• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Wolf Moon...Wolf Fish

Reaction score
Back in January, we had a Wolf Moon (first full moon of the year?). That day happened to be quite warm for January where I live so I headed to a local pond where I know there are some pretty nice Chain Pickerel swimming around. After a few casts, I was fortunate enough to land a 3lber...always a good fighting fish! Snapped a few pictures (not a finger thankfully) and sent him on his way.

Attachments

• photo6201.jpg
    photo6201.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6202.jpg
    photo6202.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Snapper...that was closer to home. The pickerel fishin actually pretty good around here.
Never tried it Al...heard there a lotta bones, no? If it tasty though, I'll have to try it someday.
Interesting note Red.

I know that northern pike are really tasty... Lots of bones indeed, but there via a few ways to dress them so you get rid of them, especially on bigger fish!!
Better to eat them in the colder months when the water temps are cooler!

Here is a story with the chain pickerel in it from one of my favorite authors John McPhee of the New Yorker magazine.

Thanks for posting BB! Never read that before...going to read asap. John McPhee wrote a lot of great stuff, especially his 3 or 4 books about traveling across the U.S. with various geologists.
Thx!

Great article!
In the first paragraph McPhee mentions different types of prey....frogs, crayfish, turtles, etc... In a magazine I got in the mail yesterday, I saw an advertisement for a lure that resembled a small duckling....never seen anything like it but I figured right away it must be for that angler targeting a member of the Esocidae family. And in fact later in the article McPhee does mention birds found in their stomachs on occasion. Guess they pretty much eat anything.
Now I itchin to fish again ;)

Great illustration of the dark chain pattern... they're rare in Ontario and maybe I'll live long enough to catch one. Interesting that McPhee writes about eating them when they're small so that the y-bones are thin enough to be eaten as well.

A northern pike will grow to be about 8-12 inches during it's first year, but most NP caught by angling will be larger than that with the y-bones thicker and not edible. Maybe fly fishing is the way to catch the small ones?

I once knew a guy that jumped through all the hoops to commercial fish for Northern Pike in the Yukon Flats. His venture was a failure, to far from a poor and unreliable market, but he had some interesting stories about the fish themselves. He told me that the most common thing in the fishes stomachs were adult robins! Robins building their nests with mud would get it from stream and slough shores and would be ambushed by the pike.
The inter-web is full of how to fillet pike leaving the dreaded Y-bones out of the fillets. I have a old Scandinavian friend in Minnesota that loves pike. He tells me, "that the big ones are the best, the only reason folks like the little ones is because they never catch a big one." He also pickles the smaller pike, the pickling solution dissolves the bones. Very good, much better than pickled herring that you buy in stores. His jars of pickled fish have eye appeal as he packs them in layers of onion, pike, onion, then a layer of carrots. The carrots adds a lot of color to a otherwise white and unappetizing looking jar of fish.

No Title

Caught another nice Pickerel recently (Worm Moon this time?) but no pic to show for it as he hopped off the hook just as I had him outta the water :( Sure was nice fishing in the snow though...cold...but nice!

Attachments

• photo6400.jpg
    photo6400.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6403.jpg
    photo6403.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6404.jpg
    photo6404.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
No Title

pickerel are probably more common in Fl waters than a lot people think too. Not to the extent you could realistically target them, but they are caught through out the state. They've got some serious teeth for a fresh water fish, bony for sure, but quite good to eat.

Attachments

• photo6586.jpg
    photo6586.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6587.jpg
    photo6587.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 0
Back