• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

York Pack as solo wannigan

Reaction score
I have been dreaming of The Little North in Ontario, which took me down a wormhole of reading and learning about Camp Keewaydin that trip extensively in that area using wood/canvas canoes and wannigans with tumplines, etc., which made me pick up a copy of Heb Evans' (longtime 'bay guide') book Canoe Camping in which he opines on essentially the Keewaydin tripping style, including the merits of the wannigan.

I'm putting my river solo outfit together, and I'm drawn to giving the wannigan concept a fair shake, though one of the plastic variety.
Enter the York Pack:

. york pack 1.JPG

I am seeking some way to portage this rectangular monstrosity, Currently, I'm simply imagining rigging some backpack straps through a few of its various plastic loops. Perhaps affixing some closed cell foam on the top as padding for my back? As a nod to Keewaydin and Heb, I'd like to include a tump as a carrying option...

york pack 2.JPGyork pack 1.JPG

Any collective wisdom about how to rig this for portaging?
Thanks in advance.

Definitely something to play with. Good having 2 handle placements and strap locations, and plastic has advantages over wood. Not sure about the interior. Wannigans essentially being a chest/box with a lid, this York looks closer to a clamshell arrangement. I suppose you could secure items inside in some way.

....which made me pick up a copy of Heb Evans' (longtime 'bay guide') book Canoe Camping in which he opines on essentially the Keewaydin tripping style, including the merits of the wannigan.

Well, I wasn't familiar with Herb Evans so Google helped me out, here's an interesting history, http://www.ottertooth.com/keewaydin/Fame/heb_evans/heb_evans.htm

I looked for his book "Canoe Camping", out of my price range but I'll keep searching. Interesting thread imo.

York Boxes are just big empty boxes with an O ring to help keep out water. They are not waterproof nor divided in side like a wannigan can be. And they are not light. I have one and reserve it for non portage trips. The beast a NRS Canyon weighs 13 lbs and carries 101 liters. Little brother Boulder is 8.8 lbs and 45 liters. No they are not hinged.. You just yank on the top straight up till the suction gives way.

They make blue barrels look like lightweights. However the boxes make better tables and seats. That is if you are not doing the Mc Crea coroplast table top for barrel.

I'm figuring on putting a small cardboard box or two inside as a divider of sorts. It tips my bathroom scale at 8.2 pounds, which is obviously not the lightest thing around, but it's not a deal breaker for river tips with moderate portages. It may not be full submersion waterproof, but I bet it'll do just fine. This will be my kitchen wannigan, full of pots/pans and cooking staples, along with food for the day. I'll have a barrel for other food, and a pack for tent/clothes/tarp, etc. Any suggestions on where to pick-up backpack straps?

There is a small gap in the rubber seal, presumably to allow the lid to be removed, otherwise a change in air pressure would clamp the lid down tight. It would have been better if they had included some sort of screw down valve like Peli use on their cases.
I don't use ours, it's simply too big to heavy for me to lift when loaded. I'd happily sell it but shipping would be horrendous. I do use the smaller model, I like how it is more easily accessible than a barrel. I keep intending to make up a harness and straps but never get around to it. I will more likely end up buying a "flat bed" style harness from Granite Gear or NRS.
If you are looking for straps then try a outdoor store that sells quality backpacks. Many manufacturers offer different sized shoulder straps and the stores will carry the spares. You can also pick them up online. ULAEquipment out of Utah make great packs and they sell should straps on their site.

I'm figuring on putting a small cardboard box or two inside as a divider of sorts. It tips my bathroom scale at 8.2 pounds, which is obviously not the lightest thing around, but it's not a deal breaker for river tips with moderate portages. It may not be full submersion waterproof, but I bet it'll do just fine. This will be my kitchen wannigan, full of pots/pans and cooking staples, along with food for the day. I'll have a barrel for other food, and a pack for tent/clothes/tarp, etc. Any suggestions on where to pick-up backpack straps?
Mine is fine for non portage trips and rummaging ,even if there is no divider, is a lot easier than head immersion in a barrel. We have used ours on river trips. Presumably your York box has loop slots for straps though I can't quite tell from the picture.
Here is a source for the straps that work for my box which has the loop slots https://www.nrs.com/nrs-1-loop-straps/pkvc
they are just straps to keep the box closed tigthly. Something like a Knu Pack backpack frame might work well.

Last edited:
I am seeking some way to portage this rectangular monstrosity, Currently, I'm simply imagining rigging some backpack straps through a few of its various plastic loops. Perhaps affixing some closed cell foam on the top as padding for my back? As a nod to Keewaydin and Heb, I'd lik to include a tump as a carrying option...

Any collective wisdom about how to rig this for portaging?
Thanks in advance.

This would not fit my tripping style but I can envision several " Do It Yourself " carry systems. I don't know your skill level but if you are determined to attach a carry harness to this box it may be easier to modify a harness to attach to it than to make one from scratch. There are harnesses available like this or this that could easily be adapted to carry this box.

Last edited:
The rubber seal on my York Pack goes all the way around. I have heard that the newer NRS boxes have a small gap. Yellowcanoe, I have plastic straps, but thanks for passing along the link to the NRS ones.
Given the number of handles, I'm thinking of just adding two backpack straps and perhaps a bit of closed cell foam on the lid for back padding when carried. Haven't seen a place online that sells backpack straps....

The rubber seal on my York Pack goes all the way around. I have heard that the newer NRS boxes have a small gap. Yellowcanoe, I have plastic straps, but thanks for passing along the link to the NRS ones.
Given the number of handles, I'm thinking of just adding two backpack straps and perhaps a bit of closed cell foam on the lid for back padding when carried. Haven't seen a place online that sells backpack straps....
My thought Tom is that arrangement will put all the pressure on your shoulders while a packframe will transfer some weight to your hips. A consideration with a box that can carry very heavy stuff.

That's a reasonable thought. Given the number of loops as attachment points, perhaps I could add backpack straps and a waist belt without using a packframe. I'm hoping to be able to get the lid off and on easily, so I'm hoping to avoid putting the york pack in a pack or packframe.

Thanks BV, for the tip of GG for shoulder straps & waist belt. They should be the cat’s arse to restore my 1970’s aluminum Trail Wise pack frame, the one Colin Fletcher made famous. Great for packing gawkey heavy loads like chain saws, outboard motors, moose quarters and such.

Why not just build a wannigan? Lots of how-to vids on line. On the plus side, at least your York Pack is the right color.

Well, I already own the york pack and have no skills or interest in building a wooden wannigan. And, I think for my tripping needs (solo or one other person), the york pack is about the perfect size anyway.

I have a pack frame with a shelf on the bottom designed for hauling stuff. The shelf folds up and down depending if you need it or not.

I carry my 60 barrel on here, along with my boots, fishing rods, fish finder and anything else I want to strap on.

It is a full on backpacking frame with proper straps and waist belt. You could strap the York on there with ease. Also, if I ever did blow out a pack strap (knock on wood) I can strap the pack on here as well.

Back