• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

What would you carry in your Wooden boat repair kit?

Duct tape, Duck tape, Gorillla tape, Nashua 357

Duct tape, Duck tape, Gorillla tape, Nashua 357

The Duck brand grey tapes I’ve used were pretty crappy. Really cheap duct tape can have all the tenacity of a post it note.

Before the availability of Gorilla tape I used Nashua 357 for critical needs.

http://tapes.berryplastics.com/SearchProductsDetails.aspx?ID=93

The 200f maximum temperature for the Nashua 357 is a wonderful thing if you leave tape-repaired gear in a hot car or under the desert sun. Other tapes, even Gorilla tape, do not do as well in high heat.

It is also $25 a roll. I carry 10’ of it wrapped around a tongue depressor in the repair kit. And I keep it hidden in the shop, so my wife doesn’t use a whole roll to wrap up boxes going to the dump. Again.

I’ve done bankside repairs on a couple of boats* with 357 and just dried the hull and waited a bit. Needing to patch a still wet boat hasn’t – knock wood – happened.

*I repaired a crack on the bottom of a friend’s glass kayak with lapped patches of 357 inside and out, and he was still paddling it that way a couple of years later.

Well my stars! I was just making a corny joke about "duck tape" but after reading Mike's post above, I looked up Duck Tape and it turns out there is such a thing. One more reason to keep my fingers off the keyboard!

Rob

Back