• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

What is the most useful tool for strip building?

Reaction score
So, I'm very new to canoe building. I enjoy collecting tools, some might say I have a problem! I plan on building a solo canoe starting next fall, but in the meantime I would like to expand my collection of canoe tools!
What are your favorites, ones you can't do without, most frequently used. I'm mostly talking hand tools, but any opinions are appreciated.

Most of the building is done with very simple tools. The things that make it much more enjoyable for me are power tools. Most notably a really good random orbital sander (with lots of different sand papers) and a 9" disc sander (for shaping forms); both of which are connected to dust collection.

Alan

Last edited:
Dust collection is my friend! Whether it's a shop vac or full on dust collector, can't live without it.

Funny ! I was just going to start a similar thread !

I couldn't build without the Japanese pull saw, and the saw rasp.

Staple puller,
Rat tail file.
A file that has four rasping edges, two flat and two rounded.
Carbide hand scraper,
Razor blades.
Various planes.
Needle pointed glue bottle. Oh I just picked up the GluBot, you recommended from Menard's ! Anxious to try it out !
Pool noodle for sanding.
Power tools

15 amp. Skilsaw with a fence
Router table
A variable 5" Random orbit sander is very handy ! I can remember using a 1/4 sheet flat pad sander on my first canoe.
To sand contours with it, I put a piece of carpet pad between the sander base and the paper. What a joke, but it worked.

Some random order pics.
IMG_0288_zpstk1jfysm.jpg

IMG_1232_zps7duambnv.jpg

IMG_0434_zpsvub9v3jd.jpg

IMG_0061_zpsjgpe336u.jpg
IMG_0672_zpsq8ipwwng.jpg
IMG_0585_zpsju2ghf26.jpg
IMG_0594_zpsnqxecjna.jpg

Here's some more pics.
IMG_0875_zpsnoed70ce.jpg
IMG_0860_zpsiymgmb21.jpg
IMG_1403_zpswtvk9kr0.jpg
IMG_1569_zpsalhnhqa2.jpg
DSCN0542_zps93aa37d5.jpg
DSCN0540_zps1970f364.jpg

I'd better stop there !
The saw rasp above is my favorite hand tool, hands down !

Jim

Jim,
I have the same RO sander that is in one of your pictures.

I'm thinking mine is on its way out. Acts kinda strange when I turn it on.
Have you had any problems with yours? I recall a post somewhere, not sure who it was, about having issues with a rigid sander.

On another note, has anyone out there used a 6" RO sander on canoe projects. I have a really nice fein that doesn't get used very often. I guess I could see it being an issue on the inside sanding...

I recall a post somewhere, not sure who it was, about having issues with a rigid sander.

That was probably me. It lasted for less than two canoes. First it started to turn into more of a grinder than a ROS and then the switch went bad. Replaced it with a Mirka and love it. The controller went bad but was covered under a recall so no cost for that. Have probably built about 10 canoes and many other projects with it. It might be one of the most used tools in my shop.

Sanding the inside was why I went with a 5" instead of a 6".

Alan

I have only owned 2 rigid tools one was a compressor and the sander. The compressor had a short life as well. I have not used my sander very much compared to the one it replaced.
I think they should have stuck with making pipe wrenches and plumbing tools.

ROSs. I really like a Variable speed model, and run as slow as I can, most of the time.
My first was a Porter Cable, actually three of them. The Interface pads wore out early. The rubber band dampener left town on another. Bought the Ridgid, no trouble so far, and also have a Bosch variable, that's fine also.
Sometimes power tools are a Crap Shoot ! Some last, some don't.

Anything that I can attach to a shop vac is good.

Jim

Clamps, clamps and more clamps. Like in Mr. Dodd's photo's. We though tend to use C clamps more than spring clamps. Looks like Mr. Dodd has an ample supply of Lee Valley spring clamps.

Not everyone needs a stapler or staple puller though. We will be getting an electric stapler for canvasing in the future but do try to build staple less. Lee Valley sells a nice set of scrapers and the burnisher to sharpen them with. They are great for interior roughing before sanding.

