• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

13 Ft. fiberglass Longwood Mohawk

Reaction score
I picked up my first canoe ever on a trade! It's a 13 ft. fiberglass mohawk, all original inside and out. This one is an older one from the original mohawk in Longwood, FL. I have already started painting it, but here is the canoe before; Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• photo3752.jpg
    photo3752.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo3753.jpg
    photo3753.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo3759.jpg
    photo3759.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo3760.jpg
    photo3760.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 4
The paint looks pretty good in the 2nd pic, nice canoe for sure. I also think it will make a nice solo, good find!
(I hope you traded a kayak for it...haha)
(no, I hope you traded all of your kayaks for it)

Last edited:
No Title

I had actually painted it green, these are just before pictures. I traded it for an older unused camera I had laying around! It's not quite done yet, but good things take time. Gonna let the final coat cure for a few days, then on to polishing the gunwale and replacing those obnoxious plastic seats.

Attachments

• photo3758.jpg
    photo3758.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 2
Good to see there is at least one craft of class on the Weeki Wachee.
Now if I had something like the Ripster I could have committed mayhem on all the downriver floating Easter Eggyaks I paddled upriver from Rogers Park. The first mile was peaceful then the tide of out of control eggs arrived
Was that Mohawk the precursor to the Royalite Solo 13 which was a neat boat ? I did the Buffalo in one years ago

Mohawk made some interesting composite canoes back in the day, including a 10 ½ foot pack canoe.

I’d guess that wee tandem might be a Skipper. Consulting an old Buyer’s Guide:
Mohawk Skipper
13 feet, 1 inch length
35 inch waterline width
17 inch stems, 12 ½ inch center depth.
65 lbs
$450 in the early 90’s

How does that compare to your tape measure and scale?

Whatever the model I would lose the tandem seating and soloize it in a heartbeat. A 13 foot tandem is a really odd duck of limited use outside Munchkinland.

Those measurements are on point. I've been looking all over the internet to findout the exact model! Yeah I already drilled out the rivets on the seats because those plastic benches are not gonna work for me haha I like it just bc of the weird size and square stern.

Great looking canoe with the new paint job. I've always love a green canoe. Can't wait to see it with the new gunwales. Have you decided to keep it as a tandem or will you turn it into a solo?

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Its just the right size for me to make it a solo. I'm claustrophobic so its all to me lol my buddies all have jon boats or yaks so I'm not worried. I put the Wales on but gotta polish them up a bit.

Those measurements are on point. I've been looking all over the internet to findout the exact model!

Aye Skipper, there is a reason I kept all those old Paddler and Canoe & Kayak Buyer’s Guides, they make a handy reference for vintage boats.

I dearly wish I had kept some Buyer’s Guides from the 80’s; the oldest I saved is from 1992. There are probably ancient Paddler or C&K’s boxed up in some older-than-me geezer’s basement.

Edit: You are now Skipper to me; I could not accurately type mguskiewicz more than once.

Last edited:
Haha that's fine with me! I always tell telemarketers if they can pronounce my name right I'll buy your product...let's just say I havent spent a dime ever.

Back