• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Your inspirational people or canoe heroes?

Not hero's per se, but heavy, influential and life long 'guides'...

For me, growing up in the dry glaciated mountains of California; the range of light - Sierra Nevadas -the travels of John Muir, the photography of Ansel Adams, literally, right out our back door...

Then it was the incomparable Sigurd Olsen plus other well known authors of the northwoods, like Rustrum and Patterson.

Lastly we were fortunate enough to have as a 50 year family friend, a real pioneer author of guidebooks, backpacking and alpine climbing tomes and sharp edged environmentalist, Harvey Manning from WA, who regularly blasted open my horizons and thinking for years and years.

I'm not sure hero is the right word, but there are a few people I owe gratitude to for my canoeing enthusiasm. My Dad, first and foremost, who instilled a love of the outdoors in me, and took me on many padding fishing and hunting trips. My first real trips were about 30 years ago, under the guidance of our former Outers leader, John Arts. John and I have very different styles, but he's the guy who got me into wilderness tripping. The last "hero" is this darn thing called the "Interwebs" which has allowed me to explore many aspects of canoeing I never even new existed, and also to meet a wide variety of canoeists, sometimes in even in person.

Like Mem not sure hero is the right word but this teacher opened up my eyes to the woods, canoe, rivers, outdoor adventure at a very young age. Known only to a few without a big name out there. A green beret in Vietnam, his claim on one trip was it was a beautiful country with amazing birds (he's a birder) except for the bullets and bombs. He introduced me to rock climbing, hiking, canoeing, X country skiing, winter camping, mountain climbing and had me join in on trips he told me later he wouldn't consider any other kid my age, guess I was crazy enough at the time and there was a twenty year difference in our ages.
While other kids were playing organized sports I was out tooling around in the wilds with this guy. I think I turned out better for the life lessons learned while hanging out this gentleman.

dougd

Gotta go with my Dad, he put me in a canoe when I was young and took me to the BWCA n 1966. Plus when I turned 15 and bought my own canoe and my 16 year old buddy bought a car we wanted to head to the BWCA by ourselves, Mom said no - Dad said go! And Mom wondered why I always listened to Dad first.

Also love the Singing Wilderness by Sig and Canoeing with the Cree.

Well I didn't mean heroes as stars.. Often our inspiration comes from close to home or what we read..Maybe hero is not the right word. My heroes aren't flamboyant. I learned alot from David Yost when he sat down at a picnic table at Fish Creek Ponds with me and one other and outlined some aspects of canoe design on a block of wood with a pencil.. Also Dave Curtis under a tent at the Solo Canoe Rendezvous as he passed out materials used in canoe building .. the goods and bads of each.. ( this was free too)
And Paul Meyer as he sat in the back of several presentations.. mulling over canoes. Finally coming forth.. " I think I would like to try building canoes". He is one of the least flamboyant people I know!
He did.. Now Colden Canoes are not only some classic designs but very well made. Made in a barn..
Its like eating in Canada.. The best food comes from the least pretentious exterior.

Neil Phillips, Bill Sterns and George Walsch.
I started whitewater racing/paddling in 1970, had already been paddling marathon flatwater a couple years. Back then there were no schools or paddling centers to go take a class or learn the way you do today. So I just started going to WW races, and being a marathon paddler I was pretty fast so I just followed a close as I could to the best paddlers and followed their lines and did what they did. The 3 men mentioned above were the gurus of Maine WW paddling and Maine was the center of the open canoe world at that time. (I'm sure they still think they are).
​I was in the USAF at the time at Pease AFB in Portsmouth NY, so I was in the right place at the right time. It wasn't a good time to be a military person (Vietnam) but the paddling community was very open to me , Thank You. The marathon sit and switch technique was a new phenomena at the time, that I was using from my marathon racing. There was a race on the Upper Dead that was the Maine State championship that year. My cousin Bruce was with me, he was also Air Force and stationed in Maine, he was Para Rescue and was in a full leg cast at the time. He was hanging around the start and finish, and someone said about me that guy's a sissy , doesn't know how to paddle switching sides all the time. Bruces comment was, "he may be a sissy but only one of your Maine paddlers came in ahead of him". That guy was Neil Phillips. It wasn't long though before everyone was sit and switch. Paddles were evolving too, the big banjo paddles etc, Bent shafts, big vs. small blades 10-15 degree bends. They were all wood at first, then the first composit blades were a foam core with Kevlar wrap, still have one of those. Then carbon came out, several people experimenting with it, Greg Barton had one of the first successfill carbon paddles that was both very light and strong enough, still have one of those as well.

