• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

1965 Chestnut in CT

Reaction score
Saw on Eastern Connecticut today on Craigs list. I don't know how to post the link. Heard you all talking about those. I sent the seller this website to contact Robin. Good luck.

Thanks for the link. Prices on used w/c canoes are low now, he/she doesn't show pics or mention the model. A 16 foot Chestnut Prospector without any rot/cracked ribs/ and having good stem tips/inwales/good seats needing a canvas would be somewhere around $600-1000 imo. He's asking $1200/bo. If it's a 16' Pal, it would good a little lower.
You figure you would need stripper/sandpaper/varnish/primer/paint/canvas/filler/stem bands/cane for seats/new gunnels...$3-500? if your good at finding this material....more if you need it shipped
40 hours? just a quick guesstimate.

Hours of endless pain on the ports....hours of endless pleasure paddling your own restoration.

Yeahhhhh that seems a tad high for a late production boat that needs canvas. General rule if you have to pay someone to do it is $100/foot. I offered to do one for $500 and they never responded. Go figure.

I have an upper limit of $500 for a nice boat needing canvass...cuz that always turnsinto more at some point. And that puts you @ $1200 all in when done. Unless it needs more.
As an example I paid $200 for the Champlain, and am working on one for 150 from another guy. The most we have paid was 400 for the 14 ft Chestnut. I did shell out 600 for the Jensen but I got most of that back. W/C though, it has to be as low as possible since you will be spending quite a bit to repair them.

Back