• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Where do you go tripping?

Reaction score
The comments about traffic imbedded in the aluminum guwale thread got me thinking how traffic affects where we choose to trip.

Comments about Mass and Maine had me laughing. You all realize that when you all come at the same time you create traffic? We have no traffic here off season. When you all come we either stay home and trip locally or flee to Canada. My town goes from three to eighteen thousand in July.. People say they have seen Maine. Usually they have been to BarHarbor. Pop.. umpty thousand in the summer. In the winter 1,100.

I find it very easy to trip here. Most all destinations are reachable by the Maine Turnpike and I 95 north of Auburn/Lewiston( LA here). Little traffic at all . Yet people crawl up the old Indian trail called Rt 1 in the summer because they want to eat lobster or something like that. And they sit in Wiscasset ( due to recent decisions you will continue to sit there)

Its true that all roads are windy. All of them are historic trails.. Nothing new much has been engineered. Mass is much like QC in that there is a village every two miles. Mass has been settled by Euros a long time you know. The difference from QC is that all towns have different names and not named after saints.

That said there are cities that impact my tripping. I will never trip in the Boundary Waters because I find traffic from Ohio to Chicago to be intolerable. (plus getting to Quetico is faster with only Montreal being a pain ( and thanks to Autoroute 30 this headache has been relieved) and Ottawa at rush hour. North Bay is incredibly annoying with a population of only 75,000 but its just a series of traffic lights that have sixteen direction multifunctions which means lunch can be eaten at the red light.

Maryland..uh.. no.. As much as Assateague beckons that Rt 13 is annoying. I can get around NYC pretty well with a I 84-to 81 run to Florida but destinations in NJ involve immersion on the Tappan Zee.... currently under construction!

The Adirondacks are just 220 miles from my house. Due to only 37 miles of interstate and a ferry, the journey to Saranac Lake is eight hours. And you want traffic...go to the High Peaks in July.. It makes me grateful for home! We are about the same latitude as Elizabethtown so that is the town we hit first. Not bad up to Placid..then uggh

Newfoundland has proven twice to be easy to get to if you reserve the ferry early.. Next time we will try the Trans Labrador Highway with no ferry.

The reason we moved to Maine is that ugh Connecticut traffic. It is paralyzing. I don't know how people live in the southern edge of that along the shore or in the i-84 corridor.

Last edited:
Sorry, no trafic to speek of up here... We are five minute walk from the Yukon river, and when we drive there is rarely more than a dozen car/truck on the road...

Adirondacks....spent a lifetime not paddling everything. I live halfway between Schenectady and Albany, once I get across the Mohawk River, traffic is nothing.
BTW, it's 45 minutes to the Blue Line for me.

I often drive down US 13 to visit my BIL in Va Beach...I always say to MDB we should stop and enjoy parts of DELMARVA, apparently we're in too much of a hurry to reach our destination.

Last edited:
Ya, I don't want to brag, but I can throw the canoe in the lake a couple of hundred feet behind my house and paddle to almost anywhere. I can go south to Lake Superior, north to James Bay or west to Lake Nipigon. Of course, some people might consider this to be nowhere as opposed to anywhere, but it's all a matter of perspective. A drive of a half hour on empty roads will get me into places seldom seen by humans.

Ya, I don't want to brag, but I can throw the canoe in the lake a couple of hundred feet behind my house and paddle to almost anywhere. I can go south to Lake Superior, north to James Bay or west to Lake Nipigon. Of course, some people might consider this to be nowhere as opposed to anywhere, but it's all a matter of perspective. A drive of a half hour on empty roads will get me into places seldom seen by humans.

Inspiration.

Think I will stay home I can dump the boat in my lake and with a few portages go out to the Atlantic. No need to go anywhere this summer

Think I will do a sort of a staycation on the Maine Island Trail and maybe make it far Downeast.. Camping on some 150 islands over 350 miles. Free. I am done trying to figure out Ontario Crown Land Permits.

But its not open canoe country.Decks are wise.

The comments about traffic imbedded in the aluminum guwale thread got me thinking how traffic affects where we choose to trip.

Maryland..uh.. no.. As much as Assateague beckons that Rt 13 is annoying.

My preferred tripping destinations fall largely into two categories; places I can get to in a day’s drive or less, and multi-day journeys to my destination.

