• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Video, of a guy tipping a canoe over in the middle of a Minnesota Lake

Pseudonym,
Ahoy. Happy to hear of people that have paddled the John Day.
My friend was paddling solo and sunk his boat in about 4 feet of water. Unfortunately he had my great uncle;s Dutch Oven from 1935 in his boat. I managed to ferry to his location and just get a throw rope to him and his canoe. I dragged the oven by the bail and lid across the bottom of the river to get it back. It is even more valuable to me now.

We ran the river in flood at 6,600 cfs. There were huge haystacks and few places to line the boats or portage.

Pseudonym,
Ahoy. Happy to hear of people that have paddled the John Day.
My friend was paddling solo and sunk his boat in about 4 feet of water. Unfortunately he had my great uncle;s Dutch Oven from 1935 in his boat. I managed to ferry to his location and just get a throw rope to him and his canoe. I dragged the oven by the bail and lid across the bottom of the river to get it back. It is even more valuable to me now.

We ran the river in flood at 6,600 cfs. There were huge haystacks and few places to line the boats or portage.
Ppine, hello and nice rescue! Certainly an even more precious heirloom indeed thanks to a story like that. I'm sure your great Uncle would smile!

The John Day was my first western river and I'll never forget it. We ran it in early June 2022 and it peaked at 14,000+ CFS (a bit of an anomaly). Truthfully, it was not really suitable for our canoes but we picked our way down from Thirty Mile to Cottonwood Bridge (if memory serves).

One day on the river, an old timer in a dory rowed by us and said "A little high for canooooes ain't it boys?" and that line became the running joke of our trip. I spent my youth hunting the thalweg on bony Maine rivers, and that trip was the complete opposite: hiding on the inside of every river bend and trying to avoid the big water. We didn't always.

One lovely benefit to the rains that caused the high water was that the river canyon was a verdant green rather than the usual dusty brown. That made everything seem especially magical.

I rescued a young woman on a kayak blown out into LI Sound. When she launched from the beach she was in the lee. Farther out the full force of the wind kept her from returning. I spotted her as we were furling sail before going in. We could just see the flash of her paddles, but it looked wrong. We decided to head out to investigate and offer assistance.
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah. Well, no."
"I can bring you aboard, and tow the kayak."
"Can you?"
I did, though bringing her aboard involved wrapping my arms around her waist and dumping her on deck.

Pseudo,
Great story. You were much further down the in the drainage. The 6.600 was between Service Creek and Clarno.
I have always wanted to run it again. I got some newbies in over their heads. Next time I am taking the drift boat.

There is no way I would have put a video of my stupidity out there. I don't even clutter up my fish and ski motor boat like that. Things should have been strapped in, out of the way and I would've been on my knees for better stability and/or praying. Why do people think it can't happen to them.
Just my 2 cents worth.

that canoe looked like a yard sale even before he tipped it over.. no organization, no discipline, not a good start
throw it all in the boat and hope the merciless gods of wind and water will treat you kindly for your ignorance ? not a plan.

I've thought about an electric motor, but would mount it in the bow bass-fishing style, and use it more for boat positioning while fishing, than travelling. Thing is, I like to paddle hard, why would I let the motor do it ?

in a snowstorm with the wind gusting high, came out of Lewis creek into the lake, had to cross over to get to our takeout. Looked at the waves, and went the long way around staying close to the shore.. open water crossings spook me at the best of times.

A canoe is not a particularely seaworthy craft.
I came across this video at some point during a speck of research into what these types of boats can and cannot do, and was horrified, I'm glad the dude made it out alive, though. Nobody needs dead bodies, no matter how stupid people are.

Man's made all the mistakes in the book though.

I just watched this again, and still think that this guy might have capsized on purpose, as a video fundraising stunt. He didn’t make any attempt to save himself, other than yelling out help, as if he believed help was nearby.

He didn’t make any attempt to save himself, other than yelling out help, as if he believed help was nearby.

If I remember right he called out something like "help me, God" so, I guess, he did believe help was nearby.

I think it was real and that the guy is just a doofenschmertz.

Alan

I just watched this again, and still think that this guy might have capsized on purpose, as a video fundraising stunt. He didn’t make any attempt to save himself, other than yelling out help, as if he believed help was nearby.

I went back and watched it again because I needed a good chuckle and, you know, you might be onto something.

Those were some pretty lame calls for help immediately after the capsize. He should have been well aware there were no boats nearby and that much louder yells would be required.

At first it seems silly to think that someone would intentionally lose all that equipment in hopes to turn a profit but perhaps he thought this was his chance to create a set of viral videos that would generate millions of views and bring him internet fame and riches. Maybe there were more clues in the follow up videos but I can't bring myself to watch them.

Either way the guy is still a doofenschmertz.

Alan

A lot of inexplicable stuff happening. Gear loaded haphazardly, a lot of gear. For what purpose? Motoring and paddling At the same time. Why? Paddling far out from shore, with no apparent paddling skills. Why? No attempt to save himself. The calls for help were lame. Yet help came. Perhaps help was already known to be nearby. To me, these all suggest a planned video opportunity.

Last edited:
I so much want to google doofenschmertz but it took me days to correct the algorithym, I ain't going down that rabbit arse again.

I so much want to google doofenschmertz but it took me days to correct the algorithym, I ain't going down that rabbit arse again.

LOL. I mentor a couple boys and they started calling each other that name. Apparently Dr. Doofenschmertz was a character in some ridiculous cartoon. I quite liked the name and use it often.

Alan

LOL. I mentor a couple boys and they started calling each other that name. Apparently Dr. Doofenschmertz was a character in some ridiculous cartoon. I quite liked the name and use it often.

Alan

1709850378019.png

1709850574687.png

Attachments

• 1709850477219.png
    1709850477219.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 1

Alan

Insults preferably should be orthographic and not cacographic. Doofenschmirtz is the spelling, as @recped reports, unless you are making a sophisticated word pun in German, in which case you must get approval from @kahel or @Aslowhand.

@PaddlingPitt, does your skeptical scam interpretion survive the second video, in which he involved the police, and the third video, in which he involved a scuba team?

Insults preferably should be orthographic and not cacographic. Doofenschmirtz is the spelling, as @recped reports,

Insults preferably should be understood by the victim without them having to resort to the dictionary. Unless, of course, the insult was given for your personal pleasure, in which case them having to look up the meaning of the words would be even more entertaining (to the giver, not the receiver).

In any case I was happy to be only one letter off.

Alan

Back