• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Which portage cart?

Rapids didn't tip us. A submerged log did. Rapids is just the landmark
Lesson failed to be learned: if it can sink it will

The last time we planned for Low's the dirt road was gated/closed (quite early I thought in the fall) just at the end of the asphalt at Horsehoe Lake...while the side that went out to the old train station, cabins and the access road was open...

Guess who hadn't remembered the cart?

I just did a little gear test at home. I have a Paddleboy cart, much like the wheeleez, weighing in a 5 lb. and a Canadian boat walker weighing in at 12 lb. ( I have an older model with less steel at the middle.) The Paddleboy oilcanned my hull because it was too small, so I added some crossbars, but it still was too small. It's also 3 or 4 inches lower than the CBW and I found myself hunching over to keep the other end of the boat from dragging. I went back and swapped out for the CBW and noticed an immediate improvement in the ease of rolling. No contest, I'm taking the heavier one and the other one will be on the free table at the next Paddlers Gathering in Fairlee VT.

I like the mobility of those Campmor carts but my canoe oil cans and on the 2 mile cart from Lock Dam back to the put in at Indian Stream, one tire wore a small hole into the smoilex layer of the Royalex despite our best effort to prevent that from happening.

Back