• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

17' Chestnut Prospector

I just applied the 3rd coat of paint to this Chestnut Cruiser. The first two coats where from an old can of Z Spar Chesapeake Green, but now I opened up a can of special mix that Schuyler Thomson made up for me a few years ago and it’s very close to the original Chestnut Grey so many Chestnut Prospectors and Cruisers where painted.

Its been a long trip with this canoe and I’m pretty pumped to be this far along.

A4CA4045-C320-49FD-9BF3-88E0A5AE674B.jpeg

A nice restoration Robin. One cracked rib just means that the canoe gets used instead of being a wall hanger.
I live in the Sagebrush Ocean. We are redoing our kitchen in a craftsman style and these colors on your canoes are exactly the tile colors I am looking at for the back splash above the counters.

Outdoor people ask questions like what color should I paint living room? The colors of nature are always the best choice.

It really looks fantastic. I drove by Schuyler’s old shop yesterday picking up some wood for another project. I am looking forward to restoring the 50 pounder I got from him this past spring. I hope it turns out as nice as your Cruiser.

Bob

Forget Yellowknife and come to Whitehorse Yukon!! I will treat you well and buy that canoe off you!!

Boy Howdy that sure is a nice looking canoe Robin ... I am envious. My cruiser is still sitting in Conor Mihell's garage. All the way from Yellow Knife, to Wake Field, to S.S. Marie ... and no further due to border closings. You will have to tell me how she paddles once finished .. i guess I gotta live through you until by some miracle I am allowed to cross the border to go get it.

You really have done such a wonderful job on your canoe. I love it.

Bob.

Finished the Canoe this morning, added the seats and stem bands and brought it home, another project done. My wife's patience was wearing thin and now I can address some of her projects.
It was fun working on this canoe at Schuyler Thomsons shop and my next project is my 16' Chestnut Pal (well, I think it's a Deer, same as a Pal, different year).

Now, Which way to Yellowknife?

Robin, the prospector look fantastic! I would love to have one one of these days. Hard to find up here as you guys know by now lol!! Maybe one day!!

That's gorgeous, Robin. I'd like to have a w/c canoe as a last hurrah, but would prefer a tandem in a 15' length that I could carry and give to my granddaughter.

I drove by Schuyler’s old shop yesterday picking up some wood for another project.

Bob, is Schuyler's old shop open under a new owner at the same place? If so, do you have his name and phone number? You can PM me.

That's gorgeous, Robin. I'd like to have a w/c canoe as a last hurrah, but would prefer a tandem in a 15' length that I could carry and give to my granddaughter.

Glenn, A Chestnut Bobs would be a good choice, 15’, tandem, wide but a great paddling canoe, especially when leaned a little, they where built lighter with thinner plank and ribs, easy to carry (well, maybe not for the gram weenie crowd), but not that bad, they come up on the inter web in good condition occasionally at reasonable prices. Old Town 50 lb er’s too, there’s one in Goshen, Ct to be restored, He goes by the name cheese and beans...haha

Boy Howdy that sure is a nice looking canoe Robin ... I am envious. My cruiser is still sitting in Conor Mihell's garage. All the way from Yellow Knife, to Wake Field, to S.S. Marie ... and no further due to border closings. You will have to tell me how she paddles once finished .. i guess I gotta live through you until by some miracle I am allowed to cross the border to go get it.

You really have done such a wonderful job on your canoe. I love it.

Bob.

Hey Bob, That’s a really sad story, a real shame, I feel bad for you.

Back