​ One of my most memorable whitewater runs was through Poplar Hills Falls on the Dead River in Maine at the WW Nationals in '75 or '76 sometime in there. Neil Phillips entered the rapids a boat length ahead of me and I came out a boat length ahead. Then there was a relatively easy sprint to the finish. Roland Mullens was first, having recently won silver at the world championships, Ralph Vincent was 2'nd I was 3'rd just ahead of Neil Phillips. I remember Neil coming up to me afterwards with a big smile and shaking my hand and congratulating me, He doesn't know how much that meant coming from him.
I learned a lot from following those guys down the river.

No one on this forum will know any of these "famous" people. But I owe them for my love of a paddle.

My GodFather had a camp in the early fifties, on a cypress lake in North Louisiana, and never said no when I asked if I could go paddling. My folks arrived late one day to find their 5 year old paddling alone in and out of the cypress trees. It was a narrow cypress board boat, homemade, and fell somewhere between a pirogue and a canoe. I could run a paddle or skull before I could ride a bike.
Waterlogged and heavy, they never worried about me from then on, as it was a bear to paddle, and they thought I couldn't get very far in it. Wrong.

First true canoe experience was in Boy Scouts at a summer aquatics camp. Two weeks of canoeing and rowing, including swamped recoveries. Had a counselor named "Tiny". Never knew his last name, but needed to mention him here.
Spent the next couple summers returning to be a sponge soaking up everything Tiny could share about canoeing skills.

Scoutmaster Kenneth Finch allowed several of us to convince him it would be a stellar idea to take the troop on a 7 day trip down the Buffalo River in Arkansas.
Only those who had earned their canoeing and lifesaving merit badges could make the trip. So in 1965, I took my first real canoe trip. Seven rented aluminum canoes made the trip, and all were returned without damage, including us. Every summer after that we made at least one 7-10 day canoe trip as a troop.

Rented a ton of canoes through college, but never had my own until much later. Got Married in '71, and my bride always was ready to go paddling. Still is today. She is an inspiration for paddling adventures, as it seemed that she has always been ready with encouragement, whether going tandem or me going solo.
Without a wonderful paddling partner, I could have easily gotten away from canoeing, as I also enjoy my sails, outboards, pirogues, and Go-Devils.
After 45 years we continue to be very comfortable in a canoe together. And she also enjoys the camping side of canoe tripping as well.

And can't forget my buddy Kyle, who thirty years ago gifted me a well used 16' Blue Hole. Which is rather comical as there is not a lot of whitewater in Louisiana. Whitewater here is usually accompanied by a hurricane. Lost a great Perception expedition yak to Katrina. Since then we have added a couple more canoes.

"Your inspirational people or canoe heroes?"

My Godfather John
Tiny
Mr. Finch
My Bride
Kyle

Thanks to you all.

Last edited:
I have Soo many inspirational people ! A lot of them right here !!!

Thanks !

Jim

Agree that Sigurd Olsen and John Muir have written very well... the sense of wilderness comes through and the descriptions are believable. After finishing The Lonely Land, Olsen has taken you there, now the trip is over and time to return home... a little sad that it's over but that's how well it works... the magic is there for a while and after it's over it's back to plain old reality.

Adding on to some of the historical accounts in this thread, I found this chapter in Gabriel Sagard's account of a year spent in Huronia at Indian villages on Georgian Bay, Lake Huron, 1623-1624... describing the return journey by canoe to Quebec. Maybe more heroic than inspirational as a result of the hardship and endurance, and throughout the book, the details written describe a very different time in service to God, the French King, and dealing with the realities of the land and Huron life in those times.

