Wood stove

Reaction score
I’m getting my outfit ready for an ice out trip to northern Maine later this month, coming up on 100 nights in this tent.

D8A80121-784E-47FC-81DD-4E140D02F625.jpeg

This little wood stove started as a 12/12/24”, with a 5” pipe. It’s now 12/8/16” with a 4” pipe. I don’t winter camp, just shoulder seasons so I sleep with a cold stove. It’s great for early mornings, rainy days and cooking meals.

0A68A431-8367-410D-94B9-2DEC3A270AB2.jpeg

B7730EAB-7E01-4485-AAF3-4FBF7E9A652D.jpeg

6C01F0DD-1229-46A8-BBC6-D3B4EFC09FC0.jpeg

All the pipe fits inside for transport, and the stove, wall tent, angle kit and tarp fit in a woods pack. The tent was wet when I put it away in this picture so it’s much more bulky than normal.

CDC1E5A4-2BEA-4D13-9838-F8D8307CCADA.jpeg

It all packs into my Chestnut Cruiser (thank you Sweeper)

433C0D95-FA38-4E84-AD91-B31E4E4C55A4.png

Reaction score
Before Memorial Day and after Labor day was my rule of thumb for taking the wood stove. Being warm and comfortable is easily achievable with the hot tent, no matter what mother nature throws at you.

Reaction score
Enjoy your upcoming trip. Maybe one day you can share how you made that stove smaller. I have 2 stoves and would like to make that kni co Trekker smaller.

Reaction score
Enjoy your upcoming trip. Maybe one day you can share how you made that stove smaller. I have 2 stoves and would like to make that kni co Trekker smaller.
Just buy a small 12” stove from Snowtrekker. I believe you can also buy it directly from Kni-co thought they don’t list it on their site. I use mine with a titanium roll up pipe to fit everything inside. Haven’t been brave enough to cut a pot hole though!

Reaction score
Robin
What made you move your stove from the front of the tent, near the door, to the back ?
Also, when you cut down your stove did you apply any gasket cement to the seams ? Did you bolt the seams together or pop rivet ?

Reaction score
Let's plan a trip here in Maine, leave the stove, I cut it down and ship it back to you.
Robin
What made you move your stove from the front of the tent, near the door, to the back ?
Also, when you cut down your stove did you apply any gasket cement to the seams ? Did you bolt the seams together or pop rivet ?

Ed,
I had a screen made for the front of the tent, so I made the back window dual purpose, in hot weather, a screen window is velcroed into the hole, in cold weather when I need the stove a stove jack is velcroed in.
My son expressed interest (before covid) in joining me on a deer hunt, so with the stove centered in the back tent wall, I can fit two cots in the tent. When hanging out, the cots can be broken down for more room. I sleep with a cold stove so no worry about the cots being close to the stove.
Finally, I was finding it hard to enter the tent without making the stove pipe lose or move when it's upfront. I'm a big fan of having the stovepipe out the wall vs. out the roof so the back wall exit works well for me.

No gasket cement, I just used SS pop rivets to put the stove back together when I cut it down. It throws plenty of heat, just needs more attention due to the size of the wood that fits in it.

Reaction score
My stove pipe holes are in the roof and it is preventing me from throwing a tarp over the tent to make it more weather tight, something I didn't worry about until they started leaking.

Reaction score
Cool, I actually spoke to Jim yesterday and mentioned about me trying to get out there mid to late August like I planned last year.