• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

1924 Old Town South Central Iowa

Nice!! One thing I noticed with a lot of wood canvas, older wood canvas, is that the stern seat are usually really far back?!?! Can some one explain that... And why it isn't the same way with modern boats?

Those are not original seats imo, I'm pretty sure someone added the center thwart. There is no center thwart in that canoe from the factory and it should only have 2 thwarts. I'm not sure about the stern seat, it sure looks like it's too far back.

That bow seat is just plain wrong and belongs in a modern canoe. That must be the original bow seat sitting on the center thwart, you can see the holes in the inwales in the bow where the original seat belongs.

With these "improvements" I would not be surprised if the canoe has been fiberglassed too.

All good observation Robin... I don'T know enough to be able to make those, but sure like the learning I get from you!! That said look like the stern seat is in the same holes as the original, I can't see any other holes in the inwales.... So if no center thwart, this canoe was ment to be use at a cottage or something like that?

Nice!! One thing I noticed with a lot of wood canvas, older wood canvas, is that the stern seat are usually really far back?!?! Can some one explain that... And why it isn't the same way with modern boats?
That's a good question, and it's not only wc boats. My first OT tripper was an 85' and when I bought a spray cover for it in 90' I had to replace the stern seat to a wider one from a new model to line up with the cockpit hole. I think they were so far back to improve paddling ease at the expense of stability.

What the Farley Mowat were they thinking? Like Robin, I would fear a bunch of less obvious improvements. Nice canoe and it could be easily made right again.

Back