• Happy Peace Officers Memorial Day! 👮🏽‍♂️👮‍♀️

What do you think I should do?

Well, i think that will be the outcome. It will probably put me up north a little later, affecting my destination.

I agree that the trick is getting the resin just right. I get it saturated and scrape off excess, then use smooth it and remove more resin if necessary. It's not that hard a job, but not for a novice working on a $3k canoe.

Ok, this horse is dead. I'll get the new boat ordered and let you know when it comes in.

Last edited:
I would be pretty disappointed if I had a canoe with this poorly trimmed skid plate, not to mention the fact that it's crooked too. There should be a nice even curve to the end of the skid plate, not this. It looks like a rental. Everyone who sees it would no doubt think it was my work. Take it back.

fetch

In an odd coincidence a carbon NorthStar Northwind 16 came down my driveway this very morning.

http://northstarcanoes.com/canoe/northwind/?option=16

I was hoping it was Santa arriving late, but alas it was just a friend stopping by to make me drool, after driving from NC to PA to buy his dream canoe from BMO.

Drool I did, it is a beautiful canoe, with specs, dimensions and bottom shape right in my sweet spot. We didn’t have time to do a full top to bottom and inside inspection, but everything looked 1[SUP]st[/SUP] quality to me, and I kinda doubt BMO would accept anything less from a manufacturer.

It did not have factory skid plates, but the happy new owner has some personal outfitting touches yet to do, and when the stems start to show wear in a few years he’ll add Dynel skid plates; with some graphite powder and black pigment those skid plates will be near invisible on the carbon hull.

Or maybe he’ll just bring it back up to my shop. I’ll install those skid plates for you Bill. It might take me a year, what with some test paddling.

Well, thats an interesting story. Bottom line is I drove 20 miles out of my way home, and no one at the store with any authority or canoe knowledge. I pointed out my misgivings and told them I would call the owner. I've known him for 15 years and bought 6 canoes from him over the years, so I know him and he'll help facilitate the process. However, I did not thoroughly examine the bottom, just the ends and the softness of the install. The clerk just kept saying "ok", which kind of pissed me off. Like he didn't believe me about the crappiness. Anyway, the boss is a good guy and will help Northstar make good on this.

I was curious about the backstory but as you have been a faithful customer and know the owner it all ought to work out
Let us know how that actually comes out

UPDATE: Northstar is building me a new boat. It will be here in late April, which works for all my plans. I must also add that the manufacturer has been very responsive and understanding about the matter. I'm extremely happy with the remedy and the ease with which it was accomplished. Hats off to Bear and his team - even the guy who installed the first skid will learn a great lesson I'm sure and no one will ever have such a problem again from NS. As I said, it is truly a beautiful boat and I'm looking forward to getting my new on on the water in May. I'll also put a good word for the store, Great Miami Outfitters in Dayton, OH. They have always treated me well in the 15 years I've been a customer, and this instance is a great testimony to GMO's business practices. Thanks to both companies.

PS - I'm even letting NS install the skids on the new boat. :)

Last edited:
Glad to hear they made it right, and your trip won't be impacted. I'm sure Northstar wouldn't want this audience to hear to they didn't make it right.

The response from Northstar, especially from Bear, doesn't surprise me at all. They are a great bunch of folks there. What was surprising was that the canoe got out of their shop like that.

I'm glad it worked out to your satisfaction! I'm not surprised though.....Great Miami Outfitters is a top notch shop and they haven't survived as long as they have without taking care of their customers!

Mike

Back