I live in the middle of the east coast megalopolis. That sucks for population density and traffic, but with a dawn get away I can be paddling in the Adirondacks north or the Carolinas south the same afternoon. Add a night’s layover along the way and that becomes Maine north or Florida south.

I agree Maryland, uh, not so much. There are some decent paddling destinations closer than the Daks or Carolinas; the Potomac branches, the Pine Barrens, WB Susquehanna, but a sizable portion of the east coast population is too close for comfort.

That population proximity applies to Assateague too of course, but it remains one of my favorite places on earth. With a 5am wake up I can stop for breakfast along the way and still be at the Ranger Station a few minutes before it opens. The backcountry along Chincoteague Bay can be popular in spring and fall, but I’ve had weeklong winter trips there where I saw few other visitors, sometimes none at all.

Traffic absolutely affects how I get to where I trip. I detest the I-95 corridor anywhere between Boston and Richmond. If I’m headed south I by-pass Washington DC and northern VA using Rte 301. If I’m headed north use I-81 or other routes west of the chaos.

On a cross country road trip I can project when I’ll be approaching a metro area and making timing plans to avoid an unfortunate rush hour arrival.

While I envy folks who live in less heavily populated areas the mid-Atlantic holds some natural history appeal, being on the southern fringe of many species of plant and animal and on the northern edge of others. Not just the north/south convergence but also the east/west availabilities, add in the proximity to the Appalachians, the Atlantic Ocean/barrier islands, the Chesapeake Bay and its couple hundred paddle-able tributary rivers and streams and it’s not all bad.

Traffic doesn't come into play here in the SW (except Lee's Ferry at times haha), but trips here usually involve a fair amount of windshield time. We feast or famine here, we're either river tripping for a couple weeks or nothing but paddling the mountain lakes. I envy those that have a selection of day runs, we had that going on in MT when we lived in Bozeman and enjoyed it.

Technically I could carry my canoe and tripping possessions down the street 1 block to a major Ontario river, from which I could reach oceans in 3 compass directions...eventually...but I'm no modern day explorer, so I load up the car and negotiate the traffic through the most densely populated part of Canada. (Well if that doesn't sound like an oxymoron eh!?) I head north through Toronto and it's "greater" 'burbs and neighbours, often around the same time cottage craving urban lemmings make their weekly exodus out of the cities May thru October. It takes a lot of patience and a little creativity to avoid traffic jams; like departing/returning midweek in the wee hours, or wandering the backroads where possible. I learned long ago to regard the car trip as a part of the trip itself, thus preserving what little sanity I have. It all works. There are still bottlenecks sometimes maybe, but that's what the car radio is for...listening to a ball game or some tunes, remaining nonplussed while those around you lose their noodle over having failed to escape the rat race for awhile. The irony sometimes makes me chuckle when I see weekend suburban warriors battling each other for asphalt supremacy, all the while wishing to escape their stressful little world. The tarmac temper tantrums are just so funny and childish, it ought to be all set to music;
If You’re Happy And You Know It Clap Your Hands!

Traffic doesn't come into play here in the SW (except Lee's Ferry at times haha), but trips here usually involve a fair amount of windshield time
I envy those that have a selection of day runs, we had that going on in MT when we lived in Bozeman and enjoyed it.

There is that. My “homeriver” is a steep riparian valley trout stream, all of two miles from my house, and within a couple hours drive there are another hundred, from the Piedmont plateau to the coastal plain.

I’ve paddled my home river hundreds of times, in all seasons, all weathers and all levels, from a gauged 0.85 feet to 12 feet. I do enjoy that is never the same river twice.. . . . but it isn’t tripping.

[ There are still bottlenecks sometimes maybe, but that's what the car radio is for...listening to a ball game or some tunes, remaining nonplussed while those around you lose their noodle over having failed to escape the rat race for awhile. The irony sometimes makes me chuckle when I see weekend suburban warriors battling each other for asphalt supremacy, all the while wishing to escape their stressful little world. The tarmac temper tantrums are just so funny and childish, it ought to be all set to music;

I’m with ya Brad. Retirement has helped my unhurried perspective, but one little change has helped more than anything else.

After 45 years of driving nothing but manual transmission vehicles I bought a truck with an automatic transmission. While it doesn’t exactly make stop and go traffic enjoyable, not having to clutch in/halfway out, first gear, creep forward, clutch in/out, neutral has made a world of difference.

