• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Versatility of a tandems as a solo

I have a different reason for turning the canoe around. My wife is too frail to paddle and is hydrophobic. The only safe way for me to paddle with her in the canoe is me solo backwards in the front seat and her in the rear seat.
I think most men are. When I flip the usual gender roles the gals do fine in the stern. But the guys in the bow freak out. They say that they are not used to seeing that much water and so little canoe in front of them

But the guys in the bow freak out. They say that they are not used to seeing that much water and so little canoe in front of them

It certainly is a different look and feel; like you're perched on a little chair over the ocean. I like paddling bow but unfortunately the rare times I paddle tandem it's even more rare to be with someone willing to paddle stern.

Alan

It is a big transition. I now have a partner who will paddle in the stern, sometimes.

I think most men are. When I flip the usual gender roles the gals do fine in the stern.
But the guys in the bow freak out. They say that they are not used to seeing that much water and so little canoe in front of them
For our19 ft Kaskazi Duo ARX tandem self bailing kayak I had the factory set up the rudder steering in the bow station for these reasons
1) when we paddle in the ocean off the beach and thru the surf line waves, my wife prefers that the waves crash on me
2) the bow is about as narrow as my surf ski is we're so I can use a wing paddle efficiently
3) I can see hidden oyster shells better in front since we paddle in the Florida intercoastal and cedar key
Our swift tandem canoe has an adjustable bow seat so I paddle it from the rear so my much trimmer wife can paddle easier in front but the canoe is still trimmed properly
We only canoe in Florida flat water

Reminder to self. Make reservations for RV park outside Cedar Key.
We really like that area but don't like that canoes and kayak launch is not permitted at the harbor launches as of this year
Got told to launch on one of several beaches or Bridge 4. AKA Oyster Bar Blues

The last two times I bow paddled with a partner weren't good. One made me do all the work, while he ruddered a small stream in the BWCA. The last was a guy on an ego trip, bossing me around from the stern, on a tree strewn small stream. Bow paddlers CAN see danger usually before the sterns man.

I pretty much favor the solo...

I love bow paddling, both on flat water and in white water, but I seldom get to do it. I really enjoy making those big cross bows in the middle of a bunch of frothing water, and the feel of being waaaaaaaaaaay up there going over haystacks. On lakes, bow paddling gives me a chance to really become a thoughtless blob of automatic paddling. However, at my current weight, its hard to find a meaty sternsmen to balance me out, and I fear I will be delegated to the stern, or go solo, for most of my paddling career.

Yah man the bow rocks! OTOH if you don't see that rock your partner can dog you for years!
I once. Once paddled with a bow paddler that was tall and thought the stern should do all the steering.
And took no interest in missing rocks
Once not twice

My grandson has a problem getting into the swing of things in the morning and is usually good for a rock or two before his father wakes him with a shower. I paddled with a women who used to raise her paddle horizontally over her headed with both hands on the paddle as soon as we hit moving water.

Sfm I have your dogs brother, he even has the same hair dimple above the tail, but mine will not get into a canoe.

I have the same problem as Mem....the fat chick always ends up in the stern. Which is ok, but changing around once in a while would be good too. Plus it would give Karin more practice with her boat control. And I really suck at dodging rocks so I could use some bow time...but we would need a beat up old royalex for that.

Christy

... Sfm I have your dogs brother, he even has the same hair dimple above the tail, but mine will not get into a canoe.

Brown seems to be the most popular color for canoe dogs. Here is a link to a picture Canotrouge posted. He's not abusing his dog as ballast, though.fetch?photoid=47061.jpeg

I wish, but the only place he will be quite(winning) is right in front of me.... He doesn't take part in many canoe trips for that reason, and that he needs tone the first boat in the front... As much as I like the dog, he will be my last Choco lab!!

No Title

Great topic! Never thought there were so many tandem solo-ers. I use a Swift Kipawa (asymetric 16'6") with the bow/stern seats removed and a solo seat installed. It's basically a pickup truck... and I trust it completely when it has a load. I'm bringing it up to Crown land beside Wabakimi for a 10-day solo starting mid-June.

image hosting without account

Attachments

• photo4694.jpg
    photo4694.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
It all started for me, solo in a tandem, a 17' Loweline canoe. I'd bow sit, backwards, and stop to pick up rocks on the river where I paddled.
A beast to portage. I was young then. Now my solo Kevlar, at almost half the weight, suits me better !

I just ordered a new Northstar Polaris tandem from BMO for several reasons....hoping to get the wife out paddling, and wanting more stability and load capacity for my week long fishing excursions. I had Northstar remove the kneeling thwart and put in a third seat for me. I will be able to paddle it bow forward and it should work out pretty well.

Fishing out of the narrow 14' Yellowstone Solo was not pleasurable for me. Friday I am picking up a Swift Raven RX boat to try as a dedicated solo as well.

I am picking up a Swift Raven RX boat to try as a dedicated solo as well.

Not a light boat. Mine is 65 lbs. It's way more voluminous than a Yellowstone Solo.

However I would swap. I don't need the Raven now that the dog is dead and am ISO a YS.

Not a light boat. Mine is 65 lbs. It's way more voluminous than a Yellowstone Solo.

However I would swap. I don't need the Raven now that the dog is dead and am ISO a YS.

I am hoping the Raven will be a better fit for me (190) with a 40 pound dog and 85 to 100 pounds of gear. I am going to hang onto the YS until I see how the Raven will work for my application. I am ok with the extra weight as I will mostly be river tripping with no ports etc.

Back