• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

17-Day Temagami Tour PART THREE: Willow Island Lake - Lake Temagami

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've finished the third and final portion of my trip report in Temagami. Sorry it took so long, I just started school and I've been a bit overwhelmed!

Here is the link:

Last edited:
Wow. Wonderful read from start to finish. Great trip with stunning, magical views. I feel your frustration with the mounds of human waste decorating the backcountry. A few biotech companies have stared up canine DNA databases so that folks can identify culprit pooches by their waste left behind and track down the negligent owners. Wish there could be some sort of biotracking method for those backcountry slobs who feel the need to plop down their crap on choice campsites.

Can't believe you carried that Norquay paddle around for the whole trip! Bummer to hear it split just 2 km out but never figured they were meant for in-water use. The few that I've seen had absolutely horrid grain patterns that would significantly weaken their functional usage. Almost like they were factory seconds just painted over to look pretty. Although I read on their site that they are starting to offer paddles meant for actual use.

Please tell me you and Andrew are going somewhere to explore during the peak fall colour change. Many of us are living vicariously through you adventurous young' uns and your trip reports.

Excellent! I have been waiting for this for a while now! I'm going to show some restraint and save it for work in the morning! I have enjoyed the first two parts of this adventure immensely! In fact I'm trying not to read Murat's reply!

hehe -- i was pushing my boat thru the boot-sucking muck at the end of stiles last year, on the way to james, when i turned around a saw a bear swimming across behind be between the two points -- he looked at me like i was kinda dumb, shook the water off, and disappeared into the woods...amazing area! great report!!

Great read (as usual) and looks like a great trip. I've filed the map in my future trips file.

I won't need a ring on the trip, but congratulations on yours.

Great trip report! Long, but never slow paced or lacking interest. Your blog has strong production values, fine photos and excellent writing. Looking forward to reading your next TR.

Tony

Thanks again for sharing. Sorry your last night was so out of place, but good on you for doing at least a little to clean up after others.

I camp at Forest Service-managed roadside sites in Pisgah National Forest (NC) often, and always the crap and toilet paper starts 20 feet from the tent platform. I have no idea what is wrong with people.

Thanks for reading, everyone!
Murat V We were told that the paddle should be able to withstand some use, which was certainly not the case. We've returned it. The artist is creating a new batch with a thicker varnish to hopefully remedy the issue. You're right, they were factory seconds being used. We'll be heading out this weekend for a quick overnighter... gotta take the time when we can!
tump_lion I loved the Bob Lake Conservation Reserve! It was a nice way to get back to Lake Temagami without retracing our steps.
clemency Pigs, all of them.

ticker varnish won't prevent a paddle to split... Good wood and design will! I've use paddle that never seen varnish and they are still in use after many days of paddling. I do also reinforce the tip of my paddles with a piece of hard wood inserted at the tip with the grain running opposite of the blade grain!

You guys should make your own, it is easy and fun, and I think you guys totally have the skills...

Back