• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

Week long tripping saw?

Reaction score
Hello guys. I great fully accepted an offer today to do a week long canoe trip on the Allagash Wilderness Waterway in June. In my excitement I came home and looked through some of my gear to get ready. It hit me: I have just about everything except a good saw for tripping. I really doesn't feel like hauling around my 21 inch or 30 inch bow saws in a canoe. What do you guys reccommend for a good folding canoe tripping saw? I am open to folding bucksaws of any type and maybe a good knife style folding saw if it's a good one. I will always have an axe with me for felling, limbing, and splitting.

Thanks, Alex

Silky saws are a very nice high quality folding blade saw. Available in a variety of sizes. They are a pull-style blade which is my preference, perhaps not for others. I have three of their saws and love 'em.

Hi Alex,
I do carry a 21 inch bow saw, and do not find it a problem at all. I also find it very useful for large diameter blowdown that I have to clear. Most of my ideal firewood poles can be cut with a folding Bacho Laplander (8 inch blade), but I like the power and versatility of the bow saw. I have cut cross-river sweepers away with the bowsaw, cleared blowdown off tent sites with the bow saw, and cut down widow maker hazard trees with the bowsaw. I lash it to the stern seat on my tandem solo (I sit in the bow seat facing the other way), and just portage it with the canoe. I have also clipped it to my gear pack. Its fairly easy to come up with a portaging location for it.

If you are still stuck on the folding saw, the Bacho Laplander is an inexpensive and a great little folding saw that can cut both ways, although better on the pull. I carry it sometimes along with the bow saw on canoe trips, and its my backpacking saw. The Silky saws are legendary for sharpness and quality, but only cut on the pull, and although I do not own one, I have read about snapped blades when they sometimes bind on the push. The Silky's come in many lengths. The Silky Gomboy 240 model is one I have had my eye on. MEC now carries them (which surprised me, since MEC is not really a wood cutting tool and open fire supporter): http://www.mec.ca/product/5042-190/silky-gomboy-240-folding-saw/?f=10+50505

So HOOP, do you think it is worth it to carry a now saw along with me? I have found with bow saws that some are awesome saws and some are terrible. I think a lot has to do with the blade steel. What brands do you prefer for bow saws? Also, do you use a tear shaped saw or the regular framed bow saw?

Thanks, Alex

First of all I concur with Hoop's post.

I can only add that I have both a Bahco folder and a I have a 21" folding "Bob Destrude" saw.
The Destrude saw is fantastic and the price is right. It weighs little and works hard. I've used it on numerous backwoods and canoe trips.

Yes I travel with both if canoeing. If I'm backpacking it depends on the trip which one I take.

Last edited:
I would get a Bob quick bow saw!! It will be in my kit this summer!!
In fact I just ordered a 24" right now.

Last edited:
I've used a few bow saws but we landed with this one. It's fast and light and don't have to worry about the blade breaking, cheap too.
It may have a 24" bigger brother 18" seams short.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-1...1002/203273602
636d09b6-1888-4a0e-b96f-4ccb2f0f2eb8_400.jpg

I have a Silky PocketBoy folding saw that is ideal for the very little I use it. I just saw the Dandy and Putsch one man crosscut saws. They look like they might be very good for more substantial use without carrying a folding or one-piece buck saw.

I carry a corona folding saw. Probably because I'm a horticulturalist by trade and they have always made great sheers and other gardening tools. It has a 10" blade so it's bigger than most folders but still fits nicely in a pack or 5 gallon bucket.

SILKY BIG BOY. I can't say enough about it.

Here I tested it out on a large well seasoned piece of maple. My arm fell off using a 24in trailblazer buck saw on another cut. It seemed MUCH easier with the silky.
https://youtu.be/D21S7q17IyQ

My only suggestion is if you order one you may as well order a couple replacement blades as well to save on shipping. If the blade gets a little tight in the log, and you push forward too fast the blade can bind and permanently bend or snap off. But does it ever chew through the wood

Jason

I've always tripped with a simple bow saw, they don't take up much room in a canoe. Now if you need one for backpacking too then a folding saw may be preferred. You could always do what many other do and just let someone else take a saw.

So HOOP, do you think it is worth it to carry a now saw along with me? I have found with bow saws that some are awesome saws and some are terrible. I think a lot has to do with the blade steel. What brands do you prefer for bow saws? Also, do you use a tear shaped saw or the regular framed bow saw?

Thanks, Alex

Hi Alex. I have several brands of bow saw (Bacho, Sandvik, Gman, unknown). I use the ones with the "bow" space at both ends so that it can cut poles and small logs with a full stroke, not the triangles. The triangles IMO are useless because most of the blade's stroke is impossible when cutting logs. The blade does the cutting, so to prevent a large part of the blade from cutting is a design flaw. I also have two new Bob Dustrude folding bow saws in 21 and 24 inch, and am itching to use them - good reviews on the web.

