• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Turtle Flambeau Flowage first canoe trip.

Oh, you needn't go to any trouble. The "it's not a good idea" is advice well taken. I'd be happy to go pay for over night parking. I just wasn't seeing much on Google Earth.

​Thanks very much for any advice!

Cary

I've parked at Murray's overnight many times and never had a problem. I live about 30 minutes away and if there were incidents I'm sure word would get around in this small community. There are usually three or four vehicles parked there for overnights every time I've gone in.

I emailed the property manager there to confirm, and I'll post here when I get a reply.

Confirmed by the DNR ... "Yes, there is overnight parking at Murray’s but no boarding dock. It’s a great area for canoeing."

Last edited:
I'm hoping for a September trip here. Overnight parking at Murray's Landing?

Update: I made it up there for a 3 night solo trip early last week. Plenty of room for overnight parking at Murray's Landing, and very easy to find. There are toilets at the landing, along with garbage and recycle dumpsters, a supply of color maps/brochures of the flowage area, and a "kids don't float" life jacket loaner station.

The only thing I found a little confusing was that if you are using the DNR map of the area, it looks like you will be in open water as soon as you head west from the landing. However, you actually have to paddle through a long winding channel cut through tall grass/reeds for about a mile or so. (Seems like it follows the original path of the Flambeau river for that stretch)

That stretch from Murray's to the Bonies Mound/Grant Creek basin is defined by water level. When the water is high, it is a straight crossing across a lake, in low water, it's a series of switchbacks along the river channel. The water level is determined by each of the dams preceding the Turtle Flambeau Flowage along the Manitowish Chain. Late summer into the fall is usually low water, as I have observed. I usually do a couple solo trips there in October and the water has nearly always been low.

Back