• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Winter Reading List

Reaction score
I’m recuperating from shoulder surgery this winter. Therapist says I MIGHT be ready to snowshoe in February, possibly not. Right now, I can’t do much but read and watch the boob tube. I desperately need some suggestions for reading material. I’m now re-reading books from 25 years ago. Read any good adventuresome novels lately? I’m not big on non-fiction unless it’s historical. Reading Killers of the Flower Moon right now. I’ve read a lot of crap since getting a kindle. The Unlimited thing isn’t for me. 2nd rate writing and ho hum storylines with most of the titles.

Anything by James Lee Burke. He has novels and crime fiction. All are superb.

Edit: Re-read and saw you're looking for adventure. These aren't it, but the writing style is wonderful, especially if you have southern or western roots (yeah, I know, Illinois is neither). Alan's recommendations are spot on.

If you're looking for Arctic/Antarctic exploration, "Mawson's Will" by Leonard Bickel is as good as it gets. Then there's "The Worst Journey in the World" by Cherry-Garrard, "The Arctic Grail" by Pierre Berton, of course "Endurance" by Alfred Lansing.

Others: "Two Years Before the Mast" by Richard Henry Dana, "The Twenty-ninth Day" by Alex Messenger, "Dangerous River" by R.M. Patterson.

And I'm assuming you've perused the thread "What Are You Reading" for pages and pages of ideas.

Last edited:
Great Heart - Davidson and Rugge
Sleeping Island - Downes
Snow Man - Waldron
Letters from the Barren Lands - Bullock
Tundra - Mowat
Death on the Barrens - Grinnel
Barren Grounds - Pessl

If you enjoy history, anything by Nathaniel Philbrick would be something you might like. I've got at least 6 of his books and they're all well researched and quite readable. Philbrick ranges from the Mayflower to Nantucket whaling to the American Revolution and on to Little Big Horn. In my estimation, he's one of the best historical authors alive right now.

If historic fiction is more to your liking, check out Jeff Sharra, Ken Follett or Bernard Cornwell. Shara started off with Civil War oriented books and has moved on to the 20th century. I'm currently reading one of Follett's "Kingsbridge" series, set in the late 1500s as Elizabeth I comes to the throne, pitting her against the Catholics of Europe. As for Cornwell, I have his "Saxon Series" stacked up and ready to go. Both he & Follett write in an enjoyable style and their research is top notch.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your winter of reading and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - Please share what you end up reading so we know what else is out there. Thanks!

Back