• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

West PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous

Reaction score
A reminder, and a fresh invitation, to everyone to what will be the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] annual Western PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous. Held always the first full weekend in June, which this year will be June 2/3/4, (Friday-Sunday) 2017, at our regular home at Cooper’s Lake Campground, Portersville/Slippery Rock PA. A deliberately informal gathering of enthusiasts and afficianados of solo canoes in particular (but tandems are welcome too…) We have the best of the current canoe manufacturers present with demo models for you to try out; a selection of classic canoes that you just don’t see that often; some FreeStyle paddling instruction and Interpretive demos; a Candlelight paddle over the night-darkened pond if the weather allows; some beautifully restored wood/canvas canoes from our local Three Rivers Chapter of WCHA; and much else. An event dedicated to the goal of immersing oneself in canoes and canoe folks in all of their variety and diversity for 60-some hours to the Exclusion of All Other Reality. The event itself is free, though our host campground assesses a fee for camping and for day-trippers. Information is available at our website http://www.wpascr.org (click on “message board” – anything with 2017 in the thread title will contain current info, and clicking on “prior years” will take you to pictures of Rendezvous’ past) and also on our Facebook page (“Western PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous”). You can “like” us there, but you’ll like us a whole lot more in real life, so come be with us. It’s a Very Nice Affair Indeed! See you there…

You might want to reach out to Swift Canoes. I was talking with Scott last week about a new canoe, he told me they weren't sure if they were going to WPASCR.:(

Bill and the Rendezvous have been partners from the R's beginning, and Swift is sometimes with us and sometimes not, as their schedule allows. Historically, they have been with us more often than not. No word yet as to 2017

"Right now we're not scheduled to attend the WPASCR show, although we had some discussions about possibly being there. So I can't confirm we're attending, but hopefully we'll have that sorted out soon." 31Mar17 email

Hope to see them there also, I have my eye on another one of their canoes.

Thanks for keeping the event going Bruce. It started as a sharing your boat event and sharing your knowledge event and not at all a commercial event and Dave Curtis was there to give some talks on canoe materials. DY came for boat design.. Along the years some commercial vendors came.. I think Savage River and ADK boats and Slipstream.

The focus is still on sharing knowledge and playing with each others toys and not so much commercial sell. I suspect that if vendors come its cause it suits their schedule that year. Its a relatively small event.. maybe 200 people interested in paddling canoes.. LDC said he rarely sells canoes at the event but interested people contact him later.
Participants generally bring canoes and they are mostly solos. If a vendor is not there there is a good chance some private owner has that boat present for you to paddle.

If you need a wider selection of craft consider Mountainman in the Adirondacks in May or in Connecticut the last weekend in April http://www.collinsvillecanoe.com/sale-demo-weekend

I plan on taking a Merrimack Baboosic out. Can't say I'm much into freestyle paddling but I understand it's a pretty good boat for that.

I plan on taking a Merrimack Baboosic out. Can't say I'm much into freestyle paddling but I understand it's a pretty good boat for that.

Very good that and is is very good.. If you have any skill to share.. ie maybe you have a talent for something canoe related, feel free to lead a workshop.. In the past i have done workshops for those who have never been in a solo and those working on the Jstroke.. Need not be about freestyle at all. That demo is just something that has been done for ten years. And isnt the be all or end all of the event.. I'd like to see some informal classes on forward stroke or sit and switch.

Very good that and is is very good.. If you have any skill to share.. ie maybe you have a talent for something canoe related, feel free to lead a workshop.. In the past i have done workshops for those who have never been in a solo and those working on the Jstroke.. Need not be about freestyle at all. That demo is just something that has been done for ten years. And isnt the be all or end all of the event.. I'd like to see some informal classes on forward stroke or sit and switch.

I think for this year being my first I'll just bring out a couple of boats and hang out.

I think with the fresh view from you at Sanborn( Merrimack) you will be busy chatting.. Very much looking forward to your boats. Will you be bringing some demo paddles too? I have not seen/felt them and others might like to too.

https://sanborncanoe.com/collections/all-paddles

I think they are mostly bents? That would be nice to have some to see. I know Marc will bring straights.

Last edited:
I think with the fresh view from you at Sanborn( Merrimack) you will be busy chatting.. Very much looking forward to your boats. Will you be bringing some demo paddles too? I have not seen/felt them and others might like to too.

https://sanborncanoe.com/collections/all-paddles

I think they are mostly bents? That would be nice to have some to see. I know Marc will bring straights.

I can bring a bunch of straight and bent Sanborn paddles for folks to try out. Probably just bring a couple of boats since I'm not sure I want to pull a trailer out.

Back