• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Who makes truly custom paddles?

Reaction score
Is there anyone that makes truly custom paddles? I'm not just talking about special engravings, or fancy woods, or that certain finish. I'm talking about someone that will make a custom blade size and shape, or do something unusual with the shaft or grip.
Yes, I could try and make it myself, but that's really more than I want to take on and, I'm sure, someone that does it for a living will do a far better job.

Caleb Davis, Tremolo Paddles

3 White Pine Way

Long Lake NY 12847

Caleb has made several paddles for me, and he teaches a paddle making class where you will make your own for less $ than you can buy a ready made one.
click on: https://longlakeartisans.com/Davis.html

shapeimage_3.png

traditional-paddle-making-caleb-davis.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if mine qualifies, but a bunch of Midwest symposiums ago, Mark measured me for a made for me paddle......it's a work of art as well as just my size...

Our own member Murat, but I don't know that he sells his custom and historic masterpieces.

Bruce Smith has been making custom paddles entirely with hand tools for more than 50 years.

Marc Ornstein is also a member here.

OK, thank you. That's a pretty good start.
Like I've said, in other posts, I have several new paddles (two Fishell are supposed to arrive today) and plan on ordering, at least, one more paddle.
I hope to do some systematic testing next spring.
Hopefully, a few of these will satisfy my needs for any trips I plan to do.
But I have an idea(s) in my head for a paddle(s) and once I get that itch, I usually need to scratch it.
I did order a couple books on paddle making, just in case.
My current thinking, which might evolve after testing the new paddles, is a perfectly elliptical blade around 22 inches long by 7 to 8 inches wide. and, possibly, a slight bend of, say, 6 degrees. I plan on only taking two paddles on trips with my solo and one of them will be a kayak paddle. Looking for that one canoe paddle to take along on a majority of my trips.

8 inches wide is pretty wide for touring. I use that width for FreeStyle but not touring as the width makes the edge angle act as a long lever arm. If your stroke is not quite vertical and the angle of approach a little off you will be making thousands of little corrections and that is tiring on a long trip . History does have some lessons and the shapes of historical paddles were a combination of what could be found ( small diameter wood), the lack of lamination technology but also the efficiency of the long narrow paddle shape in the Northwoods or Canadian stroke.
Do keep us updated on the progress of the soothing of the itch. You can never have too many paddles and paddle shapes. There. I said it.

Is Caleb still active? I have two of his paddles and love them.

Bruce Smith makes custom paddled

Fishell paddles will customize as well.

Dimensions are fluid at this point. I found a few websites that will generate an ellipse to the dimensions I want. Hopefully they will also calculate the area.
No one likes to be wrong, but I always accept that possibility as should everyone.
My goal is to make that one paddle I can take on a long river trip and it will do just about everything, from relaxed cruising on calm stretches, to cranking out a 40 mile day, to mild whitewater.
I accept that my idea(s) may not bear fruit.
Fishell will customize, but my understanding is that it's purely cosmetic. I'll have to email them and clarify that.
My Fishell paddles didn't show up yesterday. Hoping they come today.
Screenshot 2021-12-06 04.25.43.png
Generated this 7.5 X 22 a few days ago.

Last edited:
Have you seen this?

I'm in the middle of a 10 paddle batch.
You can have one of the partially finished shafts if you want to pick one up or arrange shipping somehow.
I'm just at the stage where blades need to be attached, any shape, doesn't matter. Once the blades are on, you can sand and glass and you'll have a truly custom paddle.

Posted a reply to stripperguy, but I'm not seeing it, so I'll repeat.
You are pretty ambitious. Your shafts look great.
But I haven't really decided on bent or straight yet and if I go bent it will likely be only slightly bent.
I just got my Fishell paddles yesterday and I have four others I haven't tried yet.
Better not get ahead of myself. I need to try what I have before I commit to making my own or ordering a custom.

Back