• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

2016 Ed. Canoecraft Plans North Canoe

Reaction score
Does anybody have the newest edition of canoecraft? Should be 2016. I'm wondering specifically if there is a plan in that edition for a North canoe, 25 - 28 foot length. I saw a reference online that gives that impression. I had an inquiry about building such a beast, something approximately 24' x 46" wide. Will be used for 6 people plus gear for 7 to 10 day trips. Looks like green valley has a John winters plan available for one that can be built at 25 - 28' and 48" wide which might exactly fit the bill, just wondering if there are any alternatives out there for comparison.

I have a plan based on one of the Tappan Adney drawings, but I don't like the flared cross-sections.

Mark

Canoe Craft does not have such plans.

Check with BWCA66 ( member on this site) I believe he has a set of plans For a voyageur canoe designed by Al Gustofson,, of North West Canoe.

One thought on such a large canoe ! You need to round up crew to paddle it, and you need a place to store, when not in use. Not to mention the large amount of materials and labor.

Good Luck !

Jim

It's not for me Jim, so fortunately most of that stuff isn't my problem. Really just looking for more pictures of that design. I would use 3/8" strips and heavier glass as suggested by Martin at Green Valley. Finding a place to build it is the biggest problem for me if it happens, but that too is the owners responsibility if the project happens.

Here is the quote from the Green Valley website that led me to believe it appears in Canoecraft: "This same canoe is also featured in Ted Moores' latest 2016 edition of Canoecraft, a book which is a must for all aspiring canoe builders." Maybe there's just a picture of it? Here's the link: Green Valley North Canoe

I'll check with BWCA66.

Thanks, Mark

Last edited:
I should have said that the plans weren't in the Canoe Craft book. They may have such plans at their website ?

I did, at one time have aspirations of building such a canoe though !

Good Luck !

Jim

I bought North Canoe plans from Green Valley Boat Works a few years ago but then Jim Dodd had some other plans and he had the forms cut so I bought those from him. I believe that Green Valley still has those plans for sale. I'm still planning on getting started on my 24' canoe this winter

Greg

I bought North Canoe plans from Green Valley Boat Works a few years ago but then Jim Dodd had some other plans and he had the forms cut so I bought those from him. I believe that Green Valley still has those plans for sale. I'm still planning on getting started on my 24' canoe this winter

Greg

Greg, what were the forms for that you bought from jim? Something different from the Green Valley plans? I suppose any plans for a 6 person canoe would do. It would be easy enough to alter the shear near the stems to make it look like a fur trade era canoe.

Mark

You might check with Todd Bradshaw. He wrote the book on Sailing Canoes. He was a professional stripper builder for some time and he did build a fur trade canoe/canot du maitre replica. He hangs out some at the WoodenBoat Forum and WCHA Forum.

Fitz

Greg, what were the forms for that you bought from jim? Something different from the Green Valley plans? I suppose any plans for a 6 person canoe would do. It would be easy enough to alter the shear near the stems to make it look like a fur trade era canoe.

Mark

Mark,

I know the plans from Green Valley have an option for the fur trade era look. The ones I got from Jim I don't believe they do.
Here's a pic of the info on the plans, as Jim said this was re-drawn and changed a couple of time.

IMG_20191118_084919.jpg

Back