• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

​3rd party hosting photo site suggestions?

Hi Mike,

As YC pointed out, on this forum there are option in the post to upload and post directly from your computer, no hosting necessary.

To take that a little further, if you are on other sites and wish to post there, this is what I found works for me.
- select the photo you want in GP
- right click and select image address from the popup box
- go to the forum post ... i.e. BearMountainBoats and select the "Img" option (option will vary by forum) .... hit Ctrl V and it deposits that image address between the option brackets
- the photo now shows in the post without having to click

Overall, it is pretty similar in function to PB, but can be a pita to figure out.

Brian

Thanks for this. Ever since I updated my operating system everything photo related has become even less user friendly intuitive. Technology eh? Remember when you could pop the hood and do a little tune up and change the oil without blinking? Now I don't even know what the heck I'm looking at under the hood. (Look away Allan, and don't even think about explaining this stuff to me.) As far as photo sharing goes the Google thingy Glenn and Cruiser have suggested will make my life so much easier. Thank you.

My dilemma, beyond being a technophobe idiot, may lie in how I write posts with attached photos.

First I ask one of my sons to load whatever new photos are on the camera. Seriously, I’ve tried and that step remains beyond me.

Then first write the trip report or DIY build or whatever. Then I spell check it, sometimes to no avail.

Then I pull up whatever photos were taken from a photo sharing site, select the best depiction of something and put the appropriate photo in the middle of the appropriate text description. Pull up the next photo, drop that in and etc.

Then copy-paste that document to a post

Those latter parts are what needs to be dinosaur simple.

I am, at least, missing the image option on Canoe Tripping, if that will work in the above described Write-then-add-photos-then-post. If it will work in that scenario. Where do I find that image option?

If I can’t couple click photos in Google, drop them into the text and just copy/paste that so it appears with photos I’ll be befuddled.

I understand about inserting photos scattered through posts.
I can't address that. I have enough problems with my phone photos being on their side. If I could only get rid of that annoyance. Should I turn the phone on its side?
It's handy for taking on the spot photos and uploading them without having to transfer to a PC but...
Mike just click on the camera icon upper left of the basic reply. It's next to the paper clip

You'll still need to have the pics on a computer of some sort
My Dino husband who insisted for years that he did not need a smartphone is now playing with his new toy constantly.

Last edited:
So, let's say you are using google photos and you want to insert a photo into a thread like this:

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Then start your trip report, or whatever in Gmail, and when you get to a spot that you want a photo, click the insert photo icon at the bottom of the email page, it's between the $ and the chain link icon, it's a little mountain with a sun, anyway when you click that it automatically opens google photos and you select the photo you want and then select "inline" in the lower r/h corner of the popup window. So do that to your heart's content. When you have finished the whole thing copy and paste it into a thread here and it should look something like what I've done here.

[/FONT]

Question for Flickr or Imgur users

I tried using Google Photos and, despite detailed PM’s and e-mails from helpful folks here, it is beyond me.

I am ready to move on to Plan C and try using Flickr or Imgur. The question is will either Flickr or Imgur work with my Mesozoic era photo posting technique.

My dilemma, beyond being a technophobe idiot, may lie in how I write posts with attached photos.

First I ask one of my sons to load whatever new photos are on the camera. Seriously, I’ve tried and that step remains beyond me.

Then first write the trip report or DIY build or whatever. Then I spell check it, sometimes to no avail.

Then I pull up whatever photos were taken from a photo sharing site, select the best depiction of something and put the appropriate photo in the middle of the appropriate text description. Pull up the next photo, drop that in and etc.

Then copy-paste that document to a post

With the defunct Community Webshots and Photobucket that part, inserting a link in the prepared text that will appear as a photo in the post, was a one-click operation that even a Cretaceous creature like myself could manage. Not so easy with Google Photos.

Flickr or Imgur? Which should I try next for the fewest clicks needed to post a photo.

Worst case scenario I can resort to the dreaded photo link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GGXZzdOvaSHPkAWb2

Mike,

Flickr or Imgur? Which should I try next for the fewest clicks needed to post a photo.

It's about 5 clicks/selections in the way I have Flickr set up... maybe there are faster setups or fewer clicks possible elsewhere but I've been with Yahoo and Flickr so long, and this works... using Chrome browser.

----------------------------

At the top of the page, "you", select Photostream

Select the photo

Below the photo select "share photo" arrow symbol

Select BBcode (you might have to select image size somewhere here, I usually don't)

Copy link inside the img sq brackets and paste into canoetripping thread

-------------------------------------------------[IMG]https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8268/29994771230_f331d17ce0_b.jpg

Still works, took about a minute.

W67bj8
... nope.

Tried "share photo" after clicking that and copying the link and pasting into canoetripping image window, doesn't work here. Copying and pasting the info inside the square brackets OTOH does...

Last edited:
Here's a quicker way to post photos from Flickr... just copy the BB code and paste into the canoetripping thread, no need to copy the portion inside the brackets described earlier, and the image link window to post photos on canoetripping threads doesn't need to be opened.

Click a photo to open it.
Click the Share icon.
Click BBCode.
Pick the size you want to display.
Copy the code and use it on your website.

From the info below, it seems Yahoo and Flickr will still allow hot-linking, which Photobucket eliminated, to save $$$ being spent on the service. From the news reports, there are millions of people swearing they'll leave PB as a result so it remains to be seen whether the competition will follow PB's need to make more money.

[url]https://help.yahoo.com/kb/flickr/sln7319.html[/url]

As with most things it's much simpler to just do it rather than explain it. As a Flickr user this is what I do:

After I've opened the photo there's an arrow that points to the right ("share"). Click that arrow and a window will pop up.

NOTE: There are options when this window pops up. You have to choose the size you want the image to be (I use "medium 800x601") and how it should be formatted (this forum and most others use "BBCode". Thankfully Flickr remembers your choices so no need to mess with these again unless you want to change them.

Anyway, after clicking the "Share" arrow the window pops up and gives you an URL that's already been highlighted. All you have to do is copy this URL and paste it wherever you want it to go.

So for me all I do is click the share arrow, type Ctrl+C to copy, and then Ctrl+V to paste the URL wherever I want the photo to appear.

When you paste the link you won't actually see the photo but you will see a bunch of gobblety gook text that magically turns into a photo after you hit the "preview" or "post" button.

I'd recommend opening a free Flickr account to try it out.

Alan

On this site you don't need anything fancy, you can just upload the pics direct from your comp, no fuss and no 3rd parties.

Brian

Back