• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

wood ticks

Red;

The Deer tick I got last year came from the Wallace Lake area, which is really only west of you geographically, albeit 50km or so. We don't see many deer up that far, but they travel with moose now too so they can be everywhere.

The tick I had was on my back at the shoulder blade and I couldn't reach it on my own and wasn't aware it was there until several days later when it got itchy as heck. The bulls-eye rash didn't show up until several hours After the tick was removed. Now, this particular tick was a different colour, it was a light tan, pinkish, where as most wood ticks are dark brownish, and we had seen several of those lighter ticks at the site we stayed at prior to my getting bit. Best practice now is, if you get bit by Any tick, go to the doctor and let them put you on the medication for the 3 week course. It is far better to be safe in this way than miss a Deer tick and get lyme disease.

It happened to a friend of Christine's last year, the tick was misdiagnosed as a wood tick and by the time they realized it, Lyme disease was present and is causing the fellow all sorts of issues and it is much more difficult to get rid of Lyme disease once you have it.

The tick that got me was likely in the canoe, on the packs and portaging them likely transferred the tick to me. It could have gotten me from the packs in the truck on the way home too, crawling onto my seat.

It helps to do a tick check. If with someone out tripping, have them check your back daily, check theirs. We do it all the time. You cannot always "feel" the bite.

OM.. Permethrin should not be applied directly to skin.
Here is more for you to consider.
http://sawyer.com/permethrin-ticks/

Frankly ticks are not a big deal to me. Perhaps that is from living for years in the Lyme CT area.. Ticks are not new. And for sure we did not always swathe our kids in clothing top to toe back then. I do usually wear long sleeves and pants while camping though.

With this last winter though I am seeing fewer ticks.. Its still getting down to freezing at night.

Mem, we do have some here, wood ticks I believe. I saw one last Monday in our radio repeater shack on the 801.

I have heard of them being seen too Clem, and my dog had one about six years ago. However, I've still been tick free, and i spend a lot of time in the bush. It's the dang deer that are starting to move in. Apparently they are common around Beardmore now, and have even been seen on the Goldfield. They bring the ticks and the brainworm that kills off the moose. Think I'll get a couple of deer tags this year!

I was around Kilburn this week and they were reddish brown. I was very careful to shake out the tents, and packs well before coming home and nothing is coming in the house. Seems permethrin is not what I thought it was. Funny thing YC this winter was the coldest in about 100 years and yet the ticks are making a strong showing. Maybe it is I've never noticed them before. How could I have not noticed, getting itchy just thinking about it.

Mem, the deer are moving north in large numbers and therefore the moose population is plummeting, moose tags have cut drastically by the MNR for this year. Wolf population is on the rise too, maybe time for some "fur harvesting" along with those deer tags?

I used to live in the height of Deer Tick territory for Ontario, near Long Point on Lake Erie. The health unit there recommends long pants and socks be worn and to use Deet on pants etc. to repel the little buggers.

I'd heard of wood ticks in Manitoba long before visiting family there. I underestimated their numbers though. One trip, we enjoyed several tick free day hikes in Riding Mountain NP, before wandering into a tall grass trail section. Wow! I was covered in a matter of seconds, and yes, they freaked me out. Here in deer country (S. Ont.) deer ticks are rampant, but I've only had one so far. One's enough to make me wear long pants and shirt sleeves while gardening, and smelling of Eau de DEET.
We're planning a late season canoe trip north, and wonder if the numbers drop off in October? Thanks to whomever mentioned taking mirrors. We'll need to make tick checks part of our camp routine.

The idea of putting something ( repellent, insecticide, Vaseline, gasoline, stove fuel, etc) directly on the tick while it is attached is not recommended. The tick will throw up Into you, thus releasing the nasty bacteria into your bloodstream. I'll try to find a link later today, as I hate to be the guy who spreads unsubstantiated advice on the internet.

Just got back from canoeing on a lake and found 5 deer ticks on me. How do those buggers get on me when im in the middle of a lake? Its weird. I go fishing in a boat and never have a tick. Take the canoe and find them all over.

I've heard ticks come from tall grass, Not trees. Can anyone clarify??

​Depends on what type of tick and where you live. Around here (NW Iowa with wood ticks) they're in the grass and if you want to avoid them you walk in the woods for the month or so they're most active. When I went to N Minnesota once in the spring as opposed to my normal fall travels I figured I'd be fine since I'd be in the woods. Not so much.....worst ticking I've ever got. Pulled about 75 from my dog before we got in the car and didn't count how many off myself, both deer and wood ticks.

Ticks are annoying but I don't get too bothered by them. Most of them are found long before they attach because you can feel them crawling on your skin or under clothes. A quick check in the mirror will find any you missed. Most of the ones that attach are found quickly because they decided to latch onto your legs soon after getting onto you rather than crawling towards your head, so they're easily spotted. Deer ticks are probably harder to feel and see due to the smaller size but I've only been exposed to them a few times. Pulling them off is no big deal, just a steady pull will do the trick....at least for deer, wood, and lone star ticks. Have no experience with others.

Alan

There is definitely no shortage of ticks here in Arkansas. If you end up with a bed of seed ticks on you, one of the easiest ways to remove them is using good ole duct tape.

Back