• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

UV Inhibited Epoxy

Reaction score
Well as it seems everybody is getting ready for a Spring build, I thought I'd throw out my observations on RAKAs UV Inhibited Epoxy, with Slow hardener.

Yesterday, I set up a simple test. I wanted to compare the UV epoxy to RAKAs 127 with 350 Non-blush hardener.
Started by mixing 30ml of each, and wetting out three samples of cloth. One sample of Kevlar, one of E-glass tape, and one of Carbon fiber wrap.
I took some pics
IMG_0349_zps6wbznz9w.jpg
IMG_0350_zpsybpzekwd.jpg
IMG_0347_zpsgwsvg7jf.jpg
IMG_0353_zpsx3v5meyw.jpg

First thing I noticed was the color difference. As you can see in the above photo, I could tell no difference. The E-glass tape on the bottom was with the UV epoxy.

As far as pot life, they seemed similar in my use. Both mixed cups kicked over about the same time.

For wet out, I believe the UV epoxy has a slightly lower viscosity, as it seemed to wet test pieces out a little better.
For the Kevlar, and Carbon fiber, everything seemed the same, except the UV epoxyhad a slight edge as far as wet out.

I used a plastic pail for a simulated hull, and for the ease of test strip removal.

I think I'm going to like RAKAs UV Inhibiter Epoxy with slow hardener, at least for now. Time will be the real test. And I plan to use this on my current stripper. Just waiting for things to warm up a little out side.

Thanks for indulging me !

Jim

Let us know what you find out. The standard drill of varnish over say System 3 epoxy takes some finesse to do well with the blush issues. It would be great to have an epoxy that can stand up to the UV light in a place like Nevada where we paddle from 5,000-9,000 feet

Are you going to leave your test strips out in the sun? Maybe test them against varnish? Has anyone ever used 303 aerospace protectant? I spray it on my canoe, but I haven't set up any sort of objective test. The next time I lay up some kevlar I'll make some test strips.

I will take those strips of E-glass out in the weather, and full Sun. That's a great idea !

The salesman at RAKA said I'd have no blush issues.
RAKA still recommends a varnish on top.

I've not used the 303.

In the next couple weeks I hope to add to this experiment. I will be laminating Kevlar strips with standard epoxy and then using various uv blocking coatings. I'm planning to do straight epoxy, varnished epoxy, and epoxy with 303. Then I'll just leave them to age in the sun. The Kevlar will brown as the UV damage takes effect, so it should be a pretty good indicator. I'll do one 303 treatment only treating it once and another where I spray more 303 on every couple weeks or so. I haven't decided on the interval yet. I spray my boats with 303 before every trip I go on anyway. It only takes a couple minutes. I might do a third 303 treatment that I spray with a hose to simulate the hull in the water. I don't know how long the 303 is supposed to last when in wet conditions. Heck, maybe I'll just leave that strip in a pan of water.

I'll be interested in seeing your results. One idea I've seen others do when conducting similar tests is to completely block a small area from the sun with something like opaque tape. That lets you see how each method compares to the ideal.

Alan

That's a good idea. I was going to laminate an "untreated control" that I leave in darkness to compare, but it might be easier to see the difference if the UTC is actually part of the test strip.

Also, if anyone has suggestions for other treatments I'll glady add them to the test, especially if a free sample is sent my way. Maybe we could test all the brands of varnish everyone is using. Just send me any leftovers and I'll smear it on.

Last edited:
Back