• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

vBulletin/Updates/Other Site Problems

Reaction score
I have been working in the background trying to figure out the cut and paste problem for a while now. Being that I have zero training in vBulletin I have come up short. Although I work in IT I am mostly hardware and networking and programming and development (code) is an area I am lacking in and that is where the problem lays.

So, I have been searching for someone local (US) that I can work this out with. I had a potential person but they seemed to have bailed out, stopped responding. But I am in touch with another person with the skills and experience to fix the problems as well as run much needed updates and we will be talking sometime this week. I realize these problems have been frustrating for all especially new users.

I am trying to take care of this after work and on weekends as well so I ask that you all bear with me a little longer and keep your fingers crossed that it happens this time around. I also am informing the site as I want you know where your donations from the fund raiser are going, seems fair to let you know. I will post again when, hopefully, things start happening.

dougd

Thanks for your efforts Doug. I've never had a problem posting directly to the site with a laptop or computer.

What with all the devices/cut and paste etc folks use these days a small ad free site with volunteer admins like this might be a thing of the past. Finding a stateside IT guy who is affordable for this site is hard. Keeping them is even harder.

Good Luck my friend..

Yes, Doug. Thanks for your efforts. For your information, I have been using a Mac, and have been able to copy and past text directly to this site. The only glitch is making sure that I do not use punctuation, other than commas and periods. I know that apostrophes, quotation marks and hyphens do not work for me. I have generally not been able to upload images using the camera icon. I usually receive an immediate response that my session has timed out. I also have not been able to copy and past images onto the site. I signed up for Flickr, and have been able to upload images to the site using that process. Once I got the hang of it, not too bad.

Doug - Thanks for all you've done since taking over. Between you & Robin, I'm not sure where this community would have been other than lost.

Not promising anything but if this person you're talking to falls through, let me know. My son-in-law does work like this and if he isn't able to, he might know someone who could. No promises but at least I'd be willing to talk to him about it; or have him contact you directly if he thinks he could take it on.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Doug, I suppose you've already noticed that the problem with the apostrophe, and other punctuation, seems to occur when the post also includes images. When the post is just text, everything seems OK. For example, two of the posts above contain an apostrophe. So does this post. I will post, and see if it comes across. Could be that the apostrophe is poster-specific.

I post directly to the site, no matter a short post like this or a long trip report with many images that takes hours, always on a lap top or computer. I've never had an issue with apostrophe's or any other punctuation.
I use Google for my image hosting and sometimes I have issues with that, but it's always my fault for not hitting the correct "share" choice.
uSNUn0EV2mXhF_Irk9VCKOtPXjYgZXqDUTlLQSRP_EmVie1RZnG-fJlMDbnTpn3970xiATzvuyIO8C-Ybfsi2vXnlmIL_Zluxkx73TG9y0n0pbe4EXTax9WPn-irwBKZzVAimkBTUsIPe8tYs5p9hDbwrpzgYEfvlozP7WbnquUzxDj0b29FFK8nxPWHYOVPRwMFkSvKeyEwxAgoUTeL5qBmDVbpG-SbflAzKs-UC-puu_ByoE5kQHyd5pfC2L4wvOdpFMrpskg9nBiYY27wtIP1tMgMO4P2kiYAZxLWjjQZ7ku6eMpyhsoof3oFq-ft2jTVHxWI5S7kf3d9Ls3Yhx4klST5GJPWVuFViDs_LV_9QwQ2PWyIii6Q3t0HShLAk27g7WhnlLNHYNqnTvc443rf6PPubxT82yAkpJp-TXY1lT2XpLLL9Y2bAMjlyPcXO8yEtnRtbgfw8J0WIYAMl0OISeUqCaJx4N_aolYMaDm_lQuAbhEdndGYtmCfDSLzXsGthk38VL9r9Q8S79-MpViu_62an8YwxCKiOWXTGezIM515IeflOGEBDBRiwfxohYTepZ-20jbGd5kGipZxBCV22eurBnj31-FDBqpLTCk3vOiH6nJew9aCwL22yss=w1583-h616-no

So, Robin. I tried it. I uploaded an image to google photos, for my Coppermine River topic. I included text that had three apostrophes. No problem whatsoever! So the apostrophe problem seems to be associated with how Flickr uploads images.

Robin, thanks again for your help. Going through the share icon first, and then the Google icon, did allow the image to be seen by people other than me. Before that, with my first attempt with the image, my wife Kathleen could see the borders of the box where the image was supposed to be, but the box was empty. Like it was wanting to reveal the image, but was waiting for more specific instructions. Interesting.

Also, even when I viewed the topic as just guest, I could still see the image that others could not see. I did not have to be signed onto canoetripping.net under my ID. I guess it's because I am always signed into goggle through my email, so Google somehow "told" canoetripping that it was really me, and not just some random guest. I don't know if that makes sense?

Back