At the beginning of the book, "The Long Journey to the Country of the Hurons", the description of canoe travel into Huronia from Quebec on the St. Lawrence, up the Ottawa river, through Nipissing and into Lake Huron is very brief and simply mentions the difficulties... Sagard may have been too exhausted to document the journey in.

The return is covered in greater detail, when he seems to have become hardened to travel after a year spent with the Hurons (for example, inbound, he could not stomach the sagamite, the Huron boiled corn staple eaten along the canoe route, but on the return had become used to it).

Included are descriptions of the leakiness and fragile character of birchbark canoes, an Algonquin sturgeon feast at Beausoleil Island, taking the wrong channel at the French river delta, the difficult portage through wetlands near Mattawa, the dangerous rapids and portages along the Ottawa river, being harassed by Algonquins for trade and payment of passage through their lands at Allumette Island, eating wildlife killed along the way, and eventually the arrival at Quebec where ships were waiting to sail back to France.

Link to the first page of about a dozen describing the canoe travel, but the entire book is well worth reading, the beginning includes the account of the long sea journey from France to Canada, with descriptions of pirates, storms, illness, calms, fishing, and islands and features along the Canadian coast and the Gulf of Saint Lawrence:

http://link.library.utoronto.ca/cha...=sagard&searchtype=Title&startrow=1&Limit=All

Illustration from the 1636 original that gives some sense of the times... IIRC the French was translated into English about 1930.

http://www.library.mcgill.ca/rarebook/EXHIBIT/GRANV18.JPG

My inspiration was a close friend of my Dad's, Rev. Richard Burns, the consumate outdoorsman (hunt, fish trap, camp, canoe, horses). A strange relationship 'cuz my Dad's idea of roughing it was a picnic in the backyard. Dick was active with BSA at one time then started taking organized groups of college kids on 10 day canoe treks to Algonquin. At age 14 & 15 I had just discovered the joy of canoe camping and wanted to be part of that experience as much as I wanted a driver's license. So at 16 Dick took me with the '64 expedition (college kids were boring) and the rest is history.:D:D:D

Whoever was the catalytic force behind getting the 4 paddlers in the last photo into canoeing should get a nod towards hero worship. It's not tripping, but it is canoeing. Photos from this summer on the Tuckasiegee Gorge in North Carolina. Sitting in the bottom eddy below a Class II section was I ever surprised to see these tandem canoes drop down.

Tuckasiegee Gorge-005 (3).JPG

AND THE NEXT GENERATION

Tuckasiegee Gorge-007 (2).JPG

AND then. For those interested. A brief film by Amos Burg which attempts to chronicle B. Homstrom's second float down the Colorado. He was never very happy with the fifteen minutes of fame that resulted from the film.

No Title

Justin Trudeau.

Though I'm not Canadian, I'm having a little Canuck-envy looking at how much fun your PM likes to have on the water.

-M

Attachments

• photo5716.png
    photo5716.png
    390.3 KB · Views: 1
John Muir started my whole love affair with the outdoors.

Bill Mason has probably been the biggest inspiration to me regarding canoeing and tripping. As for technique - Harry Rock.

Good mention of George Dyson, Muskrat. Guy defines the term "outside the box". Runs in the family, I guess. Fascinating story - The Starship and the Canoe.

But generally - a lot of you here have inspired me.

Mike, Kim, Robin, Mem, Alan, and others......

What a great forum this is!

Without getting into a lengthy explanation for each.....

Farley Mowat, for writing books that piqued my interest in the outdoors and adventure

Chris Walker and Ross Wood, the high school teachers who ran the Outdoor Ed program at the school, introducing me to hiking and canoeing. Volunteering and tolerating our rambunctiousness and youthfulness and taking me on those adventures. This is you Memaquay! You will have a lasting impact on many of those kids lives.

Bill Mason, for writing so many informative books and his great videos which has been almost my sole source of technical instruction.

All of you! The collective knowledge of the world of the internet is astounding. Good advice, first hand experiences, travel advice, gear reviews and on an on.

Back