• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

What are you paddling?

Reaction score
Hello all
I'm wondering what everyone paddles---canoe, kayak---brands and models...
Any favorites, least favorites from personal experience??

I'm paddling a 17 foot aluminum tandem...shopping for a lighter tandem for the spring....dreaming of a cedar strip build someday.
(I'd attach a picture, but you'd laugh at all the dents!)
Scott

Re: What are you paddling?

Wenonah Prism as my solo canoe.

Old Town Katahdin 15 tandem as my backup. This is an old canoe in a fiberglass layup that weighs a ton. It used to be my solo, I just paddled it backwards. Got to be way to heavy on portages.

I have a Souris Rivers Q18.5 and have been looking at different solo boats. My bow paddler is off to college this next year so this may be our last trip together for a while although my son-in-law is starting to get the bug also.

ScottB I also have been playing around with building a strip boat also. Bought the “Bible” on building last year but have not ever got a start. I have enough tools to build, just need more clamps. I can make them. I also have access to a large wood shop with everything including a CNC router to get it all prepped and then could bring it home. Would be a tight fit in the garage but it could be done.

I have been paddling a Wenonah Argosy. I do also have a couple of kayaks. Dagger Callisto that I love to do local river races in. Probably the fastest boat I own, narrow and long. A Perception Acadia (now called Carolina 12.0) that does great in rougher water.

I love my 1991 Mad River Explorer, all the same demensions of an Old Town Tripper but an entirely different paddling experience. I go tandem any where or solo if the portages are not to long. Solo polling is great and as a solo boat I always paddle/pole from the stern and adjust my gear location in the canoe for wind or current conditions.
For long, 60+ mile, trips with lots of portages, it a T-Canyon white water kayak. High volume indestructible boat and I wear a helmet all of the time even on flat water of there are rocks in the river or at the shore line. On a solo trip I don't feel I can afford to take a chance on a head injury when getting out of or into the boat and then I'm ready for most pool and drop type rivers. I portage around all class 3+ stuff. The boat is small and easier to get through the woods than a big boat, tight turns are possible in even the thickest of brush or woods, I hate spruce forests, no lasting scars but I've come back from spruce with literally 100s scratches on my arms, legs, and even a few on my face. Oh did I mention I hate thick spruce!

Currently we are about to start a trip to the Everglades. We are paddling two solo boats. One a Curtis Nomad that is currently made by Colden Canoe and a Placid BoatWorks RapidFire.. We will be out on the Gulf and on the inside (Wilderness Waterway) and need boats that handle waves well.

I have an Argosy, Swift Raven, three Loon Works boats, a Souris River Wilderness 18, a Wenonah Odyssey, a Hemlock Peregrine and a Swift Heron, a Wilderness Systems Shenai, a Colden DragonFly a Sawyer 190, a Swift Otter and am seeking a Sea Wind.

And a boat barn! (Lessee some fifteen thousand dollars in boats and a thirty thousand dollar structure to house them...but the justification is that there is an attic and a workshop too)

The correct number of canoes to own is shown in the formula C=n+1, where C is the correct number of canoes and n is the number you currently own.

I have a Rapidfire that I use the most, but I do still paddle my tuffweave Prism a few times a year.
I cut the height of the Prism down and gave it a look close to a Clipper Solitude.

IMGP0971_zpsf2b2c029.jpg

IMGP0048_zps8c87f807.jpg

Last edited:

Mostly tandem but it solos well, I'm very happy with a kevlar Vermont Encore in most every environment except those scratchy-low-water-unkind-to-gelcoat times of year. For those I just picked up a royalex Bell Chestnut Prospector but the water is a little too hard to use it right now.

Hey--nice collection of canoes.
I do have serious Rapidfire envy!
Yellowcanoe...you have a Colden Dragonfly???!!! Did you buy the first one? We didn't get to the WPASCR event this year where I heard it was unveiled.
Richard..that MR sounds like the all purpose adventure boat.
TD...Never heard of Vermont Encore, is that from a small boat maker?
Kevin...my bow paddler is also off to college....commuting for now so I'm looking forward to this summer.
Roadends...I looked at Argosy at the canoe shop...they sell a lot of those..must be a nice boat.

[quote author=Willis link=topic=141.msg368#msg368 date=1326047849]
The correct number of canoes to own is shown in the formula C=n+1, where C is the correct number of canoes and n is the number you currently own.
[/quote]

Therefore the rate of change, dC/dn=1.....which means I must buy one before spring!

Scott

Scott

The Vermont Canoe and Kayak Company arose from the remnants of Confluence's acquiring Mad River Canoe and moving operations south, leaving quite a bit of talent (and maybe a few molds) behind in Vermont. Unfortunately, Irene made quite a mess of things and I'm unsure if they'll ever be able to bounce back. Sadly, the banks have also done their best to hamper operations.

The Encore shares many similarities with the Mad River Explorer.

Tom

Scott I do have Colden DragonFly Number One aka the Phoenix or the Blue Tarp Special.

Flat bottomed surf kayak with a fin in Hawaii for the rest of the winter.

Wenonah Sandpiper, Mohawk Odyssey 14, awaiting a Wenonah Wilderness.

Also a cedar-strip Night Heron, Wilderness Systems Zephyr 155, Wilderness Systems Tempest 170.

Once I receive the Wilderness my kayak:canoe reality will be in balance :)

For tandem, I have a 17' Old town Candienne in figerglass. It's too dang heavy to portage alone anymore. Two years ago I bought a Hemlock Nessmuk XL, 24 lbs., for my solo trips now which I am loving.

Paddled a surf kayak yesterday in 3 to 5 foot offshore reef breaking waves, Hawaii, Barbers US Coast Guard Air Station. "Caught some very long rides, all ended in a side surfing position. I fell out of the boat at least a dz times. Water temp was 80°F.

Pakman...tell us about the Nessmuk XL. Do you use a double paddle or single blade? What do you love about it? We live an hour away from Hemlock Canoe Works...I really need to get over there and paddle some boats on Canadice Lake.
Scott

Back