• Happy Scream Day! 😱

WTB: Hemlock Peregrine

Your Peregrine is young. The boat is much more versatile than you know at this point. It will handle two foot waves. It will handle 30 mph winds though the paddler might not be thrilled.

I have handled it in such conditions and found it does OK.. Nothing is much fun when the wind blows. P responds very poorly to sweeps so put that tool away. When the c hits the fan its time for sharp stern draws with plenty of torso rotation and sharp bow draws when the bow needs to move back into the wind.. Forget stern pries.

Have a little fun with it and put it on edge.. It'll hang at the shoulder to accentuate turns. The real issue is if the paddler can remain parallel to tree trunks.

A spray cover really helps with the wind.

Last edited:
I'm a bit stumped why you say it performs poorly in wind. Waves I can see... it is very low profile. I found my torso the biggest resistance to wind in mine.

As far as the sweeps I have to only slightly disagree, although maybe I'm not understanding how one is completing that task. For me, I lean into the rail heeling the boat to my onside ever so slightly as I sweep. I'm not sure that this a kosher technique, but I've found it very acceptable with this boat. You can feel the point at which it 'breaks' free very easily as you lean in, and thus turn sharper. The same can be done from the bow with a draw, although I find it is easy enough to just add a little forward rudder/static draw before you start your stroke if you have some forward momentum But I'm not talkng about river travel here, just maneuvering on flat waters.

I will agree a stern pry doesn't do much, even as a corrective forward stroke. I found this very disappointing the first time I was in this boat because it had been how I'd J in a tandem.

Oddly enough, a Canadian stroke works AMAZINGLY well as forward stroke in this boat. I can only guess that upon correction I'm applying some upward pressure to heel every so slightly. I found this by watching another Peregrine owner paddle. This is a good, relaxing way to move, especially when in waves or wind when the boat needs lots of correction. It also adds some stability.

Someone else taught me a way to be ridiculously smooth and efficient with this boat though. The trick, and maybe not a trick to some, is to pull the paddle out of the water perfectly parallel to the keel. It requires almost no outward pressure if you do it right i.e. as in a J or pitch but a very precise paddle position upon exit. I find it a bit fatiguing because the paddle has to travel so far back before it can exit, although most of the stroke not applying power. You would still twist at your hip like a pitch but with no real effort. Also, obviously, it doesn't really work well with a bent shaft.

Anyway I found that paddling a low sheer boat like this, compared to say my Keewaydin in solo mode on rougher waters was like night and day. Most of my effort on the big boat was keeping going straight and I could barely manage any speed. In calm water the Kee is fun to solo, and quite easy. I found it's limit of practicality in the real world though. Hence I'm surprised to hear a converted tandem paddled solo does better in wind and waves.

PS I have resolved if I do paddle any big water solo to carry a double blade for just such situations. As much as I don't like the motion, it is certainly easier to keep moving forward with one. Also I'd be curious if dryness was an issue.

Last edited:
Back