• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Watch this masterpiece build video while you're dreaming of soft water

Pretty cool ! I'd be ALL wore out, trying to build one of those !!!

Thanks for sharing !

Jim

I love the paddle. There was a lot of work put into that canoe but it looked pretty unstable to me. Just as easy to make a wood or wc canoe from what I saw. And he sure looked like he had the skills for it.

Yeah he did not look terribly stable paddling those frigid waters. But it was still very cool to watch. Yes the paddle was quite interesting too.

By the looks of his house, shop and the sharpness of tools he's put a few thing together. I like the Pine Tar finish

He was bound to look tipsy in the round bottomed canoe, but I wonder how it would've handled had he thought of carving it with some rocker? Rather poetic had it handled like a leaf.
It was no mean feat doing all that with hand tools. I was totally faked out by the initial extreme tumblehome before he steam bent the sides over that fire.
I remember the smell and enjoyment of the pine tar and torch treatment of wooden Nordic skis once upon a time.
I loved the looks of that fluted blade he carved. I doubt he was worried about any efficiencies or performance in paddle or canoe, just a celebration of skills and wood. What is it about watching and listening to a sharp blade in steady hands carve out clean shavings from a block of wood? He really is an artisan sculptor. I enjoyed that, thanks Red.

Wow!
Patience is his virtue!
I was thinking he might have used a chainsaw that was not shown. How would he have cut the slots to speed up the hollowing out portion of the build. What hand tool can do plunge cuts like that?
Extremely impressive nevertheless!
Now imagine doing that without the wide array of hand tools, as some native peoples around the world have done for centuries...

There is a similar video called Birth of a Wooden House which I believe is made by the same people. Very impressive mostly hand tool build. Labour of Love is the same thing I'd call that one too. It's amazing to see people out there with these incredible skills with the hand tool, much like so many here on this site.

Really neat video, thanks for sharing.

A few years ago I came across a video of some natives from the Pacific Northwest building a large dugout canoe. It was all done with hand tools except they also used a chainsaw to speed up the process of hollowing it out.

I believe the common way to hollow them out historically was with fire.

Alan

Back