• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Wildfires in Canada!

I hope there’s enough rain to dampen the wildfires in your area, Ralph, as well as across Canada. Stay safe.

We had over 2" of rain yesterday and about the same amount is forecast for today. This slow, steady rain will really help with the wildfires and it will bring up our rivers which have been significantly below average flows this spring. I guess that this rain will end our evacuation alert and leave only hotspots to address. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

This is becoming hard to believe. We are under a rainfall warning and the Town has declared a State of Emergency due to local flooding. I hardly believe that this is happening so I don't blame you if you are doubting.

and
and

Oh its the era of weather extremes and the bare ground as a result of wildfires cannot absorb that wetness. You don't need my opinion as what is is. Go high and away. Mudslides are deadly. This is tough when you are in flatlands trying to figure where to go. The water could go anywhere. Report back when it is safe.

yellowcanoe thanks for your concern. We are on high ground. The closest small creek is a few hundred meters away and, although that creek is flooding, we are safe. There is flooding of low lying areas and people who live along waterways are evacuating. We'll see what happens next.
Our local river:
WaterlevelOrientatedGraph

A local creek:
WaterlevelOrientatedGraph

"REO is just one place lost in the widespread fires overwhelming the province of British Columbia this summer, with over 2,000 fires occurring so far in 2023, burning nearly five-million acres."

I just got back, well actually in the process of driving back, from northern Saskatchewan. My flight into Cree Lake was delayed a day due to heavy smoke from raging fires in the Northwest Territories. There was also a fire near southern Cree Lake. Some of the days on a three week trip were smoky.

I just got back, well actually in the process of driving back, from northern Saskatchewan. My flight into Cree Lake was delayed a day due to heavy smoke from raging fires in the Northwest Territories. There was also a fire near southern Cree Lake. Some of the days on a three week trip were smoky.
Safe travels Erica… I too, am hoping for a report of your trip. Beautiful area

Back