• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Leather or Kydex Sheath for Canoeing Fixed Blade Knife?

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've bought some expensive fixed blade knives the past few years from Bark River (Canadian LT, Mini Aurora) and Benchmade (Bushcrafter 162), but I've not yet tripped with any of them. They all have leather sheaths, which I have worries about. The Bark Rivers have typical deep bushcraft sheaths, but otherwise have no positive retention in case of an upset on the water. I'm also concerned about leather sheaths retaining water too long, especially with non-stainless blades.

I don't really like the look of Kydex, but a well made Kydex sheath has much better retention and is impermeable to water.

So, I was wondering if fixed blade trippers here have preferences, or good or bad experiences, with leather vs. Kydex sheaths. If you like Kydex, do you prefer two sheet "pancake" sheaths or folded one sheet "taco" sheaths? Do you recommend a drain hole at the tip?

If you prefer leather, I recall from a thread several years ago several suggestions for waterproofing treatments that I'd never heard of. Perhaps some of those could be recalled.

I have used a carbon steel knife in a leather sheath. After sharpening I have used Camellia oil on the blade with good protective results. I have never treated the leather. I also have used a Mora with a Kydex sheath. Same treatment. I never considered putting a drain hole in it.

I think it is personal preference. I wouldn’t take a $500 handmade knife tripping unless I was ok with some wear and tear or “patina”.

That being said I typically carry a leather sheath knife and an Opinel folder for cooking. Both stainless.

There are so many great knives available today. No wrong choices in my opinion.

In an other thread I showed the knife I’ve been using( I just reposted the picture) and that thing is really secure in its sheath no way it would come out w/o wanting too! I think Katharine a well made leather sheath is as good as a well made kydex one! But I’ve seen lots of poorly made kydex sheath and lots of them falling off when lightly shook off!! The only good thing about kydex is its maintenance free! That is what I have my Spyderco sheep foot rescue knife in but not the one it came with cause it was so bad I had a friend make me a better one!!

Attachments

• EAC07783-016B-4D5D-B720-582CEF95967E.jpeg
    EAC07783-016B-4D5D-B720-582CEF95967E.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 0
a kydex sheath prevents the blade from cutting through in a fall

a kydex sheath prevents the blade from cutting through in a fall

Very true and good advice! However, I am fond of traditional materials as in leather sheaths and wood handles. I keep a folder on my body and a fixed blade in my day pack that travels with me on trips. Normal care will keep a "nice knife" nice. Taking along a "nice knife" and using it for cutting chores is akin to having a "nice" paddle. You could paddle all day with a cheap paddle, but it's not the same experience. Life is short, use equipment that brings you joy. If you loose a knife, it's a good excuse to go knife shopping. Dave

Very true and good advice! However, I am fond of traditional materials as in leather sheaths and wood handles. I keep a folder on my body and a fixed blade in my day pack that travels with me on trips. Normal care will keep a "nice knife" nice. Taking along a "nice knife" and using it for cutting chores is akin to having a "nice" paddle. You could paddle all day with a cheap paddle, but it's not the same experience. Life is short, use equipment that brings you joy. If you loose a knife, it's a good excuse to go knife shopping. Dave

Nice seeing you again Rippy. I agree with you! And plus I never ever ever had a problem with a well built thick vegtan leather sheath. Foot note here, when the sheet is well fitted to the knife, with no wiggle, and the sheath made of nice thick stiff vegtan leather, if the blade is fully inserted in the sheet, I don't know how the blade could cut through the sheet.

As for taking care of things, if you are the type that doesn't care and everything need to be SS and plastic then go ss knife with plastic/G10 handle in a kydex sheath. But I tripped and hunted with carbon steel knives with wood handles in leather sheaths and regular blued rifle in wooden stock al my life and never had a problem, no rust, no knife poking through....

I'm not concerned with my knives cutting through their leather sheaths, but falling out of the sheath in the event it goes upside down in a jarring canoe dump or a fall on a portage.

So-called bushcraft sheaths have no retention straps and rely solely on modest friction to hold the knife. Over time, leather sheaths stretch and the friction becomes even less. As a septuagenarian solo tripper with diminished strength and balance, I don't want to take any risk of losing my belt knife in the water or down a hill, or cutting me if it comes out of the sheath in a fall, while in wilderness.

suzbn8y.jpg

Secondly, if a leather sheath gets wet in a canoe dump or a heavy rain, that may also stretch the leather and loosen the friction; and, in the event of cool weather, the sheath could take days to dry out.

A custom molded Kydex sheath, just for the purpose of canoe tripping, seemingly would minimize all these risks.