Many hardware store bowsaws have terrible blades. Unfortunately Sandvik (now Bacho) might no longer make their excellent blades in Sweden where they had the qc. Many blades now seem to be made in Portugal, although we may have recently seen Bacho move back to Sweden? (I have Bacho blades made in Portugal, but they are good blades). For a while when Sandvik had just sold to Bacho back in the late 90’s, the Sandvik blades and saws disappeared and no-name blades flooded the market, sold without any tooth offset, or incorrect tooth offset, so the saw of course would bind and be useless. Hold the bowsaw blade up lengthwise and sight down it to make sure you can see a good offset so that the teeth will cut a kerf wider than the spine of the blade.

Bacho now stamps their blades with their name and logo, and these are the only ones I know of sold around here which are good blades. I would never touch a no-name blade again. I trust Bacho qc. They are sold in my town at Chaltrek here (Chaltrek will ship, they work by phone), and for internet stores in Canada, Canadian Outdoor Equipment sells them online, and in the States, Bens Backwoods sells them. I have used both of these internet stores and they have excellent service.

There are different tooth patterns. I prefer the green wood patterns with the big gullets and long raker teeth to clear the sawdust out. I find these cut dry dead firewood better than the dry wood blades with the smaller teeth and no gullets. Mind you my forests are all softwood species (pine, spruce, fir, cedar), and even the so-called “hardwoods” are soft (poplar, birch). The softwood sawdust seems to clog easily, so I find the green wood blades just work better even on the driest softwood. And the green wood blades will cut green wood blowdown and sweepers, and rotten wet wood, so for my areas I travel, these green wood blades work best for me.

I used to have a landscape company for a last career, and really like the small Japanese pruning saws. I have a folding Schmidt saw that is very handy, but usually don't bring a saw. We just stuff the ends into the fire Indian style.

For what it's worth, I've had the same saw that Mars mentioned above from Bob Destrude and it has been fantastic. Mine came from Piragis in Ely, MN via their catalog and it replaced an old Sven saw. The blade works very well and I've used it when doing trail work as well as for cutting wood for my winter hot tent set up. At this point I don't feel the need for another saw this one works so well. It carries well, closes/opens easily, the blade is protected while in transit and I haven't found anything yet it won't cut. You will be restricted to the diameter of the wood you can cut but that's pretty much the same with any of these similarly constructed folding saws. Bottom line though, I'm quite happy to have it as part of my kit. YMMV.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Well, there sure are some great folding bow saws out there, but this last winter I stumbled on that "Silky" folding saw and am really impressed. I got the medium sized one, would have got the largest but when it was closed up there still is a gap of uncovered teeth in the middle and I could see getting a finger in there.

Just to see and compare, I took my bow saw and the new Silky out to the woods and cut up some dead fall. Now, it wasn't as scientific as a test put on by Consumer Reports, but I did cut up a bunch of wood, and hands down that Silky was the best. Plus no assembly required and no parts to loose.

The Silky has some kind of compound teeth, not like anything I've ever seen before, and as has been said, cuts on the pull stroke. Because it cuts on the pull, the blade doesn't need to be as strong/thicker like a saw that cuts on the push stroke as well. What that means is that the kerf, the removed wood, is thinner and so less wood needs to be cut. Less work.

I think there's a nearly universal inclination to press down on the saw to hurry the cut along. Often times this works against you and is counter productive. All that's needed is for the teeth to be in firm contact to the wood along with a smooth stroke. If you need some confirmation that everything is going along well, just check out the steady stream of sawdust as the saw is clearing the kerf in preparation for the next cut. Relax and let the saw work as it's designed to do.

Best Wishes, Rob

I've got one of these fiskars folding saws, works just fine on the size wood I typically cut on a trip (less than 4"). I don't think they make this one anymore but I've heard a lot of good stuff about Corona

I have used (and have) a variety of take down and folder saws and in the end most often take a rigid bow 21” bow saw. I don’t like doing assembly in the field or in the boat, don’t like dropping little parts and pieces in leaf litter or the bottom of the boat (if I’m lucky) with the take down saws, and I’m leery of any fold/lock mechanism if getting vigorous in stroke or binding.

And, honestly, I’m lazy. If I have to assemble and disassemble a saw, even a stupid simple Sven Saw, I’m less likely to use it.

The one I have may have been a Fiskars, at least their 21” replacement blades fit. I made a blade guard by running a router along the flat edge of a length of old gunwale stock to cover the teeth, held in place with some Velcro tabs on the ash.

It slips into any long skinny void in the canoe, usually in-boat accessible, and takes only a few seconds to remove or replace the blade guard.

For my purposes the most dangerous aspect of carrying a saw is in the moments when it is not in use with the teeth exposed, and having a secure easy on/off blade guard is paramount.

Back