• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Want to buy Black Bart paddles

Reaction score
I’m looking to find two Black Bart paddles: one bent shaft in the 49-51” range and one straight shaft (troublemaker) in the 53-55” range. I’m willing to pay dearly, and fairly, based on condition and rarity. I also have some very nice paddles I might offer for partial or full trade. I’m in Minneapolis and am happy to cover shipping costs. I’ve been watching and waiting and looking elsewhere for a while with no success so I figured I would post here. Hope someone has a lead! Pic for attention.

Attachments

• 72513A3B-819D-4614-BD0F-400B56B5BFF2.jpeg
    72513A3B-819D-4614-BD0F-400B56B5BFF2.jpeg
    264.1 KB · Views: 5
I have a 52 inch that I obtained from Bud Moll several years ago, just a week before he was killed on his motorcycle while hitting a bear. Possibly his very last paddle. My first carbon bent shaft paddle in my fleet. This paddle has served me during thousands of miles of training and during five Yukon River canoe races and dozens of Adirondack 90 milers. It remains in excellent shape with no nicks in the blade, in spite of a slightly worn label. It has served me well with a lot of memories and meaning with plenty of life left for more paddling trips I have in mind. So I am not willing to part with it for less than $1M.

1639242651034.png

Sorry. well at least you know they are out there. Good luck with your quest.
No worries at all. Hardly a secret that these are special paddles, and I appreciate another confirmation my search is worthwhile even if yet fruitless. Someday, maybe, though $1M might not be feasible even if I sold all the other paddles I could ever find.

Thanks a lot. I sent a few messages to the seller with no response as of yet.

Happy to say I was able to purchase the 50” from the ad listed above. Thanks for the tip. It’s in great shape and I’m a happy customer. She still has a 53” bent available.

My quest for a straight shaft black bart continues.

@Clint the link dead ends, perhaps the paddle sold already?

I was lucky to track down some of the paddles I was after. They’re great. I would still be interested in a 52-53” straight shaft or a 49” bent shaft.

Thanks for thinking of me.

@Clint the link dead ends, perhaps the paddle sold already?

I was lucky to track down some of the paddles I was after. They’re great. I would still be interested in a 52-53” straight shaft or a 49” bent shaft.

Thanks for thinking of me.
Kona it must have. That was fast. It was a 49" bent shaft. No problem. I'll messenger her and see if it did indeed sell.

As much as I really like my 52" BB bent (it was my first Yukon racing paddle), I also have a selection of GRB carbon bents in sizes ranging from 48" to 52". They all perform pretty much the same and I woud not hesitate in getting another GRB if I needed one. I am sure Gene would make one of any size you like with a straight shaft if you ask. https://www.grbnewmandesigns.com/paddles-and-accessories

Thanks for checking on the 49”.

And thanks for the GRB tip. About a year ago I asked via email if they would do a straight shaft symmetrical and they said it wasn’t a priority. I have been meaning to order a GRB6°

Nice looking Barton paddles (different from the black barts). I have had a couple of Barton’s, both from their original Michigan owner and from after the business was sold to a Minnesota proprietor. I think they were bought out?

Most Barton’s I’ve seen were on the beefier end of the carbon build range/weight, though one from the MN shop was considerably lighter. I recently saw a barton straight shaft, which I was not previously aware of. Not perfectly symmetrical if I remember correctly but still a nice paddle. The Barton’s have a medium-large blade size. Here is a picture with one of my Barton’s, which is now in regular use by a friend.

FC012F47-1BAF-48C1-A257-04ABCFB1F844.jpeg

I have an old Barton paddle that still gets some love and it's a great paddle. I still keep watching this thread for a Black Bart though.

I have a symmetrical Barton carbon grip on my carbon ZRE straight paddle. ZRE only had asymmetrical grips 10 years ago when I bought the straight paddle, but they had one left-over Barton grip available from a bunch they had scrounged when Barton went out of business.

Back