Although I've seen a simple workaround to add retention to some leather sheaths, I'm still interested as to whether there are any Kydex sheath fans or haters here.

Last edited:
I personally would stick with leather. I had a knife that was a little loose in its sheath and I put a couple wraps of electrical tape around the handle to tighten it up. A better fix might be to thoroughly wet the sheath and let it dry in the sun to see if it shrinks. One advantage of the tape is that if you cut yourself it makes a handy bandaid.:D

I don't think it would be a big deal if the leather sheath got wet and stayed wet for a few days,especially if it was well oiled.

If a loose leather sheath is the tipping point soak the sheath in warm water then put the oiled knife in the sheath. Put both in a food vacuum bag and turn the machine on. The pressure will give you a tight fits like new sheath when it dries

I'm not concerned with my knives cutting through their leather sheaths, but falling out of the sheath in the event it goes upside down in a jarring canoe dump or a fall on a portage.

So-called bushcraft sheaths have no retention straps and rely solely on modest friction to hold the knife. Over time, leather sheaths stretch and the friction becomes even less. As a septuagenarian solo tripper with diminished strength and balance, I don't want to take any risk of losing my belt knife in the water or down a hill, or cutting me if it comes out of the sheath in a fall, while in wilderness.

Secondly, if a leather sheath gets wet in a canoe dump or a heavy rain, that may also stretch the leather and loosen the friction; and, in the event of cool weather, the sheath could take days to dry out.

I'm still interested as to whether there are any Kydex sheath fans or haters here.

Glen,
If it is a leather dangler sheath like LT Wright uses it is highly unlikely it will ever "fall" out. I have tripped with a GNS for four week long trips, bushwacking and falling included, without a hint of the knife coming loose.
I condition my leather sheaths, but they have certainly gotten wet without stretching.
I prefer kydex, with the only real negative to me is scratching the blade. I really prefer kydex sheaths for axes. Much more convenient, and easy to put on so your not tempted to walk through the woods between uses without it. Also fits in your pocket a lot better than leather with the retaining strap.

Not a fan of the look of Kydex. Folder in my pocket while moving. Spyderco Delica or Benchmade Mini Griptilian. Barkies in my bag in leather sheaths. Treat them with Sno-Seal works well.

Fixed the picture in my last post and I'll put it here again, because it's the actual knife and sheath I'm most concerned with. It's my favorite belt knife, and most expensive knife I own. Knife is a Bark River Canadian Special LT with customized full height grind and rounded-off finger grooves. Sheath was made by Sharpshooter for BR. I want to belt wear this particular knife, not put it in a pack. I have other blades in my packs and on my PFD. If I give this knife one good shake upside down, it will fall out, and the sheath is barely broken in after only two+ years.

suzbn8y.jpg

Glen,
If you add a knife sheath dangler attachment, whatever the angle, the sheath stays up. If you were to do a hand stand, the sheath would flop upside down and the handle would be pointing up, no worries.

Glen,
If you add a knife sheath dangler attachment, whatever the angle, the sheath stays up. If you were to do a hand stand, the sheath would flop upside down and the handle would be pointing up, no worries.

MWF, your picture didn't show, but I'll dangle you in the pro-leather sheath faction. You make a good and acrobatic point about a dangler minimizing fallout. In fact, I do use a dangler on my belt knives, and have on order an expensive one for my BR Canadian, a Casstrom No. 3 dangler.

YnJz6NM.jpg

I like the idea of having a small D-carabiner instead of a solid D-ring or split O-ring. It allows easy detachment from the belt loop and re-attachment onto another sheath, a pack, a tree branch or a G string. I decided to go with the brass carabiner with a black belt loop, instead of going all black with their black carabiner.

Nevertheless, a dangler wouldn't help much if I were to affix my sheath tip with cord around my thigh. And even though I'm unlikely to do that, a free-swinging dangler doesn't completely satisfy my excessive retention worries with that Sharpshooter sheath and dear knife. A Venus flytrap or Jenny Diver could snatch it.

Glen, I love your knife! Willow leaf blade Canadian belt knives are my favorite. I have a cheap cold steel one that has a nylon composite simi- dangle sheath. Although this Canadian belt knife doesn't compare with yours, it' an amazing value, and takes and holds a good edge. there so cheap I bought an extra and don't worry about loosing it.

I really like carbon steel knives in leather sheaths. But not for canoeing. Too much water around and they get wet and rust. I carry a Swedish stainless steel fishing knife with a plastic handle and plastic sheath on my lifejacket. I use it for everything.

One good maker is Mora of Sweden. I get them from commercial fishing supply houses in Seattle.

Last edited:
Back