• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

WTB solo tripper in Texas

Reaction score
you guys have all the good canoes, there is nothing here, but maybe somebody knows somebody that has a brother in law. solo tripping is all but dead here, trying to get it going again, up to 4 friends now with solos but they have to be bribed with good beer. planning a trip to BW, MN. I have been to Quetico was told that BW is cleaner and better camp sites, will check it out next summer. lam looking for light weight solo- no tandems. located in Texas. Cheers, JAWS

If I was you I'd start looking for boats in the upper midwest and pick it up enroute to the Boundary Waters. BWCA.com would be a great place to look as well as Minneapolis Craigslist.

I'd give you a good deal on my woodstrip Kite. Same hull as an Osprey except for the tumblehome. 15'x30". Weighs 40 pounds. I'm in NW Iowa. Let me know if you want more info.

Alan

thanks Alan, but I may have to do some repairs and get it rigged and tested way before trip.

Start a search alert on craiglist and expand your area way out. You will get emails all day every day. Mostly junk aluminums and pelicans but nice boats do come up from time to time. Just be patient. Try to get in contact with some Texas water safari guys. Racers will have boats that will suit you. Also keep an eye on the gear section of the MR340 forum (rivermiles.com). A lot of Texans head up here for the race and there are often boats for sale in Texas and Oklahoma. Southwestpaddler.com has good info for our regions.

OK ! How about building your own !

Lots of great help here !

​ Machining your own strips will save a ton of money. A skilsaw and a cheap table with a couple of bits router is about all you need to produce quality strips !

Jim

yea I will be patient, I dont have the expertise you guys have so dont post up much but read all yours and feel like I know you and the boats you own, last year I didnt know who Curtis was or where Swift boats were made, and now know why they named that canoe Magic. I have the highest regard for boat builders that build there own, all the thought and time then find a way to make the next one better.

Eh. My first canoe was crap, second boat wasn't much better. Work boat finish on them all. They may not look pretty, but they weigh the same as the commercial model for half the price. They get scratched up right away anyways, and I still spend more time at the launch than I should because people are always asking questions. It takes no skills you can't learn, a few tools, your canoe doesn't have to come out as pretty as Jim's or Alan's.

Back