• Happy Launch of Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804)! 🧭🏞🏞️

14 deg to 11 deg for Bending Branches

Reaction score
Just saw a video on Canoeroots website about Bending Branches paddles being redesigned. The bad news for me is they are went from 14 deg bent to 11 deg bent shafts. Have been using 14 deg bent shafts for 30 years and Bending Branches and Gray Owls for close to 25 years. If Grey Owl has done the same thing my horde of bent shafts are going to have to last a long time.

How much of a difference will 3 deg make? Is this change due to having to use different wood types?

Am I going to be bidding on Ebay against other desperate canoeist for the last few 14 deg paddles??? Oh the drama! No, I wont tell you the location of my horde of 14 deg bents. But must train the carbon based alarm/security team to guard them well. I guess there is now another reason besides alligators not to take the collies with me on canoe trips. They have to stay home and on duty to secure the spare paddles.

I'm not sure, but most racing paddle are 11 deg, and personally, I think that 11deg is more efficient and confortable than 14, but that is obviously a matter of personnel preferences.I really doubt that it as something to do with wood species or choice. Have you tried 11 deg paddles? I'm sure it would take some getting use to, especially after 30 years of using the 14 deg, but you can do it!!

Was more or less joking around about hording. Sweeper have been looking at Foxworx paddles. They look good. Never seen one in person. Canotrouge have been drooling over ZRE carbon fiber. Believe they are 11 deg. Any change in paddle feels strange. My straight shafts just sit around gathering dust. My Candian stroke is so rusty WD-40 dose not help much.

When did I get stuck is such a rut? Yellowcanoe as I get older small changes seem to get bigger no matter if it is better science or not. Also why dose changing paddling style cause so much fuss when I can adapt from solo to tandem and barge like canoe (explorer/blazer) to a sleek touring hull (Bell Northstar) and then to a Jensen solo to a Wild fire with out feeling wrong. Each has its place. Change my paddle and it just feels wrong. Back in the day used love those aluminum and plastic "T" grip paddles in a Blue Hole canoe on the Nantahala then the next weekend going out with the freestyle group and their Lotus canoes using straight shaft wood then next going out touring with bent. Need to get out and challenge myself.

Last edited:
Challenging is good, but variety is the way to go. My ZRE and LeVass 7oz carbon bent have been siting in there bag for a long time now, wile tripping, I use paddles I make, out of Sitka Spruce, in the "traditional" form. On white water runs, I use a Zap paddle, made by Vince Zappia, but I'm working on some ww paddle designs of my own.... All that to say I don't sit and switch anymore, so my 11 deg bent are sitting in and not switching!!

I have three our four 14 degree bents I really like.. I haven't got money to waste just cause 11 is "better". I'm not racing anyway.. See no need to add more stuff for my kids to clean out when I die.

Back