• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

video: Mad River Canoe restoration

That was enjoyable. Thanks for taking the time.

Your work space is too clean. I don't think I could get anything done if I wasn't tripping over something or knocking things off the bench every time I tried to clear room.

Alan

Robin - If this is what retirement can look like I think I'm interested! Thanks for always sharing your work. It's great to see; although I agree with Alan that your work space looks too clean. I don't do anywhere near what you show and mine isn't quite so Spartan (LOL).

That's all for now. Take care, thank again and until next time...be well.

snapper

I had a basement that looked like yours Robin, right up until I moved in.

Great job on the canoe.

Last edited:
Thanks Robin for the peek into you shop. Enjoyed the video; it prompts me to ask a question of you and anyone who has two cents worth to contribute: I traded an old circular saw for an OT guide 147. It's a plastic tug but I got it for the grandkids to knock around in (they want to paddle my boats; I love 'em...but not that much!). I'm thinking about replacing the plastic gunwhales and seats with ash, just cuz I don't like the look of the plastic. If it was yours would you invest the time and energy to do it?

Thanks all. I thought it might be fun to see how I work. I appreciate all those who bite their tongue and cut me some slack with my wood working ways...haha

The other half of the basement has alot of "stuff" cramed in there but it's not too bad. The chicks kick up alot of dust so I have been reminded that I will soon be giving that half a real good once over with the shop vac when they move outside.

Hi Doc,
I don't know much about the 147 OT Guide but I'm of the school wood trim makes any canoe look a whole lot better. But that's from my fondness for wood canvas canoes so I am biased. I bet your grandkids wouldn't know much difference but I can see where I would want to provide them with something a little more special. I would do it.

All the non wood canoes I re-rail are going up for resale, sooner or later, most sooner. I know what sells and for how much when done. I have two Mad River Legends royalex. Both canoes have been banged up with krinkles in the hulls from being pinned. The gunnels where in poor condition so I re-railed them with ash. I'm waiting for warmer weather to finish the hull repairs, the wood trim/seats are done. They look a whole lot better than before, but with the hull damage, they won't sell for much, not like the near mint MR Explorer hull I have. Someone who needs a white water boat will buy them. It was fun getting them back in shape.

Robin, that is likely the most fun video I’ll watch today. Thanks.

Our canoe restoration techniques are nearly identical, down to no-rabbet gunwales and top mounted deck plates.

It did make me want to bring my boats in one at a time and buff them. Did you use a paste wax or what?

One quick and easy trick you might appreciate. When I’m working on a canoe I want the hull to be a stable work platform. Flat bottomed hulls are OK, but having the vee bottom of a Mad River wobble from side to side is maddening, and rounded hull bottoms are no easier.

There are a variety of cradles and slings that folks use, but the easiest things I have found are these:

Chunks of scrap rigid ethafoam packing material, with a slot cut to fit tightly on the sawhorse crossbar, angled so the foam blocks are canted inwards (the arrows are so I stick them on the horses facing in the right direction).

Cheap (free), easy to adjust for different size hulls and chine curves, easy to put on a sawhorse and just as easy to take off, and they do a fine job of keeping the hull stationary while I drill or sand.

I gave a foursome to friend Willie at Slacker Boatworks and it may be the nicest thing I’ve given him yet. Not that there was a lot of competition.

Back