• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

What would you do?

G

I'm planning on setting aside 4, 4 day blocks (all Thurs to Sun) for canoe trips to the ADKs this summer. These are all non-holiday weekends, on the holidays I'll be camping with family :eek::D

I haven't quite decided what to do but I prefer doing 4 shorter trips than two longer ones.

On my mind is the Lows-Oswegatchie traverse. My wife gave it the OK on this one but it requires a shuttle or another party (any takers :confused:). She won't do the loop with Cranberry, she's not that into paddling big water for two days and two long ports.

Another one is 7 and 9 carries. I doubt we'll do the traditional trip but instead base camp on St. Regis pond and day trip to the others. Requires carrying a lot less gear and I can move faster in between the ponds.

I'm betting Lila will be in there somewhere, but I get ancy staying out there for 4 days. Maybe we'll do a loop with Little Tupper and I'll lock my bike at the ranger HQ so I can ride back and get the car.

But anyway, that's about as far as I've got. We need not be moving the whole time, we could stay in one place for 3 nights...

But what would you do with 4 blocks of 4 in the ADKs? I know some people on here could come up with some pretty interesting trips... maybe more than myself or my wife would want to do, but shoot, you never know!

Last edited:
LTL to Lila and bike shuttle.

Make your own loop in the St Regis area and outlying areas.

The Lows to Lows loop is 55 miles with 27 carries.Ask Conk for details.

I have happily killed four days Lila to Lows and back. Trips need not for me be loops as the trail always looks different going back. But you are in the young mile eating stage.

There is a book that goes along with the Paddlers Map.

Also launch at Long Lake to Crusher. Hitchike back. We did this some years ago.

Mike,

Have you considered the Jessup and Cedar rivers? Both have some very enjoyable sections that can be a relaxing day trip. The short sections by themselves don't take much time, but, bunched together, could add up to a few days if staying nearby. Upper Cedar, above the Flow, can take a few days if you combine a stay at Carry lean to with a hike to Cedar Lakes. That would give you plenty of time to explore that part of the Cedar above carry lean to, the section that everyone always wonders about. If you are into it, there is a loop on the Cedar and Hudson that can take a few days, but that may involve more than your wife is willing to commit to, but...maybe.
Likewise, a few days in the Essex Chain, with a day trip from a base camp down the Chain Drain and up and down the Rock, could take a few days. Camping on the chain lakes may or may not be allowed, depends on the DEC's pace of campsite placement. Even so, the western end of First Lake is still legal, has been for 40 years that I know of...
If you do camp near the Essex Chain, there is an easy hike to OK Slip Falls too, it's spectacular.
When we had a block of time, we would combine car camping at a state site with paddling day trips into wilderness areas and hikes to nearby stuff. But, some of that was a compromise when the kids were little, maybe you prefer all wilderness.And as YC mentioned upthread, the waters north of Stillwater are plentiful. I particularly liked Witchhopple Lake and the outlet to Salmon Lake.
And you probably should go back to Lila, and paddle Harrington Brook, you'll like it. Whether you continue on to Lows is up to you, the shuttle is a pain for that one. Even staying at Horseshoe Lake could give you the chance to mess around on the lower Bog river, with an easier shuttle. Or spend a day at Horseshoe and then a few days on Lows...

I think we are leaning towards primitive camping as I'll call it. Need not be in a designated wilderness area. We have two trips this summer that involve car camping on the holiday weekends.

I like the Cedar idea. I think I'll seriously look into that one. My wife would probably like that too because we could base camp on the flow and paddle and hike to a bunch of different areas without really needing to get to the car.

I think I'm going to forgo Lila to Lows loop just because of the shuttle - but just going over to Lows for a night might be cool - doing the port twice would suck, but we can travel pretty light if need be.

I could definitely ride my bike from LTL to Lila though, although I'm not sure my wife would like all those ports in between - I'm not sure what kind of condition they are in.

Those are good suggestions. Thanks!

Thanks for asking this question. My wife and I are looking to put together the same sort of trip this summer. I had my own ideas but love reading what others are proposing to you.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

PS - I'm not at a map so quick question...does anyone know off hand the distance between the parking area for Lake Lila and LTL? I'd thought about a bike shuttle myself but wonder how long it really is.

Looks like about 9 miles snapper. Longer than I thought actually. Doesn't feel that far in the car even going slow. The thing is it is pretty flat, so to average 9 mph wouldn't be hard. I'm guessing it's about an hour ride.

Of course if it is raining and muddy that might turn into two hours... and not a pleasant two hours...

I responded to this...I thought!!
My then 14 year old son and I did that loop. The bike ride is 7 miles total, mostly on dirt roads. I would advise a fat tired bike.
I'm a cyclist, son is/was not, he did just fine. Took about 30 minutes, even at his pace...

All I have is a hybrid. I've ridden it on roads like this, doesn't do bad at all.

I used to have a more dirt orientated hybrid but it got stolen, and I gave away my old racing mtn bike when I bought that...

If it turns to mud I think I'd want a knobby tire though. I don't know, I may have to swap tires if I do.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the info. I've only been to Lila twice and it was so long ago I didn't have any idea of the distance. I did remember the road being fairly flat and I do ride a bit so it should certainly be doable even at my advanced age (61). Thanks for the heads up too about using a mountain bike. I have both a road bike and mountain bike so I'll plan accordingly.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

my bike

my bike

When I did a bike shuttle from Lila to Little tupper I usea a Mtn bike I bought for $10 at a yard sale. I was glad I had fat tires-the Road was rough. I leaned it against the sign-in post and it was still ther 3 days later.
Nice trip-does she like mud?,Turtle

Thanks guys for the info. I've only been to Lila twice and it was so long ago I didn't have any idea of the distance. I did remember the road being fairly flat and I do ride a bit so it should certainly be doable even at my advanced age (61). Thanks for the heads up too about using a mountain bike. I have both a road bike and mountain bike so I'll plan accordingly.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

My wife is pretty rugged so I don't think the mud will be her undoing. It's the bugs that can really get to her. Our one trip up to Algonquin she wore a full bug suit but the heat we experienced made it almost unbearable to be in the thing. Unfortunately, the bugs were really out as well so she was stuck in her own Catch-22. I've always been fortunate because during the height of black fly season I can still be wearing shorts & a t-shirt.

OK...back to the original question. Sorry for the side track.

Until next time...Be well.

snapper

Back