Over the years of commuter heck I did develop some techniques to make mid-Atlantic traffic more enjoyable. My work commute for 40 years involved horrendous stop and go traffic. When stopped amidst a stalled group of unhappy fellow commuters I kept some props handy.

Namely a pair of novelty big nose and moustache Groucho glasses and a giant cigar.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nov...=HJTkVoqmLsLLmwHs6YmIBA#imgrc=W_Af1ccZze1P0M:

When traffic came to a stop I would put the glasses on, get out and run around my car waggling the cigar. It never failed to break the frustration tension of my fellow travelers. It probably helped that I was wearing a long lab coat, flailing around my legs as I did the bowlegged duck walk around my vehicle.

Well, the Groucho glasses and cigar had more uses than just that. I passed a Junior High school bus stop on a side road every morning and would put on the glasses and waggle the cigar at the kids as I passed. It got to be a routine, every morning they would watch for me to crest the rise and jump up and down pointing and laughing.

That went on for several years, no doubt passed down from class to class. I can’t speak for them, by it reliably made my morning commute happier.

I need to get another pair of Groucho glasses to keep in the tripping truck.

A river runs through it-- the jewel of the high plains desert is the Bow River, which runs through the heart of the city of Calgary Alberta. We did a short trip today to kick off the 2016 season.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 0
We have mostly done Eastern Manitoba, the Wallace Lake area for many years with one jaunt into WCPP and possibly more in the future. Possibly another trip to Mem's backyard this year as well, although not sure the road into Marshall will be up for it. I had put in for 9 weeks off this Summer but not likely going to get it so that only leaves 3 weeks vacation. So much to do around the house and with boats that we don't get out as much as we would like, but we can be in the wilderness with a 4 hour drive N/E. I think Mem's area would be a charm to live in.

My problem is that I like to explore different ecosystems. Until about five years ago I pretty much wrote off the US save the Adirondacks and Maine. I went north to the boreal forest.When I lived in CT the boreal forest was unique. Now that I am no longer there; its not as special; its at my doorstep. I think for me that may have taken off some of the tripping"rush". I am an explorer.

Now I have been bitten by paddling in the US with the deserts, swamps, tropics , wide open West range,and sandstone cliffs of the Ozarks being some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. Alaska too is incredible. I am waffling on Lake Powell for sure but that is because of old memories.

Tripping in the vicinity of home has its rewards and is often overlooked. Its good to be proud of your home area.
I get totally about work defining a schedule. For years it did for us too.

I ought to be excited about being able to launch a 10 day trip within three hours of home. Whats wrong with me?

In old age I find experience is to be gathered .. I don;t much care about stuff or fashion. For some strange reason I would like to paddle in the UK. I did for a day trip once. Canaling seems to be interesting. Also paddling in Venice.

I find the experience is what I am seeking also. The special places. Living the old ways. Just being. There. The difficult part is knowing how few other people share that.

I have this vision of Grumpy Old Men when they find Burgess Meredith passed away sitting on the derelict old couch at the lake. You can sign me up for that one, just not next week.

Christy

Some funny and eloquent thoughts being shared here.
I guess people are just hardwired differently. I'm also all about the experience, near or far, here or there. Best not get me started rambling about finding heavenly moments in the least exotic locales. Oh oh.
Today we made the most of an early warm spring by going for a cycle. No picnic provisions because we never intended to go very far. We lost track of time and intentions, as the miles drifted by. We got to talking about our plans (dreams) of a cycling trip to France, where we'd go (what we'd eat), what we'd do (what we'd sip), what we'd see (what we'd savour), but most of all what we'd experience. Starting in Normandy and winding our way around Brittany, and down through Loire and on to Aquitaine, Languedoc...Shaking myself from my reverie I admired in front of me the bluebird sky caressed with mare's tail clouds, a peeling tarpaper tobacco kiln leaning drunkenly amongst brambles and bushes; on the distant hilltop an elderly oak stretching out it's weathered arms to the sun kissed sky, it's shadow cast upon the earth marking the hours slipping by over seasons and centuries. Just then we came to a parking lot and road crossing where some cyclists were preparing to start rides of their own. A lady asked us "How much further does the paved trail go down there?" My wife told her it ran for a mile before changing to crushed limestone for the other 30 miles through forests, fields and villages down to the harbour town. But before I could tell her about the old high level railtrail bridge with panoramic views, the pastry shop and cafe with homemade soups, a marsh teeming full of wildlife, the quiet forest glades growing the most exquisite spring flowers, the lady screwed up her face and mumbled "Hm, so nothing down there then..." We peddled on alone for another mile or so before resting on a bench, where we resumed our cycle trip planning; but rather than France our thoughts turned to our own backyard. We realized it had been too long since we last dropped in to that pastry shop, explored those forest glades and made picnic plans closer to home.
I'm as guilty as the next person is to becoming mesmerized by the greener grass across a fence. That's not to say far flung trips aren't worth considering; I'm considering canoe trips further afield, but this summer we're staying close to home and modest in our expenses. We just have to. But I'm as excited about this summer as any other. Your own backyard can be full of surprises and rewards too, you just have to relax and really look to see them, and change perspectives to find those experiences worth repeating... and remembering.

