• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

What do you hate most about winter?

Brad, I'll send you some... 25cm of snow in the last 30 hours. Coming down hard and driving is nuts.

Oh oh ! I don't even want to do the metric conversion thing. :confused: I bet I won't like the sounds of it in any measure. I hope that weather system wears itself out before it gets here.
Tonight around suppertime, a city crew were clearing the large drifts from our street edges, and trucking it away. We looked at each other across our bowls of soup, and took guesses why. She said "So when it rains, the sewers will be clear to drain away the run off." I said "So when we get another big snow dump, there'll be room to put it somewhere." She better be right.
application.pdf

Yep, this I am sure is the most snow I have ever seen in a winter. I am sure we got 25cm too. Forecase was for 2 - 5 cm, I think somebody but the dash in there for effect and we all misunderstood. Cold windy and snowy start to winter now we are getting more snow and for the fist time since November, we are going to have sustained warmer temperatures and by warmer I mean -10. It's been a doozy for sure. I am beginning to fear the snow load on the roof of the house. But that'd be a whole pile of shovelling.

25cm is 10" driven by 40 mph south winds, and being the prairies, it blows until it finds something to pile up against...

You know they clear the Windrows (large drifts from our street edges), all winter in Winnipeg right? We have 5 or 6 snow dumps around the city and those hills are like a hundred feet high now and many acres in size. They may still be around in July.

Warming trend finally here, +2 forecast for Sunday, which goes along with the Time Change this weekend!

Warming trend finally here, +2 forecast for Sunday, which goes along with the Time Change this weekend!
The time change will make the snow melt faster because the sun is out later in the evening. Just wait and see, it works. :cool:

10 whole inches of snow? Maybe a problem in the big city, but you don't live in lake effect country where we get real snow, do you....;)

Real snow? No, not out here. I remember getting 8 feet every winter when I lived near Scarborough, Ontario, where I was born. Out here, normal would be 2 feet, this year we have 6 and it is all piled up behind the house, that being the southern exposure. This winter has been defined by consecutive Wednesday, south wind driven storms, makes for an interesting 45 km commute at 5:30 in the mornings. I'm just tired of having a somewhat nice drive down 25km of wind blown highway to get stuck in drifts in the city.

Pretty sure Winnipeg ran out of plowing budget 6 weeks ago since they stopped plowing some of the further out routes about then.

Enough is enogh

Enough is enogh

Here is the snowy woodlot two days ago, in Delaware. I am into the less seasoned firewood for the woodstove, but sure glad I had it all on hand. I like everything about the woodlot and woodstove. It keeps my spirits up during the darkness, but I am so ready to move on. They claim relief is on the way this weekend.Snow 016 - resize.jpg

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 0
I've seen municipal snow dumps before, but Winnipeg's seemed mountainous. Maybe it was all special effects. A snow bump in a flat landscape. It looked like Kilimanjaro to me. There was some sort of controversy, though I don't remember what it was. Trespass tobogganing? Contaminated melt water? I dunno. Anyway, I'd rather a snow mountain at the city limits, than snow swamped city streets.
Something I haven't seen around here much anymore; snow fences. My Dad erected one without fail, every November, on our front lawn. It worked well, as it baffled the wind coming across the neighbouring farm fields, and built a neat and deep drift down the length of our lawn. I used to think he did all this engineering for me. My very own snow drift. It made a great fort! Over the years I've seen these fences disappearing from the landscape, and I wonder why. Shrinking municipal budgets, or lighter snow falls? This year's precip numbers sure have taken everyone by surprise.
Lately I've been working on a job several miles from home, and have been avoiding the highways. Instead I've been "taking the back route." I go from grumbling about my driveway, to humming to classical music, as I glide through the snowy landscape. I have to be careful though. The frost heaved roads are the worst I've ever seen around here. Spring can't be far off. It must be just around the corner, but it might be a looong corner yet.

It is funny you mention the snow fencing... we are planning that for next Autumn, along the back of the property and in the middle to stop the 10 feet of snow piling up at the back of the house. The lot is 270 feet deep and south facing with a field behind, so we hope we can keep the snow back away from where it lands now. We are going to have the major drifting trucked out, otherwise there will be a river running through the shop for quite some time.

For the most part, my highway driving, #6, is pretty good, the road is slightly elevated from the surrounding fields and it tends to just blow on by. The perimeter highway is another game altogether, with the concrete median and fences, bridges et al, it drifts like mad and I have had to drive on the shoulder of this two lane highway to get to my turnoff.

Spring is coming and soon. The first Flood forecast is for normal or less than normal, which makes one wonder when we have 70% more snow than usual, but this forecast is from a new guy in town. Normal might only be 10,000 acres flooded. :confused:

I do not mind winter but I want it to go away when I want it to. My woodpile has taken the biggest hit in the 35 years I have been heating with it here in northern Illinois. I really feel for all the northern folks coming to Madison,Wisconsin for Canoecopia. It is usually their first chance of the year to see open water and enjoy some moderately warm days. All they are going to see is more piles of snow this year.

The thing about lake effect snow is it's usually heavy and lots and doesn't last long. And hopefully stops once the lake is frozen. I don't miss it.

Sure there is some evaporation going on but pretty much that first flake that fell in november, is still there under the other snow today outside. There is too much snow to go sledding! Well not really but getting stuck is inevitable.

I can't wait for the "What do you Hate About Spring" thread.

For fear of going off thread, I'll just whimper no muddy roads for me. There are some beauties around here, but I'm safely ensconced amongst spoiled suburbia, so only yellow brick road travelling for my sissy van. My springtime challenges will be 1) My aging roof. 2) Put that beer down! whadda ya mess'n round in the garden for? Have ya replaced the roof yet!?
All this winter weather gives me a good and cozy excuse not to be on my roof. At least I never have to shovel it.

You have a lovely place there YC. Do you tap any trees? Oops, that's a spring thought. Though milder days and frosty nights make for good sap conditions. I wonder if we're there yet. I haven't heard of anyone starting production around here just yet. We go on a yearly spring walk in a Conservation Area, and revisit the maple syrup operation there. I have many fond memories of sugaring off elsewhere, and long ago.

Sugaring season hasn't started. Its a bad idea to tap too early before temps get five or so degrees above freezing. There is a sugar stand nearby. I buy from them. I don't have many maples... mostly beech and pines.

Its still pushing 0 degrees F at night.. some below 0.

Bentonite is a unique substance used in numerous industrial applications. Water treatment and wine making are the two that come to mind but recently heard of another that for the life of me can't recall. But if I had of went to your link Mike I would have seen the list :eek:

Anyways I was out today and it's official. This is the most snow accumulated I have ever seen in my life. I know it's not mountain amounts but while trying to dig out my 2 snow machines today I was standing in snow well up to my thighs and at times trudge through waist deep areas. The older folks around here also attest to that fact that they have never seen this much snow. Great news, supposed to snow all week. I was unable to make any sustained movement on my sled today without hurting it. I got some pictures I'll post later. Meanwhile my sore back needs some liberal amounts of rubbing alcohol applied, which I am out of, so I'll just whiskey administered orally.

That snow bank is at the very minimum 6 feet high. In there somewhere are two Muskoka(Adironidak) chairs that sit around the sunken fire pit.

And my attempt at taking my sled down a trail I used two weeks ago

Back