• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Wenonah Canak

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here either has or had a Wenonah Canak? What do you like or don't like about it? Personally I've never seen one let alone paddle one, however I'm fascinated with the concept and wish they'd bring it back. Anyway I thought it might be a fun discussion, cheers!Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 12.40.15 PM.png

I have one and like it alot. It uses Wenonah's Prism hull and glides along pretty well while paddling, whether loaded or not. It tracks well and also turns very easily. The nylon hatch covers make for easy access to your gear, which can be a problem in other decked canoes

It has webbing on the deck for strapping stuff down and handy little spare paddle bungees on either side of the cockpit. I easily found a Seals spray skirt that fits the cockpit, it' seems to be as big as most recreational kayaks.

It's a fairly light weight boat especially when compared to other decked canoes such as Kruger built canoes but then again it's not going to take a beating like those canoes either.

I can honestly say that I don't have a bad thing to say about it, it's a well built boat that may need new hatch covers in a few more years but I treat them every year,so for being about 6 years old there no issues so far. I don't see them up for sale very often so I think most people that have them like them.

I’ve heard that many of the older Wenonah models no longer listed in the catalog are still available if you call the factory……Northstar canoes offer a decked canoe, the Rob Roy, from the pictures, no hatch covers, but it appears to have a larger cockpit for ease of loading/unloading…..maybe….

Northstar Rob Roy

Mike

I have one and like it alot. It uses Wenonah's Prism hull and glides along pretty well while paddling, whether loaded or not. It tracks well and also turns very easily. The nylon hatch covers make for easy access to your gear, which can be a problem in other decked canoes

It has webbing on the deck for strapping stuff down and handy little spare paddle bungees on either side of the cockpit. I easily found a Seals spray skirt that fits the cockpit, it' seems to be as big as most recreational kayaks.

It's a fairly light weight boat especially when compared to other decked canoes such as Kruger built canoes but then again it's not going to take a beating like those canoes either.

I can honestly say that I don't have a bad thing to say about it, it's a well built boat that may need new hatch covers in a few more years but I treat them every year,so for being about 6 years old there no issues so far. I don't see them up for sale very often so I think most people that have them like them.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I would love to find one eventually or even better Wenonah bring it back. As mentioned below about the Northstar "Rob Roy" I like it but I like Canak better, I think it is more functional. I'm picking up a used Prism this weekend... Maybe next year I'll stumble on a Canak?

I’ve heard that many of the older Wenonah models no longer listed in the catalog are still available if you call the factory……Northstar canoes offer a decked canoe, the Rob Roy, from the pictures, no hatch covers, but it appears to have a larger cockpit for ease of loading/unloading…..maybe….

Northstar Rob Roy

Mike
That is interesting to hear.. I've looked at the Rob Roy but like the idea of the Canak better.

There are no bulkheads between the hatches and the cockpit like you would find on a kayak but the are small storage/flotation compartments in the bow and stern.

I forgot to add that it has a sliding pedestal seat with adjustable foot braces. An ideal set up for a single blade paddle but the lower profile of the deck makes a kayak paddle much easier to use than in a standard canoe, in my opinion.

Wenonah came out with the Canyak just as the popularity of Adirondack pack canoes was taking off. Pack canoes in wooden form have been around for 140 years but if you aren't from the area, they were an anomaly. With the advent of carbon fiber and kevlar making lightweight pack canoes commercially feasible Wenonah may have wanted to jump on the bandwagon.

Sliding seats arent found because pack boats are supposed to be as light as possible Some can be single bladed if they have tumblehome. The Hornbecks some are and some aren't meant for single blading.. Placids can all be single bladed. Not sure about Savage River, Adirondack, Hemlock and Slipstream
All pack canoes were meant to be double bladed of course as their sheer is uniformly lower than a typical canoe and the seat lower.
I don't know why the Canak was retired.. It was not light as the rest of pack canoes ( about 10-20 lbs more) but not really heavy either

Wenonah came out with the Canyak just as the popularity of Adirondack pack canoes was taking off. Pack canoes in wooden form have been around for 140 years but if you aren't from the area, they were an anomaly. With the advent of carbon fiber and kevlar making lightweight pack canoes commercially feasible Wenonah may have wanted to jump on the bandwagon.

Sliding seats arent found because pack boats are supposed to be as light as possible Some can be single bladed if they have tumblehome. The Hornbecks some are and some aren't meant for single blading.. Placids can all be single bladed. Not sure about Savage River, Adirondack, Hemlock and Slipstream
All pack canoes were meant to be double bladed of course as their sheer is uniformly lower than a typical canoe and the seat lower.
I don't know why the Canak was retired.. It was not light as the rest of pack canoes ( about 10-20 lbs more) but not really heavy either
I don't see the Canak as trying to be a pack canoe. Wenonah has the Wee Lassie, etc. which is along the Rushton/Adirondack lines. I'd think they're more trying to bridge canoes and kayaks (hence "Canak"), leaning a bit toward the Loon/Monarch as a tripping decked canoe, especially considering their depth and sliding seat/footbraces. I'd love to try one, but I'm not exactly in canoe country, and I have more than plenty of boats (gasp!) for my uses.

Maybe. Pack canoes usually come with adjustable footbraces, not all though. I have a Monarch and the seat goes up and down but doesn't slide. Yes it is a terrific boat. You can't have it till I die.
You know we are going down the rabbit hole of what's a canoe and what's a kayak?
this calls for a can of Moose Drool (coming home from a trip last week N of Flagstaff Lake we came across a moose on the road.. It had the nerve not to wait for my camera to be activated)

Moose Drool. Missoula, Montana. We have better here in Bozeman!
Well we do here too but back in 2012 I thought it was tasty
Now our palates have become more discerning
For beer. Most of us. There are BL slurpers still
Wine . Dont waste a bunch of money on that
A 75 buck bottle tastes just like a nine buck bottle to me
A tip of the Foundation Burnside to you

Maybe. Pack canoes usually come with adjustable footbraces, not all though. I have a Monarch and the seat goes up and down but doesn't slide. Yes it is a terrific boat. You can't have it till I die.
You know we are going down the rabbit hole of what's a canoe and what's a kayak?
this calls for a can of Moose Drool (coming home from a trip last week N of Flagstaff Lake we came across a moose on the road.. It had the nerve not to wait for my camera to be activated)
What I love about the Canak is the idea of it, the theory and the rarity... I hope to find one for sale next year in great condition but my ultimate hope is Wenonah would bring it back so I can order one. I mean a Canak in graphite would be sweet!

I'd suggest it's a decked canoe because the chambers aren't sealed ie it's open below decks. But what do I know?
I remember seeing these Canaks when they first came out and wanting one but the listed price kept me away. Thought it'd be a nice solo tripper with a double blade. I decided to wait for 2nd hand Canaks to show up but they are rare so I gave up on that idea pretty quick. Tandem canoes (pre Covid) nearly grow on trees and are a pleasure to paddle so I'll stick with that.

What I love about the Canak is the idea of it, the theory and the rarity... I hope to find one for sale next year in great condition but my ultimate hope is Wenonah would bring it back so I can order one. I mean a Canak in graphite would be sweet!
1655908240285.png

I also have a Falcon from Savage River in Graphite and it's a beauty!! I stole this picture off the internet, I don't have a rudder on mine.

I'll call dibs on that Monarch!! ;)

Back