• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Vacuum Sealing Mylar Bags

I believe the mylar bags are stronger and less permeable than the regular plastic bags for the purpose ..... BUT .... you can't use a regular sealer for them, they require a unit specifically for mylar as the melting point is much higher.

If you search for a mylar vacuum sealer, it should pop lots of choices .... but as always .... better equals $$$$ and you have to judge what it is worth to you.

Brian

Just buy Foodsaver bags, expensive but they work (cheaper when you buy rolls and create your own bags of a custom size). Foodsaver bags have 5 layers and the "waffle" pattern ensures that you extract as much air as possible. You simply cannot get the same results with ordinary single layer / flat bags unless you have an industrial vacuum machine.

I've been using alternate brand pouches and rolls for a couple years now. Good performance and noticeable reduction in cost. Off the top of my head; OutOfAir, ShieldNSeal, Angel Love. I do quite a bit of food sealing and prefer the rolls.

Food saver are good and it is what I currently use ... having said that, I routinely get them puncturing on the sharp edges of the dehydrated food.

Given the cost, it is irksome to have to double bag to avoid punctures, once the vacuum is applied. So I can see why ppl would look for alternatives, that is one of the reasons I was also looking at mylar bags.

Brian

I most often use a vacuum sealer when there is a bounty of fish or wild game so it's a few bags at a time. I like pre-made bags, preferably FoodSaver Sous Vide bags for this because even with a double seal at the top it goes much faster than making a bunch of bags off of a roll. The durability gives me the kind of confidence to thaw red meat in the refrigerator without a plate underneath it and bring steaks or an omelette-in-a-bag when tripping sans-cooler. If I use rolls I will double seal each end or double-bag... either way it adds quite a bit of time to the process.

This thread has me thinking that I might be a bit gun-shy from having bad experiences with machines and rolls bought on the basis of cost alone in the past. I should try some out again as the cost advantage is undeniable. I'd love to hear a testament to reliability for a brand other than FoodSaver. Has anyone had a bad experience with any of the other brands?

Food saver are good and it is what I currently use ... having said that, I routinely get them puncturing on the sharp edges of the dehydrated food.

Given the cost, it is irksome to have to double bag to avoid punctures, once the vacuum is applied. So I can see why ppl would look for alternatives, that is one of the reasons I was also looking at mylar bags.

Brian

I've sometimes used a paper towel as an extra buffer between the sharp edges on the bag. Also for short term storage you don't actually need the max vacuum. The only time I've had puncturing (from contents) is when I've applied full vacuum on things like pasta.

I have not tried the alternatives but there is no question branded FoodSaver bags are overpriced for what they are. I think of them as the MSR of food storage!

I've sometimes used a paper towel as an extra buffer between the sharp edges on the bag. Also for short term storage you don't actually need the max vacuum. The only time I've had puncturing (from contents) is when I've applied full vacuum on things like pasta.

I have not tried the alternatives but there is no question branded FoodSaver bags are overpriced for what they are. I think of them as the MSR of food storage!

Great tip on the vacuum. I was wondering about that.

Back