• Happy Birthday, Liberace (1919-87)! 🤵🏻🎹🕎

Xmas Gear.

Reaction score
What'd you get for Christmas? My only canoe related present was this glue dispenser. It seems to work pretty well.

IMG_1729.JPG

Great control and when you let go of the bulb is sucks the glue back in so no more drips or dried mess at the tip.

IMG_1730.JPG

This is a great idea from this forum. Put a glue holder every few forms.

IMG_1731.JPG

Looks like a great tool that I could use at work. I got a nice pair of LL Bean backcountry pants.

Last edited:
An interesting illustrated guide to everything outdoorsy. Many very handy tips for canoe tripping from knot tying to fishing.

PC251681.JPG

My son also made me a fillet knife and sheath. Cocobolo handle and leather stained to match. Guess I'll have to catch some fish.

PC251677.JPG

I showed him the knife threads here and the stuff Rippy makes, showing him scales, grinds, heat treatment and shop machinery...and blew his mind. He asked me as I scrolled through the many pages of Viking funerals, warthogs, spaceships and Spam "What the heck is that all about? And what's the story behind that weird spangly sheath??" I calmly replied "Son. You wouldn't understand. Half the time even I don't understand what the heck we're talking about. But it's all good. It's all very good."

The only present I got was a bottle of wine. Canoe related in that I can either drink it to celebrate a few successful canoe builds or use it to dull the pain if they go horribly wrong.

Alan

I had been talking about getting a Trangia for awhile this year, seeing it as an alternative to the Naphtha stoves of Christy's that just don't like me. Although I have a single burner propane stove which I could take, the bottles of gas are cumbersome and empty still need to be packed out. So the Trangia looked like a simple alternative. So, I got the alcohol stove and a Bothwell Voyageur stick stove to use it in. Once it warms up a bit I'll give it a go. I'm not trying it with a -30C windchill.

A month or so ago Christy brought home a 5 gallon pail of alcohol, so that should last for awhile.

yeah -- i've read 'canoe lake' and also his more recent non-fiction 'Northern Light: The Enduring Mystery of Tom Thomson and the Woman Who Loved Him' -- which is interesting because he grew up in the area and remembers some of the people involved. -- he has a nice journalistic rather than academic narrative style that makes for a good easy read.

I haven't been to a leaf game since the first season in the ACC -- seems they haven't shown up for all that many in the last fifteen or so either, but it should be a good night out anyway :) i hope -- most of the time the oshawa generals are a better bet around here

I got all kinds of goodies! So spoiled. Andrew gave me Woolpower long johns and a trangia stove with a kettle which is soooo cute. I also got a new camp kitchen kit, a survival guide book, a book about the mapping and history of Lake Superior, a Temagami toque, and a bit of money to put towards our winter tent. I gave Andrew a warm sleeping bag liner (which is also a gift for me so I can stop calling him "Ol' Smelly Bag") and wax for his Fjall Raven shorts. We also ordered gifts for ourselves.. Wool overalls from Woolrich because I found them online for over 50% off on Urban Outfitters, of all places.
And here I thought we were supposed to be taking it easy on the gift-giving this year!

What'd you get for Christmas? My only canoe related present was this glue dispenser. It seems to work pretty well.

Great control and when you let go of the bulb is sucks the glue back in so no more drips or dried mess at the tip.

This is a great idea from this forum. Put a glue holder every few forms.

That's pretty fancy. Looks like it will last, if you keep it clean.
Glad to see you put it to use already !

Jim

Santa said I could order more epoxy, so I did. I ordered a 3 gal kit of RAKAS's UV- inhibited epoxy. Half slow, and half fast hardener. I'll be using this on my Carbon fiber Nokomis.

Jim

This winterish storm has given me the chance to try out my Christmas merino wool long johns. Comfy and warm.

Back