• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Wooden Paddles

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a pair of solid paddles . I built a15' wood/canvas canoe
I had bought several pairs of paddles from Dri-ki in Maine, they're excellent paddles but no one seems to be responding. Please let me know of any good paddle makers that make simple solid ash otter-tail paddles at reasonable prices .

I have always enjoyed talking with Mike from Badger Paddles. Great paddles, and his Prices are reasonable, he will also make one unfinished for you if you want to oil it or finish it yourself.

good luck with your canoe paddle search.

Bob.

Welcome to the site, you should post some pictures of that wood canvas canoe you built on the wooden canoes section of this website. We have quite a few wood canvas canoe folks here, we even have a secret handshake! (just kidding about the handshake, but it's in the works).

About Dri Ki paddles. I stopped at the hardware store in the small town of Patten, Maine last year and met a guy looking at my wood canvas Chestnut Cruiser on my truck. We got to talking and it turns out he is the son of the original builder of Dri Ki paddles, Raymond Porter of Porter Woodworking. His name is John Porter, he told me Dri Ki stopped making paddles and now John makes some at his home there in Patten. He also has some for sale in the hardware store in Patten.

Anyway, he said I could post his phone number if anyone is looking for wooden paddles in the Dri Ki style, he makes both traditional grips and Maine Guide grips.
I don't know if he ships, he works out of his garage iirc.

John Porter 207 267 1688

I have a beavertail from Porter's Woodworking I bought maybe ~12 years ago, back when Kittery Trading Post carried them. Maybe that was the prior generation of Porter's? It's a delightful one piece paddle, slim, nicely ovalized shaft with a bit of spring. I don't use it much anymore since it's long (66") and my tastes run to shorter paddles now, but the workmanship is outstanding.

Back