• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Water, water everywhere ...

Reaction score
What do you do for water while tripping? Filters? Boil? Chemicals?

Most of the time I've hauled drinking water from home (fine for base camping) and/or boiled water (wastes fuel and doesn't remove particles). I'm looking for recommendations for filters (I think), unless you want to convince me otherwise.

Where do you do your tripping ? And do you need a filter for other activities like hiking in the mountains?

I've used tablets, nothing, gravity filters and pump filters. All have their place and advantages and disadvantages
Only on the Missouri River and in salt water have I brought along drinking water

I filter what I drink and the water I cook with gets boiled.

Gravity filters are very popular now and Sawyer seems to be the most well thought of with Katadyn at the bottom of the pile.

I planned to gravity filter my water with a DIY setup using my own bags so I didn't want to spend the money for the whole kit from Sawyer; but as far as I know you can't buy their large filter separately. Instead I bought a Sawyer filter bottle (this uses their large filter) thinking I'd just take the filter and use it for my gravity setup. But the bottle turned out to be so handy I never have bothered to use it as a gravity filter other than trying it out at home.

It's a little more work to suck your water through the straw but not a big deal. After 2-3 weeks it gets plugged to the point where I need to back flush it (easy). I've got close to 100 days on the filter at this point.

https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/s...TjAvRWWm1pI8TKGcB1MzXusAV4a-6SYtxnxoC7YXw_wcB

Alan

Where do you do your tripping ? And do you need a filter for other activities like hiking in the mountains?

I've used tablets, nothing, gravity filters and pump filters. All have their place and advantages and disadvantages
Only on the Missouri River and in salt water have I brought along drinking water

Mostly in WI ... inland lakes, rivers, and reservoirs, and other camping on lakes Michigan and Superior. No mountain hiking in the foreseeable future.

I filter what I drink and the water I cook with gets boiled.

Gravity filters are very popular now and Sawyer seems to be the most well thought of with Katadyn at the bottom of the pile.

What makes Sawyer better?

Come to think of it, I know I have a small pump filter somewhere in the basement from the last time we camped in the Apostle Islands ... I think that one might be a Sawyer brand, but I'm not sure. I need to dig that out and take a look at it.

What makes Sawyer better?

Come to think of it, I know I have a small pump filter somewhere in the basement from the last time we camped in the Apostle Islands ... I think that one might be a Sawyer brand, but I'm not sure. I need to dig that out and take a look at it.

People seem to find the Sawyer more trouble free and less likely the clog. Can easily back flush it with the provided syringe when it does start to slow down. Lots of complaints about the Katadyn filters plugging up on short trip.

Maybe the water is to blame. Maybe the Sawyer doesn't filter as fine. Or maybe they really do make a better product. I don't know but I'm not going to start doing comparison tests.

Alan

MSR Gravity filter now for rivers . Its held up to both the silty Green and the Yukon plus a few Superior trips.

For portaging trips though I am more prone to take my old(1991) MSR Miniworks filter. It can get water out of anything.. a trickle of a stream or punch through a bog. Its a bit heavy and the ceramic filter needs frequent cleaning ( and never let it freeze. It will crack) Some people complain it is slow and if your water is algae filled you wont get much more than a liter out of it before cleaning.. This is a problem in Wabakimi where there is little to disturb underwater plant growth.But in the same park where we found our 1500 m portage had no lake after it and hence was a 4000 meter portage the ability to get water on a hot day out of the ex-lake ( new bog) was lifesaving.

Two votes for MSR Miniworks filter pump- use it in canoe while paddling and at the campsite.
Our original was also 1991 vintage- wedding gift- but alas now sits on bottom of Isaac Lake in the Bowrons...
And agreed- regular cleaning of ceramic filter is a must but is dead simple.

Bruce

Dumb question- can you use a gravity filter in canoe while paddling or is it just when camped?
They do seem like they way to go for base camp but on a long lake we'll pump to fill water bottles as we go.

Bruce

We use an MSR gravity filter that I switched out with Sawyer filters. They are less expensive, less weight and work better.

​Especially in the Spring take the plunger that comes with the Sawyer filters to back wash the pine pollen out of the filter.

Dumb question- can you use a gravity filter in canoe while paddling or is it just when camped?
They do seem like they way to go for base camp but on a long lake we'll pump to fill water bottles as we go.

Bruce

You could keeping in mind that the higher the bag of water the greater the head pressure but with a shorter tube and a way to hang the bag, yes it could be done while paddling.

I'm between purchases, which is where you'll find me most days. My Katadyn Hiker Pro pump still works well despite it's age. Based on that several years ago I purchased a Katadyn gravity bag filter, using the same filter cartridge. How handy is that?! I was so pleased with the easy 10L gravity system I started leaving the pump at home. Stupid me I also left a new replacement filter at home as well. They don't back flush worth a darn btw. Curiously the old filter worked fine with the pump but not with the gravity system. Makes sense if you think about it, pump pressure being greater than mere atmospheric pressure. Anyway, I seem not to have been the only dissatisfied consumer, because soon after they introduced a new and improved filter cartridge for the gravity bag. And so here I am, fairly happy with a pump and filter that'll give me a few more years of dependable clean water, but a filterless bag system needing a replacement cartridge. Do I splash out the cash for the "upgrade"? ( $ 46 cartridge for 1500L water filtration). Or maybe slip an in-line filter from say Sawyer? ( $ 30 "squeeze" cartridge for 100,000 gals water filtration). Platypus also has a gravity similar one. ( $ 55 for 1500L water filtration). My wife likes the idea of installing the Sawyer(s) in-line with our camelbacks and leave the gravity filter at home permanently. They're bulkier than anything else but would be so convenient to use. We'll see. I won't be leaving the pump at home anymore. I don't mind boiling water for cooking or whatever, but having cool potable water easily available is so danged nice at the end of a portage, and so damnably depressing when it isn't. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:
We have very good luck with the Katadyn Pocket Filter.
With it, we use a Sweetwater Silt Stopper prefilter and Katadyn Carbon post filter.
It has been very reliable and provides good tasting water.
On the downside, it is relatively heavy and expensive.

Steripen here, with the pre filter. No backwashing, light weight, and just as fast as my Katadyn hiker pro. A couple extra lithium batteries also are in the kit.

We use a MSR gravity system, with a 4L raw bag with the auto-stop valve for filter tubing. I like that style, due to not having the filter or tubing coming into contact with the raw water while filling. I can get back to camp, hang the bag, and then connect the filter.
I filter into MSR bladders. We have several small bladders, and four of the 10L (2.64gal) bladders. They make great ballast to move around the boat. The 10L MSR bladders are black, and make for a great solar hot water shower at the end of the day.

Image 1.jpg

The 4L raw bag with filter and tubing above is in the MSR drawstring bag in the picture below.
Below picture has 4 MSR 10L bladders, with multifunction caps, the spigot dispensing caps, faucet rubber adapter for filling the raw bag if needed, spare filters, and post carbon filters. Kind of a pick and choose system.

Last edited:
We boiled, we filter, but that is mostly for the others in our trips. Us, we drink strait out of the lakes and rivers!!

I own a dry bag that we're not overly fond of. It has all the attributes I desired, rubbery waterproof, seals well, clear so I could easily see the contents...but it grips just about everything it comes contact with making it a wrestling match to slide into packs. It might be a prime candidate for a DIY gravity bag system. I've seen the videos on youtube, just haven't found the plumbing fittings necessary for this little adventure in DIYing.
That no-sew fabric of Mike's would be well suited for such an experiment.

Back