My cheapo Ryobi RO sander is still running, just wore out the velcro pad. The Dewalt that replaced is good, more expensive and it runs slower and the switch is funky too, turns itself on at the worst times.

Karin

You really should have 2 lists, one for the tools you like using and one for the tools you have to have in the shop.
Like and Use
- set of rasp files ( http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=20144&cat=1,42524 )
- ROS with soft pad attachment (soft pad attachment extends how far the ROS can go on the inside sanding)
- I have the same Shinto Saw Rasp as Jim, that is useful
- Flush cut saw ( http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=69373&cat=1,42884 )
- Small rip saw ( http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=50663&cat=1,42884 )
- Carbide scraper ( http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=20094&cat=1,43456,43390 ) ( I actually have the other Lee Valley ones as well)
- Power saw ( table or radial arm)
If you are going to make your strips add
- decent skillsaw
- router table and decent router
- carbide canoe bits

Useful for Canoe building
- lots of 3-4" clamps, look for them on sale ( I have over 50 4" C clamps and use them all at times)
- spring clamps (small through large)
- strip racks (keeps then organized and out of the way, also means they don't get damaged)
- couple of collapsible (or not) 8' work surfaces (used to work on longer pieces of wood , like gunnels, glue ups etc.) mine double as infeed and outfeed tables
- long level is useful for setting up strong back and spanning canoe side to side
- I build staple less, so cam buckles and shockcord

The reality is that Alan hit the nail on the head, most of the build is with very simple tools ... preparing for the build takes more tools than actually putting the canoe together. The power tools are used mostly for the prep to build, i.e. the strong back build, making the molds and strips, if you make your own.

If you have the basic tools now, probably the best thing you could do to prepare is to watch for a good sale on clamps, buying the amount you are likely to need is one of the pricier items, I got mine on sale for 60% off ....grabbed a dozen off the shelf and had to talk with the store manager when I asked to order 4 dozen more.

Also, I suspect most of us have been adding more tools with each build, as we figure out better ways of getting stuff done ... other than the basics, you may want to plan to add items as you figure out how you are going to complete each step. There are lots of ways of getting the job done, but usually there is one that just makes sense to you and you may need to get a few items to follow that path.

Brian

The Dewalt that replaced is good, more expensive and it runs slower and the switch is funky too, turns itself on at the worst times.

That stupid fault that Dewalt refuses to fix might just keep me from ever buying another one of their tools again. I bought a quarter sheet sander from them 15 years ago and the switch drove me nuts. Kind of had to fiddle with it to go either on or off and like you said it would sometimes take off by itself if you weren't careful. Fast forward 10 years and I once again found myself with a house and shop to work in. I decided to buy another 1/4 sheet sander and since Dewalt is what the local hardware store carries that's what I went with. Figured for sure they would have fixed that problem by now....they hadn't. Fast forward another 5 years and my dad is in the market for a ROS. I do a quick review search for Dewalt sanders and start finding current reviews still complaining about the same stupid switch and people walking into their shop and finding runaway sanders that had started of their own free will in an empty shop. How can they keep putting the same switch in after all these years???

Alan

Like Mihun I wore out one of the velcro pads, but replacements are readily available ... other than that, I guess mine is fully exorcised.

CLAMPS ? Did somebody mention clamps ?

Truth be known, I have more money invested in clamps than my used tablesaw ! The secret to buying clamps is shop for bargains, and buy a few at a time, so the wife doesn't have you comitted for Clamp hording !

I used to buy Craftsman C-clamps, every time they ran a sale.
C-clamps are great when you need to control pressure. Spring clamps for light, non marring application.
Those yellow, or blue squeeze clamps are OK, but mine kept loosing the little springs. so they are in the Last Resort box !

You definitely need clamps !!!
IMG_0437_zpsb0260040.jpg

OH ! If my shop looked this clean again !

Jim

If it's picking only one hand tool, the half-round rasp... it chews out wood easily, esp from concave areas which would be difficult otherwise. Used on paddles, thwarts, and the flat side can be used on other shapes.

SG,

That's a good one, there is certainly a lot of that on this forum!

Back