• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Ultra Lite Cot

Reaction score
I use this on motorcycle trips

Therm-a-Rest LuxuryLite UltraLite Cot ultra lite cot.jpg

I bought a prototype like the one above from the owner of the company, before he sold it to Thermarest. I have not used it yet, but it seems tedious to put together. After a week of sleeping on gravel bars it will be worth it to have an alternative to an inflatable. I was just watching a video about a guy in Maine that runs the Allagash R and he is over 80. It is okay to make some concessions to aging if it keeps you out there.

The airflow underneath makes it great for warm/hot weather camping. Cooler than laying on a sleeping pad. I use a cotton hostel sleeping bag and a blanket for those conditions. I really like it.

A friend a trip with, have ben using one for the last year, and loves it! Didn't loose anything yet, and set up in no time!!

I've been reading everything I can find about this cot. The last time out my Big Agnes mat developed a slow leak. Got a refund but am hesitant on what to buy next as a replacement. Will turn 78 in 2 weeks and this old body seeks more comfort. So I'm down to 3 choices. The cot, the high end NeoAir Xtherm and the MondoKing 3D. Anyone here have any experience with either of the later two mattresses.

Gerald

That Luxurylite cot looks comfortable, but would take the amount of time to set up, equivalent to setting up another tent.
If I base camped for several days in one spot, it would be great, or if I was just taking my time, and enjoying the setup process. ( I don't enjoy the setup process) Quick and easy is what I like .
I have an old canvas cot with steel poles, and three legs, that is similar. It is comfortable, but better suited for car camping.

The other thing that concerns me, is it looks like it would wear holes in my tent floor.

Nothing is perfect, but it does look comfortable !
Thanks for posting Sloride !

Jim

I've been reading everything I can find about this cot. The last time out my Big Agnes mat developed a slow leak. Got a refund but am hesitant on what to buy next as a replacement. Will turn 78 in 2 weeks and this old body seeks more comfort. So I'm down to 3 choices. The cot, the high end NeoAir Xtherm and the MondoKing 3D. Anyone here have any experience with either of the later two mattresses.

Gerald

Don't know either of those pads but if weight isn't a concern there is the NeoAir Dream. It is the 3" air mat inside a cover with a 1" foam top. It is 4 inches of comfort but at the price of 5 pounds. If you remove the cover with the foam pad, it packs smaller than a 6 pack, I also bought the NeoAir pump and it brings it up fast, I just hook it up and do other things while it inflates.

Karin

So I'm down to 3 choices. The cot, the high end NeoAir Xtherm and the MondoKing 3D. Anyone here have any experience with either of the later two mattresses.

I've got a Neoair Trekker. Not sure exactly what the differences are between it and the Xtherm. I got it this spring and put 50 nights on it over the summer. I'm happy with it. Can't compare it to similar pads as the last pad I used was an old (and thin) self inflating Thermarest about 5 years ago. I got the long and wide version and am glad I did. Still packs very small and not much of a weight penalty but I like it that my arms easily stay on the pad if I don't have them across my chest and I never had any issues with rolling off the pad.

Alan

I have the Neoair dream and love it other than the inflating part... I added a piece of reflextix and that thing is seriously warm!!

I have been thinking about a lightweight cot lately. The main thing that I want from it is to get me up off the ground a bit. It is difficult for me to get up from ground level. I am a side sleeper, so I don't sleep well in a hammock. I roll around a lot to redistribute the pressure on my shoulders. I have a trailer with fold down bunks 30" wide and a foot off the floor. With a 3" foam cot pad, I sleep really well. I have army cots, but they are heavy, bulky and a pain to set up. The Therm-A-Rest cot looks like a possibility, but it is low, narrow and too pricey to buy on speculation. The Helinox cot is even pricier and has too many fiddly plastic parts. I could try one of the Kamp-Rite economy cots to see how I like it. They are narrow and heavy, but cheap. If I find that I can get by on a 24" wide cot, I might try the Luxury-Lite cot or one of the Chinese clones. The clones probably use a cheaper grade of aluminum and I would be concerned about the plastic rings breaking. I would probably use a full size self inflating pad on the cot for additional comfort and warmth. The only other cot that I see that interests me is the Coleman Convertible Cot. It's wider and taller, but is still basically a folding chair and doesn't pack down very well. The tubing is steel, stronger, but heavier. In a canoe, that might be acceptable. It might be too tall for the tents that I have, especially if the walls aren't vertical.

Has anyone tried making their own? In Cache Lake Country, Life in the North Woods by John J. Rowlands, there's an illustration (page 185) of a simple cot made by sewing sleeves along all four edges on a doubled over length of canvas. Cut poles slide in the sleeves; the cot resting on 2 logs laid laterally head and foot. The doubled over canvas permits a wool blanket or cut balsam tips to be stuffed inside it for added comfort and warmth.

Back