• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Weather out East ...

Reaction score
To all you canoe trippers in the North East, I hope you all still have power. I hear with the snow and ice it is pretty bad out there ... My thoughts and prayers are with you. It is very windy with an ambient temp of -12 (F) here, but we still have power.

I wish everyone a happy and safe new year ... Especially those in dangerous winter weather.

Bob.

Except for Internet, loss of power has no effect on us..Have genny that runs house.. also woodstove and big stack of wood. Dug out of last nights gift of a foot. Now off on normal weekly errands.

We have the snow on the ground. In the valleys though we seldom get drifts as not as much wind comes through. I don't think I would like the Midwest that much with really cold temps and high winds.. It will be -14 too but for us thats mostly at night. The sea is still close enough to have a bit of moderating effect.

When the big snows hit Eastern cities, thats when I am glad I don't live in one.

Otherwise I would need more spare chairs to even think about driving a car. I never knew that parking chairs were used in Pittsburgh and Chicago. I thought it was exclusively a Boston practice.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57573976-94/can-dataless-smartphones-still-use-gps-navigation-apps/

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/gallery/saving_spaces_after_storms/

Its legal to reserve your spot up till 48 hours after the storm ends. Beware trying to steal it..

Our family here have escaped the worst of these storms, and are thankful for it. Two nieces of ours went without power for a time, and can laugh about it now.
We've gathered together for any number of family get togethers; dinners, movies, brunches and baby showers. I truly believe it's more than longjohns and wool scarves that keep us warm throughout this season; and as our final few family members leave today for their own distant homes, this warmth will sustain me till the next get together.
Thanks Bob, I wish you and all of this canoe community a safe and happy new year.

The power dropped here this morning briefly, with how cold it is that ain't a good thing. I remember the ice storms from growing up in Southern Ontario. Out here now it is brutally cold, -48F windchill at the moment, my battery froze overnight. I'm hoping my friends and family back in Ontario have power.

When I am feeling cold I like to go to www.mountwashington.org Another world though its only 30 miles away.
Its -40 wind chill there now and a balmy -1F for actual temp (Its +25 here). Later in the week the folks that work there (there is a crew there all the time) will go out and read the instruments (roped of course) and I will be able to see -99 for windchill. ( I believe the instruments only register that low a wind chill. It could be lower)

The Actual temperature here at the moment, under a brilliant sun, is -27F. This has so far been an unusually cold winter, even for Manitoba. Normal for this time of year would be 9F and -9F at night.

Got the truck going, new battery is on the way.

My little brother and his family moved back to the winter milds of Southern Ontario, from the winter wilds of Manitoba. My wife (who spent her happiest childhood years there) and I visited them one winter week. It was fffffun, I guess. The sunshine is deceiving though. One day I went out for a walk, to bask in the winter sunshine. I wanted to see the prairie beyond the town's grain elevator and CO-OP store. Despite wearing everything I owned, the merest breathe of wind cut through me like I was buck naked, and nearly cost me my extremities. All of them. My brother delighted in seeing me trying to recover feeling in my face. "Hey Brad, let's grab a couple beers, and head out to the hot tub!" "Ffff aawwff!" He was serious. So was I.
We still have some unfinished business out there:
http://festivalvoyageur.mb.ca/en/,
and http://www.maisongabrielleroy.mb.ca/en/house/history
and http://www.theforks.com/rivertrail

If beard growing categories included scruffy and unscrupulous looking, I'd win, no contest. But these days I limit myself to a scruffily refined goatee and tache. Here's a shameless selfie to remind myself that I still have good days and bad days; though they're getting harder to tell them apart.

Thanks ffffor the invite Mihun. Out last winter trip out there was about fffive years ago. I'm just getting the fffeeling back in my ffface.
We were actually planning on moving to the 'Peg area a decade ago. We were downtown in January, job hunting at the U of Manitoba. I was impressed by the free plug- ins in all the municipal parking lots, complete with extension cords. I thought "How friendly and civilized." The temperatures were less so. We were bundled up looking quite out of place, as so many students were lounging around between buildings without coats! None of them looked cold. All of them looked perfectly fine with the weather!
We revisited this place again, having gone there one summer visit. http://www.fortwhyte.org/about
There was a toboggan run, made out of wood. It resembled a logging era chute, and slid tobogganers out onto the frozen pond. We also walked the trails, and bird watched. It was all part of a wonderful winter visit.
We never did end up moving there. Some days I'm okay with that, some days I'm not. It's funny, because so many times I'd think "Well, it'll be nice to visit family again, but I don't know what they see in this place called Manitoba." But I can tell you, every single time we left, I was regretting going home.
It's easy for me to wax teary eyed and sentimental. Our Southern Ontario "cold snap" is in the minus teens. I can go out to push some snow, fill the bird feeders, and never lose the feeling in my face. Mihun, you've got it so bad, it's good!

Last edited:
Brad, I grew up in Agincourt (N Scarborough), moved here from Guelph in spring of 2009 to find work. The only reason I stay here and put up with winter is the canoeing. It is a 3 1/2 hour drive to Wallace Lake and from there I can paddle into Atikaki and WCPP and not see another soul for weeks. There is also Nopoming Park a little south of Wallace Lake and so much more we have yet to explore, if only for time.

Summer isn't without it's problems here, very hot, very dry, back country travel bans happen, in 2011 travel was banned the entire month of August.

Back