• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Using tea for gravy

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of using Tea for gravy. I read where you fry up some venison in butter, then pour 1/2 cup or so of hot tea into the drippings for a really good gravy.

I would try it first, but I'd rather hear some first hand report.

And, if you have any other fried venison ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Well, wife is going shopping right from work,(someone in this family has to work):cool:, so I'm going out to the shop, fire up the wood stove and fry up some venison in a cold handle tonight, along with onions and some "tea gravy", let you know tomorrow how it all went.

I never got to the gravy. The onions and venison smelled so good, I just said the heck wit it and ate....I have some backstrap marinating in some average Italian dressing right now and tomorrow I will test the "gravy", well that's the plan, but cooking over a wood stove in the shop around all my gear and canoes with a cold one in hand after a day of chores...:(

Tea gravy sounds very interesting, I echo the idea that it sound like a lighter version of Red Eye Gravy.

I have had tea smoked asian style ribs at a restaurant before that were really good, so you could double up on the tea by smoking the meat in tea and then making a tea based gravy!

I tried again night before last, backstrap sliced thin, about 1/2 inch. I had to dress in wool, dig out the front of the gas grill and get the onions fried in butter first in the old cold handle frying pan.
Some more butter and I threw in 3 pieces of the venison....flipped em, took a bite and couldn't wait any longer.
Too hungry for gravy!
With snow melting from my boots on our hardwood floors, I enjoyed that most excellent meat while I caught heck from herself.;)

I'm going to try the other 3 pieces I have in the refrigerator tonight. I'm hesitant to try that tea gravy on such a fine piece of meat, but I'm going to throw a couple of potatoes in the wood stove early on and the gravy would be nice with them.
Another big decision for an old retired guy.:cool:

I did it, tea mied with the venison drippings was ok on the baked potatoes but I prefer my wife's gravy...flour I think, in the drippings, not sure, she might open a jar when I'm not looking, but I'm so used to what ever she does this didn't seem all that special.

Back