• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Webbing a canoe seat?

Reaction score
Did some research but little confused.
Nylon vs poly? Will I really know the difference as a casual paddler? Some take longer to dry? Some are anti bacterial?
About how many feet of webbing is needed for an Old Town seat?
I saw a video where they suggested app 25 ft per seat, does that sound right?
Stainless steel staples vs screws and washers?

Thanks

I use stainless steel staples when I do it. Not sure how much per seat it would be based on width of webbing being used, how many runs of webbing too. Any spaces between rows?

First seat I made had 1 and 2" webbing which was determined strictly by the colours I wanted to use. I wrapped it around the inside edge and stapled it, then stretched it across and stapled the other side. I cut a piece of cardboard to fit the space inside the seat and marked where my webbing runs would be so everything would line up correctly. That also allowed me to figure the correct spacing before starting the process.

Thanks Mihun09, I like the contrast of the different green, just so happens the Old Town I'm fixing up for my friend happens to be green. Thanks, mind if I copy that look?

Go right ahead. I used the two greens with the darker one over black 2" wide webbing. It looked great on the green boat. First picture in original solo version and when I sold the boat the couple who bought it wanted a tandem so I made and added a second seat.

Nice.
How does webbing compare with cane in terms of comfort and durability? I've always used cane but am willing to be persuaded otherwise.

Didn't even notice the black at first.
How much webbing did you use approximately if I may ask?
Poly or Nylon?

I like the seats in the photo. Cane is not that durable especially in our dry climate. I just placed an order with a company in Oregon called Strapworks. They sell many kinds of strapping in patterns, 25 colors, and many materials. Their description of materials is very revealing. They sell nylon, but much prefer polypropylene. Nylon is resistant to abrasion, but degrades in UV and can rot when wet. Poly doesn't stand up to abrasion very well, but is very resistant to UV and getting wet.

For a raft with a frame everything is connected by straps. I bought some 2 inch slings for a cooler and a dry box, and various poly straps in patterns like northwest totem, tie dye and puppy paws. It will be very convenient to have straps to tie in equipment, secure the frame to pontoons, and it will really jazz up the boat compared all NRS blue straps for instance.

Those look great.
I'd like to remove the tractor seats from my Spirit II and put in webbed seats, did you make or buy the frames?

I now save all my old seats as long as the ends are good and then take the cane out and put in webbing. I have a write up somewhere and will post. It's very easy to do. I use black webbing as that is what is available locally and is cheap. I will also post a place where I've ordered before for a very decent price.

Here's the link to what I did:
http://scooter-bangortoportland.blogspot.com/2014/07/mad-river-adventure-canoe-repair.html

I now go to Rocky's Hardware Store in Concord, NH and buy webbing but have ordered from:

http://www.countrybrookdesign.com/webbing-and-hardware/nylon-webbing

They were the cheapest I could find on the web until I found Rocky's had it. Hope this helps.

dougd

Last edited:
dougd thanks just read report, 36 ft of webbing.

ppine, thanks also saw Strapworks on pnet, pretty cool designs. Now it looks like my daughter will get my boat as i originally planned when purchased.

Mihun09, question. Can you explain how you did the black webbing first. I'm trying to look carefully at the seat and I'm not to sure if the black is under the think 1" strap or is it sideways under the 2" strap. Or it goes a different way. Thanks, I'm checking out Strapworks.

PS, app how many feet or Meters did you use? Thanks.

I ordered in feet actually. There is a fabric store across the street from where I work and I just pick through what they have. A meter is 39 3/8". I don't know if it is poly or nylon, likely poly though with how the ends melt when heated to stop the fraying after cutting to length.

Those seats had the 2" black down first, then the darker green on top, the lighter green weaved through. I stapled the darker green on top after the black was stapled in. I tap the staples down with a hammer, seat them I suppose you could say.

I build my own seat frames. I made jigs for putting a contour on the frames and usually do a 5 or 7 ply lamination of cherry and ash and try to get just over an inch of thickness before routing the corners off. All edges are rounded over after I put the frames together with mortise and tenon joints. I actually do the joints by hand since I lack a drill press and the appropriate tooling for the mortises. Brad point bit, chisels, patience, etc. The joints themselves are glued with epoxy with the hopes they won't ever come loose.

In most cases I make my frames, the seating area, larger than usual. I want my butt on the webbing, not on the wood frames, but it cannot always be done that way. With some of the w/c canoes we have up here, the space between the inwales for the factory stern seat is less than 14" so I make that to fit and the bow seat to match. If it is something like fitting out a solo I can make the seating area larger.

Length of webbing, off the top of my head for the last set I did on Red's Tremblay... 25 feet maybe, it would have been more for the green seats since there is more material used. Either way it was less than $20 for each pair. The green ones were firmer with the extra layer than the red and black ones.

As for which is better. I haven't spent enough time in my cane seats for comparison really and the cane ones I also do oversized seat area when I can.

Thanks, those seats look great on that red boat also, real art work. Guess you realize that I like colorful things. Appreciate you ideas, will check out Strapworks, they have lots of choices.

I bought a roll of 1 1/2" black webbing years ago, poly, and have made quite a few seats. I use brass ring nails with a real small pre drill into the ash frames. My stapler wouldn't penetrate the ash. I still have 1/2 the roll and it turned out to be a good buy, makes nice comfortable canoe seats.

Spent about 3 hours re-webbing a couple of seats today. I find it enjoyable to do this task, just measure, melt and staple on. I had to resort to using some different types of webbing but it all turned out ok. I have never done contour seats so this was a hair of a learning curve but it turned out good, nice an taught and fairly uniform. I was coming up short on webbing so added a piece of red just for the heck of it. The longer seat used almost 25' of webbing. I started to come up short for the shorter seat so had to resort to using other pieces I had around. IMG_3954.JPG IMG_3953.JPG IMG_3957.JPG IMG_3957.JPG IMG_3955.JPG IMG_3956.JPG IMG_3957.JPG

Last edited:
I like Doug's seats. All black is traditional but why not make a statement with something cool? Maybe several complimentary colors used in an asymmetrical pattern.

Back