Last edited:
I find the experience is what I am seeking also. The special places. Living the old ways. Just being. There. The difficult part is knowing how few other people share that.

I have this vision of Grumpy Old Men when they find Burgess Meredith passed away sitting on the derelict old couch at the lake. You can sign me up for that one, just not next week.

Christy

like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TrOZRHB31c

Last edited:
Sometimes I think it's mostly about being outside, for me at my age now anyway. When you spend a lot of time indoors you crave the wild places, if you are outside a lot the urgency isn't as strong.

My natural inclination is to get to my destination asap so that my vacation can start. My wife is the opposite. So I think I have mellowed a little after 35 years of marriage. So I am learning to enjoy the journey even though I'm on an interstate. When our family was young, we learned that they sure are quiet and content when listening to a good audio book. Did you know that EB White's Charlotte's Web lasts for 6 hours? And that was the fastest 6 hours I had ever experienced!

In more recent years, my teenagers bought me an I-pod and introduced me to Podcasts. I am pretty happy and content in any traffic condition as long as I have hours of Car Talk re-runs and the Vinyl Cafe podcasts to listen to.

Living in the Adirondacks gives me lots of opportunties for spontaneous day trips and overnights. Check the weatherchannel, put the canoe on the car, throw some food in the pack, and I'm off. No traveling, no permits, no trying to get to the ranger station before their office closes. I love that! But its not an adventure.

There is somethng to be said for traveling several hours to get to one's canoe tripping destination.When I choose to trip several hours from home, then I'm required to do hours of research, planning, and preparation. Even then, when we depart there are still several unknowns and a sense of being more vulnerable to the unexpected. Through out all this, there is the anticipation. Now, I am going on an adventure.

That's all cool. We've cancelled so many vacations over the years that we don't take time off for granted anymore. We're almost surprised when things go smoothly and according to plan.
I'll bore you with a story I've probably bored you with before; regarding "when the trip really starts and ends".
I was white-knuckling bumper to bumper traffic one October returning from a canoe trip. Our trip had been fantastic, but now was the awful task of getting home through holiday traffic; we hadn't been able to configure our days off to avoid the cottage commuter mess. I was fuming in the "fast lane" when I glanced over to see an elderly couple next to us in the "slow lane". I couldn't believe what I saw. They had their little station wagon loaded and packed solid with junk (probably from closing the cottage at end of season), and while we both crawled slow motion with a thousand other road hogs, they were smiling. Smiling and laughing, and maybe even singing! I shook my head, wondered and wished "I'd like to know what they're smoking and to know their secret!" And then that dim old low watt light bulb flickered on in my head, and I got it. I got it! It's all in their heads! It's plain old attitude. That was the difference. That old couple were still on vacation. I'd left mine behind when I'd tied the canoe to the roof, but these crazy old folks were still having a grand ol' time. heck, they'd probably still be "on vacation" tomorrow morning enjoying a leisurely breakfast before unpacking the car! How crazy is that?! And un-stressful. And liberating!
That was then and this is now. Now my vacation-canoe trip starts the moment we idle at the end of the driveway going through a final check - "Got the camera?" "Check." "Turn off the stove?" "Check." "Do we have the paddles?" "Check."...And doesn't end till the day after we arrive home again. Over a leisurely breakfast. And unpacking the car can wait.
To each his/her own. I'm likely wrong, and I'm probably crazy, but starting my trip early and ending it late works for me.

Back