• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Wintertrekking.com

Reaction score
Just read that wintertrekking.com site is for sale... The site have change a lot in the last few years, and didn't hear from Hoop much in the last year or so.
Still enjoyed it a lot! Hope some one takes over!!

Me too, Coldfeet had just sent me a text flyer on that.

Not sure what's involved in running it; upkeep, site administration, getting minimal paid ads, etc but like this site, it's a wonderful and trusted resource of like minded individuals (and the greater community) that is not seen on many of the other camping and outdoor forums.

I have emailed and conversed several times the last few years with both Harlan and Hoop so I know that they don't take the move lightly. But you still have to wonder at the reasons...

Good luck to them in setting and getting a decent price and hopes for us fellow forum members that it continues much as before.

My guess is that one of the large forum companies like VerticalScope or Internet Brands made them an offer. Good for them.

Unfortunately my accountant brain went to deduce a market price. Wintertrekking has 1,715 current members of which only 270 have posted more than 20 posts.

Internet Brands (owned by a venture cap firm KKR) has some 2009 data on Wikipedia: 99.8M gross income, 70% from advertising on 62 Million unique visitors/month. Making gross revenue of $93 CPM. That sounds abnormally high.

If the 270 regular members visit 10 pages every day for half a year (and spend the rest on sites like this), that's 486,000 views. Using the gross revenue target above gives an annual gross revenue of 45K. Internet Brands net income is 12.4% of gross revenue making the estimate of $5,500 for a bottom line. With a cost of capital of 20% you would look at a purchase price of $20,000.

Market price is probably in the $10,000 range.

Well, that was a fun 20 min exercise - back to work.

I see HOOP is taking it over, good for him and the winter camping community. I think Harlan still owns the Solotripping.com "name", I wonder if that was included with the deal. I liked that Solotripping site alot but the name really invites some "far out dudes", haha.

Why is it that a quart size bag of food turns into a gallon size bag of garbage after you eat the food?

Back