• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Where do you go tripping?

Western Quebec and eastern Ontario.

When I head to Quebec I hit my second traffic light at the US-Canada border and the 3rd in Ottawa 7 hours from home. If I hit the road at 3am I'm at my put in by 4-5 pm (permits and Poutine stops)
That's about 600-650 miles to the put in and gives me 6-7 days at the least of canoe tripping in LaVerendrye. Pretty much the same with northeaster Ontario.
Many of the routes I have been on in LaVerendrye I have seldom saw anyone else after the first portage. I have read about some interesting areas around Temagami and that might be an area I'd like to check out this year.

Western Ontario is a 2 day trip which and not in the cards this year. Going solo and retired I can be on the road tomorrow so that's pretty nice, I can watch the weather and stay home till a front passes if I want.

I like the ADK's alot, but unless it's with family or friends I go off season mid week, great opportunity for solitude. Maine is nice, but the wind can really be a factor on those big lakes and I have been disappointed too many times. Northern Maine is some place I would like to revisit but those camping/road use fee's make it tough for a solo traveller.

Almost all my tripping is in the ADKs. I'll never finish exploring this huge, wonderful place. I live in WNY, so it's 5-6 hrs depending on the area. I does seem to be getting further away every year(maybe continental drift?). The worse part is the boring, sometimes crazy NYS throughway. I try to remember to stop as soon as I launch, shut my eyes, and take a deep breath-then the trip begins.
Turtle

BWCA, Turtle Flambeau Flowage in Wisconsin, and my favorite WCPP. Jake my dog and I have plans to visit the Flambeau for a few days in early June as a shake down cruise, then about a week later we are headed to the BWCA - our target is the Sundial Primitive Management Area and walleye fishing. If we get time, we will do a 7-10 day stop in WCPP before football camps start in late July.

Bob.

Last edited:
My tripping takes me north, and I'm lucky that in past years it's been only about a 3 hour drive not counting traffic. Our tripping destination for the next few years however will take us a bit further. Two more hours driving delivers us to some beautiful canoe country. An added bonus is having family nearby for pre and post canoe trip visits. I'm really looking forward to the next few years. Bucket list trips in the next few seasons include heading northeast and northwest. Hopefully they can happen too.

My tripping used to be hiking in the Whites of NH, but with the every increasing number of hikers and AMC trying to be a FOR-Profit org. I turned to the woods and hills around home, discovering the small things of the forest.

YC, we have never had a problem with ME traffic and avoid Rt 1 at all cost unless it's a quick trip to see what Tulley's has for new beers.

I've finally broken my son's grip on the Allagash. We're working our way into Canada now and will avoid Toronto in the morning.

My tripping used to be hiking in the Whites of NH, but with the every increasing number of hikers and AMC trying to be a FOR-Profit org. I turned to the woods and hills around home, discovering the small things of the forest.

YC, we have never had a problem with ME traffic and avoid Rt 1 at all cost unless it's a quick trip to see what Tulley's has for new beers.

I've finally broken my son's grip on the Allagash. We're working our way into Canada now and will avoid Toronto in the morning.

You are welcome to stay here for exploring the Whites. We are about 35 minutes from Evans Notch.. it is never crowded as its not 'in' with the Boston crowd
Tullys seems like what we have here.. UFO. Huge selection of beer and wines. Or the Good Beer Store in Fryeburg
http://www.umbrellafactorysupermarket.com/ufo.html

We used to be on an AMC Committee till they came out with new rules and regs for our facility that necessitated charging more. Soon as an AMC member I couldn't afford to stay in the place I helped volunteer manage. So I said ta ta and they kept mailing me stuff about how I was missing good times in the Whites. I laughed told them they were wasting their time as I lived there and didn't need to be guided to find hiking opportunities and they were too frigging expensive.

I've only read about Evans Notch and the Wild River Valley but it does seem like a great place to hike. The "Old Hemlock" is on my bucket list.

The trips to Tulley's great fewer and fewer because there are so many great beer stores now.

I climbed Mt Washington with my mother for her 80th birthday with a stayed at LOTC hut for about $80/person. Ten years later we planned to go hike up to Mizpah hut but they wanted $149/person. Never again.

Going to BWCA for 7 days in May, Only 7 to 8 hours away depending where you launch from. Other other go to Options with drive time are... Big Island Lake Wilderness(1 hr). Sylvania Wilderness (2 hr). Two Hearted(2 hrs), Fox(1.5hrs), Indian(1 hr), and Manistique(1.5) Rivers are all under 2 hours away. Craig Lake State Park(1 hr). Hopefully next year I'll be able to hit up Algonquin (8 hrs), Killarney(5.5 hrs), and Lake Superior(4 hours) P.P.'s after I get a passport or special license.

Off to the Buffalo in four weeks! Will stay at Ozark Campground in Arkansas. If no water in the Buff will be on the North Fork of the White in Missouri.There are a bunch of us on another forum who enjoy periodic Rendezvous (ii) . Good company and usually good BBQ.
I learned in Missouri, do not bring a quinoa salad.

Been called a BWCA fanatic many times, done at least 1 overnight trip every year since 1966. Already have one in this year and one planned for May. Finding permits easier to get every year and seeing less people. I do prefer to go in May or Sept/Oct so that helps but I have done overnights every month of the year. Do have a trip on the Missouri in montàna planned for June.

Back