• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Bowron lakes info?

So, that's the thing at the bottom of the river, coming to campsite 30? I thought the portage was on the other side.

It's the photo linked on Google Earth that gives me pause. Given that photos usually make rapids look smaller than they are, that one bothers me much. Maybe it was taken in spring flood? I'd do that in the Guide, but it doesn't look like Sojourn territory (at least not as a solo option).

I would not run it. It is a waterfall. We camped there. Very restful place. You can run the chute at the top of the long port but you will have to get out.. then you can get in then you can get out to avoid the falls.. Just use the port. It is nice and flat through a rain forest until the steep slidy non rocky but very muddy descent.

I would not run it. It is a waterfall. We camped there. Very restful place. You can run the chute at the top of the long port but you will have to get out.. then you can get in then you can get out to avoid the falls.. Just use the port. It is nice and flat through a rain forest until the steep slidy non rocky but very muddy descent.

Okay, now I think I get it. Deceiving picture, as usual. That, combined with my thick head were confusing me. Yeah, portage after running the chute.

Hey, this all looks great. Now I just need to be able to cross the border and enter the park. Thanks, everybody!

Well of course. You would not believe me if I listed all the trips I have been either forced to cancel due to fire, or diverted, or chased out of by incoming smoke and flames. And if that doesn't happen, there is sure to be a devastating fire within the next year after I leave. By now, I almost take this sort of ominous news as a sign that I am meant to at least try to go there. OTOH, people probably should be bribing me to stay away from their favorite places. Just planning a trip sometimes gets a place burning. Then I figured coastal Alaska was a safe bet, but nooo, that had its own trouble.

It didn't use to be that way. But some time around the late eighties, my adventures got more um....interesting.

Last edited:
Steve its a pretty long drive fer us.. We went across to Alaska in 2017 and had Bowron Lakes as our first stop. We got to Alberta and the wildfires started and we knew that trip wasn't going to happen just then. We tootled around Alaska for a month and on our return BC Parks had just opened Bowron so we were able to do the loop. I guess the point is that if you can watch the trends and have no conflicts in your schedule you can likely find a time slot when the park is open.

Another place up there to consider is Wells Gray Provincial Park. It's just south of Bowron Lakes, and might be a nice add-on or replacement w/r/t fires. It's a pretty well-known paddling area--not as diverse an experience as Bowron, but good country. I was planning to go there in 2017 when they had all the fires which closed everything (did Bowron the year before, so looking for something different)--I was in Washington at the time.

Steve its a pretty long drive fer us.. We went across to Alaska in 2017 and had Bowron Lakes as our first stop. We got to Alberta and the wildfires started and we knew that trip wasn't going to happen just then. We tootled around Alaska for a month and on our return BC Parks had just opened Bowron so we were able to do the loop. I guess the point is that if you can watch the trends and have no conflicts in your schedule you can likely find a time slot when the park is open.

Sounds like a good plan. And my schedule is pretty wide open.

Another place up there to consider is Wells Gray Provincial Park. It's just south of Bowron Lakes, and might be a nice add-on or replacement w/r/t fires. It's a pretty well-known paddling area--not as diverse an experience as Bowron, but good country. I was planning to go there in 2017 when they had all the fires which closed everything (did Bowron the year before, so looking for something different)--I was in Washington at the time.

Thanks, Mason. I'll look into that.

Back