• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Vinegar Spray Bottle Nope

G

I was pleased to add a handy spray bottle of vinegar to the shop collection of water, soapy water and alcohol all in spray bottles.

I used an empty Windex bottle, thinking that something holding, ahem, 2-hexoxyethanol, isopropanolamine, sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate, lauramine oxide, ammonium hydroxide, fragrance, and Liquitint sky blue dye would withstand vinegar.

That is a nope. Just went to use some vinegar and found a puddle around the spray bottle. The vinegar ate through the bottom of the Windex bottle in a weeks time.

I will try a 409 bottle next time, that has worked for well for 90 percent alcohol as a spray receptacle.

That seems to be more a case of the wrong plastic bottle for the wrong product...I have two bottles of vinegar on my shelves right now that are off brand and plastic...one is a good 4 years old and not soft or deformed in any way. Plenty of places on a work bench where melting bottles would make a serious mess or even ruin some wood or built up pieces...
Hard to belive that Windex bottle gave up so quick!

I've got a plastic Cokec bottle that has my alcohol blend for my little burner stove...always thought that was an unlikely combination but so far so good.

Have to be more thoughtful where the overspray and drips from my vinegar goes from now on.* Thanks for the heads up.

*(I used an old bicycle drinking bottle for vinegar and it killed it pretty quick, I just thought it had reached a point of just being too old, one day it just started to crack all over)

Windex and most general cleaning products are alkaline, vinegar while a good cleaning product is acid. You may run into the same issue with any of the cleaning products that are alkaline ... I don't think a lot of them use vinegar/acid anymore, the cheapest solution may be to just grab a polyethylene spray bottle at the hardware store.

Brian

Pretty much all of the 1 liter vinegar and water bottles are polyester. I use a lot of vinegar in the canning season and often reuse the bottles for pickle juice. I have never given any thought to a plastic bottle that was not vinegar resistant.

Pretty sure vinegar jugs in Canada are almost exclusively polyethylene and any water bottles I use (tripping) have all been PolyCarbonate ... of course a lot of water bottles are made of polyethylene ....

Brian

I simply use the bottles that dehumidifier cleaner comes in! 60% muriatic is a lot more acidic than 4% acetic!

I simply use the bottles that dehumidifier cleaner comes in! 60% muriatic is a lot more acidic than 4% acetic!

Spray bottles of dehumidifier cleaner? I'll look for those.

We run a dehumidifier 24/7 in the basement gear room, with a hose to the sump pump.

(BTW, this was a test. Posts written directly to the reply box do show up uncorrupted then using apostrophes and "quotation marks"

Vinegar belongs in glass bottles. Like champagne. And perfume.

Woe to the unsuspecting boater who uses or . . . agh! . . . sits on accessories cleaned by low quality white vinegar. Instead of fungicidal apple cider vinegar. Or preferred-by-connoisseurs imported balsamic vinegar.

(My tests show that apostrophe's and "quote" marks don't cut off text that is typed directly into the CTN reply box, but do when text is originally typed in MS Word and then pasted into the CTN reply box. A sour situation.)

While using vinegar to wipe up or down smal spills, drips and everything that gets a smudge or two...a caution on metal tools, especially old ones.* You might think of cleaning, then wiping down once the epoxy is cleaned off, with a mild soap and water solution then a dab of WD-40 or cooking oil...I found a few good tools that I cleaned up and then forgot about, all seemingly discolored some by vinegar etching on their surfaces where I cleaned.

*I first learned and then forgot this lesson on a fine old handsaw given to me by my g'dad almost 50 years back...got the sap, smudges etc off it, was thinking of putting some polish on the metal and buffing out the handle a bit just to restore a little...forgot the vinegar wipe on the blade and it grew some ugly stains and discolorations by the time I remembered that cleanup work was still to be done..

Back